Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 05:34 PM

23 posts, read 93,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
We came from the Seattle area. We used movers and had a great experience. If you use one of the "Big 3" (Allied, United, Mayflower) you should be fine.

Definitely check the Better Business Bureau though - because I believe that the various offices are operated independantly.

I think we used Allied - I would have to check my paperwork again... but they came when they said they would, I had contact with the driver the whole time, they gave me a great price and stuck with it... nothing was broken. We interviewed, probably, 6 companies...

I completely agree with everything above. I recently moved my family from San Diego to San Antonio and used Allied. Same deal--interviewed several co.'s, went with Allied and had a terrific experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 09:06 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,022,972 times
Quote:
about $4,000 total
WOW! I moved a 4 bedroom, 1700 sq ft house (5 family members) from Seattle and I paid less than this - had a moving company as I mentioned in my previous post, so I didn't have to load or unload ANYTHING - and they gave me all my boxes and any needed packing material for FREE.

Movers are the way to go people.

We did a trip estimate cost prior to moving, I think it was on the uhaul site... and like the cost quoted above, it just didn't make sense.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:06 AM

5 posts, read 19,315 times
Glenns, would you give a round number for what the move cost? How much of the packing did they do, both from your old place and the new?

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenns View Post
I completely agree with everything above. I recently moved my family from San Diego to San Antonio and used Allied. Same deal--interviewed several co.'s, went with Allied and had a terrific experience.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:23 AM

2 posts, read 8,898 times
Penske is the way to go. Call different dealers and negotiate the price. I have used them many times without any problems.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:58 AM

644 posts, read 3,314,448 times
Moving companies pull LOTS of scams. Charge you one price initially and then hold your stuff hostage until you pay more. Type in "moving scams" and do a search on the web. One company that has a lot of good reviews is ABF U-Pack Moving. They seem very affordable. You pack and unpack yourself.

Artie

Old 03-07-2007, 04:33 PM

23 posts, read 93,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneS View Post
Glenns, would you give a round number for what the move cost? How much of the packing did they do, both from your old place and the new?

Thank you.

I want to say that the total was just shy of $5K, I would have to find my paperwork to be sure of the exact cost. That was with me packing and unpacking the boxes, but the movers moving everything from each room into the truck and the same on unloading.

I think it was worth it and would use them again.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:56 PM

1,379 posts, read 6,405,934 times
Yah...well Seattle while its farther, isnt' California. Everything is more expensive in California. We originally looked at one of the big three movers and I was quoted 7500.00. I know it doesn't make any sense, but that is what my research showed.

Old 03-07-2007, 09:27 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,022,972 times
Oh, we got quoted a high price like that too - but we interviewed several different locations, all within the big 3. We had a range from mid $3000 to $7500.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:15 PM

7 posts, read 40,908 times
My hubby and I are leaving this weekend from Murrieta, CA to Austin. We are going to try and drive it in 2 days, one 11 hour day to El Paso and then a 9 hour day to Austin. Anyone have any suggestions about the drive?

Old 03-18-2007, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,447 times
My husband and I just moved from Southern California to a town near Austin last month. Due to our very limited budget, we posted on Uship.com and got our all stuff moved (we had a 1 bedroom apartment) for less than $700. The way it works is, these shippers pick-up several items from different people, and schedule pick-up and delivery on their route. Therefore, your stuff will be sharing space with other people's stuff. Make sure you have an itemized list so you know what items are included. Have the driver receive the items. Label your boxes clearly and on all sides, specially if items inside are fragile (though I suggest you carry those items in your car with you like we did). A word of caution though, we ran into a LOT of suspicious/bogus movers. I recommend bexpress81 (Broadway Express). Make sure you have a flexible schedule because delivery of items can take from 4 to 7 days from the time it was picked up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin