Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 07:54 AM

673 posts, read 2,716,390 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of affordable dog obedience classes in Central or South Austin? We're especially looking for ones that allow kids to attend (with the parents).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 03:42 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,122,230 times
we used bark busters for in home training. I think I have a discount code somewhere if you are interested.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:54 PM

112 posts, read 484,780 times
We used Exoor on Brodie Lane. They are wonderful people, good price, and they trained our once CRAZY dog to be a good dog! There were several kids in all of the classes, and the instructors did a wonderful job of including them! (512) 891-9393

Old 12-04-2008, 06:54 AM

Yeah, we have a crazy dog too - an Australian cattle dog who is strong and does just what he pleases. For now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:32 AM

110 posts, read 616,000 times
I don't have suggestions on who to go to, but since you have a cattle dog (also called a thinking dog by some dog trainers as herding dogs are thinking dogs), make certain that you go somewhere that has experience with herding or thinking dogs. Herding dogs can not be trained in the same way that lab or goldens are trained. They are not pleasers, but thinkers. Bear this in mind.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:33 AM

That's interesting. I wonder if there are any books on the difference in mentality. The staff member at Exmoor had a cattle dog and said their training program works for this breed. Even if it's a standard obedience class, I can ask about specific needs for cattle dogs (or follow-on training). We'd like to get into agility with him. I think we'd all enjoy it.

Exmoor, BTW, offers 1) Obedience and 2) Good Citizen. The price for Obedience is $89 for 6 evening classes. A great value.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,118 times
Australian cattle dogs have a huge ball drive, which is an innate trait, they need to "work" to fill secure and balanced. They do not neccessarily need a different type of training, just different motivators such as a ball, his favorite toy, agility course, or play time at the end of the session. Agility training would be great for him, when they can not "work" he will get bored, and frustrated which will cause hime to be unbalanced and eventually insecure which could have a negative impact on him. How old his he? Do you have access to anyone who has cattle, to let him drive cattle? If not that is fine you can get him into Agility Competition, and it would work just as well. They are great dogs, and can be excpetional companions when they are understood correctly. There are books you can get from a Petsmart or other pet specailty store they are full of all kinds of good information about specific breeds such as the Australian cattle dog.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:13 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,171 times
Isn't Bark Busters, like, $500? I'm curious about dog training as well. My (albeit small) dog jumps on people ALL THE TIME! Plus she's a maniac in the car.

But, I'm very much wondering about prices. Any suggestions that include prices would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin