Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 11:37 AM

110 posts, read 523,636 times

Advertisements

My wife, 2 pre-teen kids and I are looking (online) at a community called Bella Lago, which is in the Eanes school district, tucked into one of the upward bends of Lake Austin. Cuernavaca is the street that takes you there off of Bee Caves Road. The homes seem to be in the $700-$900K range, and about 1 acre lots.

Our problem is, there seem to be a disproportionate amount of homes on the market there, and they stay on the market for a long time, both of which are warning signs for a less than desirable neighborhood. Bottom line is, people seem to be moving out and not many people are wanting to move in. But everything online looks really nice.

Does anyone on this forum have any information about this area? Do any of the forum's real estate professionals have any inside scoop you can share? We'd really appreciate any information you have (positive OR negative). Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 11:50 AM

361 posts, read 1,163,800 times
At one time, that area was referred to as the slums of Westlake. But it is located too well to stay that way forever. I wouldn't buy into Bella Lago...only because I think you can do better in that price range. As an investment, it probably won't do as well b/c you are buying into the most expensive neighborhood in that Cuernavaca peninsula.

If you buy into this neighborhood, your kids will go to great schools, and the location is convenient to a lot of Austin. Again though, I think you can do better, even in Westlake itself.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:56 AM

979 posts, read 2,955,306 times
700k+ is a high price point in Austin, and those homes generally take longer to sell unless they are in an area with very limited supply. I would check with a realtor to see how much Bella Lago has appreciated in the past few years.

I've noticed that when some areas see a lot of appreciation in a short period of time, the supply suddenly increases as people who are now equity rich look to cash in and move on and avoid paying the new property tax at the higher assessment.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 9,634 times
Default bella Lago

The homes in bella Lago are incredible. There are two scenarios going on right now. 1. A large real estate group in AZ owns a bunch of those homes and have put them on the market. I think its unknown overall and its underpriced in my mind. with a 2.3 tax rate and westlake make it incredible. You wont find a lower price per sq ft that close to the lake

Old 03-07-2007, 01:27 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,897 times
My husband was actually out off Cuernavaca in that exact area today previewing some homes for a buyer in the $700-$900K price range. What he noticed was that the area is a bit pockety - meaning that there are some developments of very old (30-50 years old) homes that are kind of run down - sort of vacation cottage or beach cottagey looking neighborhoods and these pockets are right near more of these newer, upscale tracts that you are looking at. So, the plus is you are in Westlake and you have lake proximity and all that good stuff, but the minus is that some of the gentrification that is needed in the older pockets does not seem to be underway yet. I'm sure it will happen over time. The question you'd have to ask yourself is whether you want to live in the vicinity of a nongentrified neighborhood for that price. I agree with some of the other posters that there are other areas around where you can find stellar homes in that price range and not have that factor in play, but it's all a personal choice!

Old 03-07-2007, 04:41 PM

110 posts, read 523,636 times
Cool; what Gigi, no pictures?
I know about River Place and Steiner Ranch which look great, but if we decided that Eanes is just too impressive to pass up, where in Westlake could we find high quality homes and lots similar to Bella Lago's, where the surrounding area may be more desirable? Nothing's jumping out at me in the usual real estate search engines. Senna Hills was the only other one we are seeing, and the lots there are quite a bit smaller than Bella Lago's.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:04 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,279,897 times
Orion, I sent you a PM because I know that people must be sick to death of me talking about my part of town on here.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:07 AM

361 posts, read 1,163,800 times
If you want a new home, Senna Hills is maybe your only option as far as a neighborhood goes. However, individual new homes are built in Eanes all the time, as well as some pockets of new homes as large homesteads are being developed. Also, if you didn't mind going out another 10 minutes and into the Lake Travis school district, there are many options in that area.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 9,357 times
These homes were some of the worst built I have ever witnessed. TB skimped on every single thing involved with them and I'm not surprised they aren't reselling.

Bought one of the largest homes in there and couldn't wait to get out. Our ex-home still sits vacant and after living in it I now know why.

The seedy homes directly next-door don't help resale either. I'd go with a home that's really in Westlake if you want the fantastic schools that the Eanes district has to offer.

Stay away from these homes as the shanty's next door aren't going anywhere soon.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:01 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
I'd go with a home that's really in Westlake if you want the fantastic schools that the Eanes district has to offer.
At your price range, I'd concur with the above statement. BL is a nice, pretty neighborhood to drive through, but it's not where I would spend my $700K to $900K if I was in that price range in Eanes. It's further out there than you may realize, and you're stuck with Bee Caves Rd. as your one and only engress and egress raod to and from destinations.

You can get something much closer in and/or a home that is surrounded by higher priced homes/neighborhoods instead of a lower priced.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin