U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2008, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX
6,813 posts, read 10,361,798 times
Reputation: 2901
I'd say most restaurants here at least have their beer/wine license, and many have full bars. The BYOB places I've been to are usually that way because they are in-between licenses, or are too close to a school or church. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I heard a screaming kid in a restaurant here, but I'm not typically going to the family places. Wine bars are pretty popular... some areas of downtown (warehouse district, west 6th, 2nd street) don't really have much in the way of family-friendly places. It's mostly adults, even though families live pretty much anywhere in Austin...

Part of it may just be economics. I mean why would you take kids to a more expensive or "atmosphere" restaurant, especially these days, when they really won't appreciate either? I think most families are taking advantage of the more family friendly places, chains with kids discounts, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2008, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Dripping Springs , TX
787 posts, read 1,696,298 times
Reputation: 205
My daughter is 15, so we are in the family type establishments more often than the atmosphere type places. But I agree, very few if no, screaming kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2008, 01:56 AM
 
101 posts, read 333,291 times
Reputation: 41
Back to the thread question, haha. Is there any places in Austin that aren't as strict about ID? I'd like to experience a night out at a club/bar in Austin. With that said, is there alot of crime around UT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 02:15 AM
 
101 posts, read 333,291 times
Reputation: 41
Also, I might as well ask here, how much are decent tix to Longhorn games. Seats that are pretty good (10-20 yard lines)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 08:09 AM
 
2,252 posts, read 3,230,517 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningbachk View Post
Back to the thread question, haha. Is there any places in Austin that aren't as strict about ID? I'd like to experience a night out at a club/bar in Austin. With that said, is there alot of crime around UT?
No, there is not a lot of crime around UT. As far as being strict about ID's, anywhere near the college is strict from what I've found. I'm in my early 30's and I get carded all the time just about everywhere near the college. The only times that I don't are when I'm eating at a restaurant and order alcohol with a meal. Otherwise, actual bars near campus or downtown always card at the door at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 08:48 AM
 
2,252 posts, read 3,230,517 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningbachk View Post
Also, I might as well ask here, how much are decent tix to Longhorn games. Seats that are pretty good (10-20 yard lines)
Take the following information as just my opinion from what I've seen in the past 3 years. I've been to 12 UT home games in the past 3 years. This greatly depends on the game. It's easy to find good student tickets for "cheap" to most games, but you have to show a UT student ID to use the tickets. These tickets either have a student name or "LASP" on the ticket itself. It's best that you don't buy those tickets as there is a good chance you won't get into the stadium. You can't just buy "good" UT tickets from the box office as they have already been sold as season tickets to alumni or donors every year.

It will be much easier and cheaper to get good seats to games against Louisiana-Monroe, Central Florida, or UTEP early in the season. You could probably get nice seats for about $100 - $125 each to those games if you look around early or wait until the last minute. Colorado, Texas Tech, or Kansas, will be the games that would be more difficult to get good seats for. Those would probably go between $200 - $400 each depending on UT's record at that time for "good" seats. You can always get end zone tickets to just about any of the games for at or just a bit above face value (normally between $60 - $90) from my experience. North End Zone seats are nice because you have full view of the scoreboard/big screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 03:41 PM
 
101 posts, read 333,291 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Take the following information as just my opinion from what I've seen in the past 3 years. I've been to 12 UT home games in the past 3 years. This greatly depends on the game. It's easy to find good student tickets for "cheap" to most games, but you have to show a UT student ID to use the tickets. These tickets either have a student name or "LASP" on the ticket itself. It's best that you don't buy those tickets as there is a good chance you won't get into the stadium. You can't just buy "good" UT tickets from the box office as they have already been sold as season tickets to alumni or donors every year.

It will be much easier and cheaper to get good seats to games against Louisiana-Monroe, Central Florida, or UTEP early in the season. You could probably get nice seats for about $100 - $125 each to those games if you look around early or wait until the last minute. Colorado, Texas Tech, or Kansas, will be the games that would be more difficult to get good seats for. Those would probably go between $200 - $400 each depending on UT's record at that time for "good" seats. You can always get end zone tickets to just about any of the games for at or just a bit above face value (normally between $60 - $90) from my experience. North End Zone seats are nice because you have full view of the scoreboard/big screen.
Hey thanks, for your response, but where can you get these tix? I've seen StubHub, but not sure how reliable the site is. Craigslist is obvious, but we'll be going down to Austin probably the night before the game, so it won't be that easy, since we don't know the area. I don't trust scalpers either.

Does the North Endzone give a good view of the field? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2008, 07:55 PM
 
2,252 posts, read 3,230,517 times
Reputation: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningbachk View Post
Hey thanks, for your response, but where can you get these tix? I've seen StubHub, but not sure how reliable the site is. Craigslist is obvious, but we'll be going down to Austin probably the night before the game, so it won't be that easy, since we don't know the area. I don't trust scalpers either.

Does the North Endzone give a good view of the field? Thanks
I think the North Endzone is fine. Like any endzone seat, you have the best view when the teams are on your side of the field. When they're on the other side, you'll find yourself looking at the huge scoreboard screen where all the plays are shown live as that will give you a better view.

StubHub isn't a bad option and like you said Craigslist or ebay can be sources as well. If you are going to one of the early season "lesser team" games, then you can probably order endzone or upper deck tickets directly from the "Texas Box Office" site at face value once single game tickets go on sale to the general public. The games against better teams will probably be sold out and you'll have to use one of the other methods above to get tickets. Of course, if UT loses any of those early season games, then you could get tickets to the good games for cheap.

TEXAS LONGHORNS Official Athletic Site

Texas Box Office :: There's A Lot Going On Here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2008, 12:55 AM
 
101 posts, read 333,291 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I think the North Endzone is fine. Like any endzone seat, you have the best view when the teams are on your side of the field. When they're on the other side, you'll find yourself looking at the huge scoreboard screen where all the plays are shown live as that will give you a better view.

StubHub isn't a bad option and like you said Craigslist or ebay can be sources as well. If you are going to one of the early season "lesser team" games, then you can probably order endzone or upper deck tickets directly from the "Texas Box Office" site at face value once single game tickets go on sale to the general public. The games against better teams will probably be sold out and you'll have to use one of the other methods above to get tickets. Of course, if UT loses any of those early season games, then you could get tickets to the good games for cheap.

TEXAS LONGHORNS Official Athletic Site

Texas Box Office :: There's A Lot Going On Here
The North Endzone appears to be a good idea, but I think I'll be at the 10-20 yd line seats. You can see the big screen either way, and this is probably gonna happen only once in my lifetime (being from Vancouver), so I'd rather have really good seats.

I think I'll go with StubHub. Ebay isn't something I'll risk on, since we're flying out there. And if we get screwed, well we're screwed. And Craigslist will be tough because we won't be able to meet anyone because we'll arrive the night before. And we don't know the area so people would have to come meet us.

It really depends, we're gonna look into it later on. But of the "lesser" teams, I think Central Florida would be the best bet.

Also, might as well ask now as well, which HS football team around UT is worth watching the night before on Friday? Of course we'll have to see if they have a home game the day we go, but I'd like to see what Texas HS football is all about. I hope it's as good as the movie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2008, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Dripping Springs , TX
787 posts, read 1,696,298 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningbachk View Post
T

Also, might as well ask now as well, which HS football team around UT is worth watching the night before on Friday? Of course we'll have to see if they have a home game the day we go, but I'd like to see what Texas HS football is all about. I hope it's as good as the movie
As a recent Canuck moved to Texas, you HAVE to see a high school football game. I went to my first the week after we moved down here and now I'm hooked. To get the best experience you do not necessarily want to attend a game with the best football team. You want the best combination of football team, band, cheerleaders, drill team and color guard. It is the whole combination that makes the experience amazing and half time is just as important as the game.

The better/richer schools tend to have better teams, bands etc. I am not familiar with high schools right around UT, the teams my daughter's team play in are mostly around the outside of Austin. I am sure you will get lots of suggestions of which high school games to check out. Get there early because the stands fill up fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top