Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 11:05 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Austin is one of the most boring and uncultured towns I've ever been too.

I guess I could suggest more democrats, less corruption, more culture, art galleries, less focus on UT, etc.
Clearly, you haven't been around much then, because I can think of lots and lots of more boring and more uncultured towns/cities where I've either lived or visited. Sorry you had a bad experience there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 11:23 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
I saw this topic on the Dallas Forum, and wanted to pose the same to Austinites. Is there something major this city is lacking, that you believe would improve the quality of life, either funded publicly or privately?
more californians?

Old 12-21-2008, 11:33 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Clearly, you haven't been around much then, because I can think of lots and lots of more boring and more uncultured towns/cities where I've either lived or visited. Sorry you had a bad experience there.
artsyguy has a firm grudge against Austin because, near as I can tell, Austin (a) incorporates the gay population into the rest of the population just like everyone else, rather than having a "gay ghetto" making it easy for him to find a date and (b) he couldn't find a date here or get any of the Austin gay population here to agree with him that they should all go off and live in some neighborhood by themselves so it would be easier to find a date. (Quick synopsis of discussion on other threads.) So, I'd guess that's what he thinks Austin is missing.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:41 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Austin is one of the most boring and uncultured towns I've ever been too.

I guess I could suggest more democrats, less corruption, more culture, art galleries, less focus on UT, etc.
Are the Democrats in TX honest? That's good because many Democrats in Chicago and IL are NOT.
I would not hold any party above another for corruption or lack of corruption. I think many of us hope for insightful, skilled political leaders who truly remember who they work for. Party affiliation has NOTHING to do with personal integrity. Sorry, you hit a real nerve when you connected more Demopcrats with less corruption.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:11 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
Cubssoxfan

Democrats are pretty scarce in Texas, period! Travis county is the blueberry in the cherry pie (along with the border counties and Dallas county (new) and hopefully soon, (I can dream can't I?) Harris county.

Power corrupts, in TX the established power base is Republican, in ILL the established power is Dem both places could use a little more political competition to keep the other party honest.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:28 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Cubssoxfan

Democrats are pretty scarce in Texas, period! Travis county is the blueberry in the cherry pie (along with the border counties and Dallas county (new) and hopefully soon, (I can dream can't I?) Harris county.
But wasn't the question what is lacking in Austin?
Add any more dems to the Austin area and then you get too great of a concentration and then you have what is going on in Ill for lack of political competition.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:10 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
You are right. What I meant was more democrats that are not corrupt but that are skilled and insightful political leaders as you have pointed out. I think that would make Austin a much better city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Are the Democrats in TX honest? That's good because many Democrats in Chicago and IL are NOT.
I would not hold any party above another for corruption or lack of corruption. I think many of us hope for insightful, skilled political leaders who truly remember who they work for. Party affiliation has NOTHING to do with personal integrity. Sorry, you hit a real nerve when you connected more Demopcrats with less corruption.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:33 PM

65 posts, read 155,910 times
Some thought. No more random strip malls.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:31 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
More activities for kids. Also, healthier restaurants. More stage productions. Local theater in Austin is blah! More sedans, less trucks and suvs. Yuck!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:50 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Did you not know that there would be lots of pickups in Texas when you moved here?

As for more activities for kids, what did you have in mind? I know that when mine were growing up, it seemed that a large portion of our time was spent on one or another activity for them - too much time, really, since I had to work at it to allow them time to be just kids and not have to be at this scheduled activity or that scheduled activity. What's missing in the way of activities for kids, do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin