Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:36 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,051,726 times

Advertisements

We're taking our first ever ski trip right after Christmas and don't own the appropriate snow attire. Family of 4, 2 adults, 2 teens, will be spending 7 days on the slopes.

I've found some checklists online that outline the list of clothing needed but I don't know
1) the best place in Austin to buy this stuff or
2) If quality matters. This may be our first and last trip, or we might like it a lot and reuse the clothing for years to come. But we'll most likely wear most of this stuff for only this week.

Is the stuff from Academy adequate or would you recommend spending more at REI or Sail and Ski?

Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 12:45 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
I've found the Academy stuff adequate. Having lived in a skiing state (Colorado), most of the natives buy stuff at academy. It's usually tourists buying the more expensive fancy smanshy stuff. All you need is a good pair of ski bibs or a ski suit that is lightweight, waterproof and comfortable. Underneath, wear a good gramici sweater or flannel shirt, long underwear, pair of jeans or sweats. Anymore clothing than that and you'll get really hot. Also a good pair of woolen waterproof socks. For shoes, before you get to the slopes and get ski boots on I'd recommend Hi-Tec waterproof shoes/boots. snow boots are fine too. I just preferred the Hi-Tecs because they aren't as bulky and you don't have to lug extra shoes around like you would if you have snow boots with you. Most of the people I worked with while I was in Denver were the ones who recommended them. Don't forget goggles or sun glasses too. The glare can be a pain A good hat with ear flaps or face mask is another thing to have. Oh...and chapstick or some type of really good lip balm. I'm not sure if you can find gramici at Academy here though, so REI would be a good place to look for that.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:03 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
Academy OR hit the Wal-Mart (or Academy) in the ski town where you are going! Better quality, better selection, and they will have everything.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:18 PM

673 posts, read 2,716,554 times
Not a lot of skiing opportunities near Austin. We don't spend a lot of $$ on ski apparel. Layering will keep you warm and keep your cost down. Long johns are a good purchase for the inner layer. The middle layer should be wool to wick moisture away from your body but trap the heat. The outer layer should be water proof. Scotch Guard spray will work for this. A ski cap that covers the ears is a must to keep the heat from escaping your head. Thinsulate gloves and socks are a must. The Walmart and Goodwill in the given ski town are great sources of ski clothes.

Our splurges over the years: bibs, waterproof ski shell/jacket, neoprene face mask for foul weather, well-ventilated ski goggles (can't ski if you can't see).

Bring a portable canteen, shades, sunscreen, Blistex, gorp, moleskin. Have fun.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:06 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,386 times
If you have not skied before, you may want to invest in helmets to protect the noggin. If you do, you want a balaclava or hood for you head instead of a toque or hat. They will not fit under a helmet.

Follow the advice to dress in layers. A good fleece jacket or vest will also come in handy for the odd cold days in Austin.

For long underwear, spend a bit more and try to get the performance tek stuff that will wick away the moisture. You will be working up quite a sweat if you are learning. Cotton long johns will just keep the moisture near you body and make you colder.

For the outer layer you need wind proof, water proof material that will also breathe. If you tend to sweat a lot this will be crucial. When I started learning to ski at an adult age my shell would be dripping wet on the inside because it was not breathing properly. When I invested in a better shell and wicking inner wear, it was much better.

The shell should be just that, a shell. Do not go for a big thick insulated ski jacket. If you do, you will only have one layer to adjust when the temperature changes. Shells are cheaper and can be insulated with fleece vests or sweaters.

Anticipate that the temperature, both real and perceived will change drastically. It will be cold in the morning when you first get out. It will be cold when standing around listening to the instructor, but if the sun is out, this can be quite pleasant if dressed properly. If you are on an open chair lift and the wind is blowing, it will cut through to the bone if dressed too light. When you are working on turns and other stuff, you will be exerting yourself and will be hot. Your clothing has to be able to be adjustable to you can open up and cool down when hot, and zip up and stay warm when standing still or sitting on the lift.

General stores like Walmart etc, will be fine for the fleece, sweaters etc. For the inner wear and helmets, you will have to hit a ski outfitter. This is probably better done at your destination. You may be able to find a suitable shell locally, or if not, look at your destination.

By the way, for pants you should look into shell wind pants just like the jacket. Again, these can be layered up with long johns (tek), and sweat pants. I would not recommend jeans. They can be too restrictive. They will also trap any sweat.

The wrong clothing will make your trip miserable. The right clothing can help make it enjoyable. While it may sound prudent to go cheap on the clothes for the first time, you put the enjoyment of the trip at risk. Pay attention to the inner wear and shell and you will be right.

Have fun.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:40 PM

324 posts, read 1,311,518 times
we rent from sail and ski. our kids were always growing and with the little winter in austin it just didn't make sense to buy. the ones for rent are generic (all jackets are maybe red this year, basic black bibbs/pants etc)....btw, bibbs are now very "uncool" if that is important to you. you can also rent at most resorts after you arrive. i have never done that cuz it was always cheaper to rent here but now with the baggage restrictions on airlines, it might be just as cheap to rent there. if it is cold, you gotta have all kind of scarfs/hats etc (and chapstick!!!!)

Old 12-21-2008, 06:32 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,051,726 times
Thanks for the tips.

We will be renting some stuff from Sail and Ski and buying some stuff at Academy. Sail and Ski told me we should budget more than $600 per person if we were going to outfit everyone from scratch, and they said we could rent the jackets/pants for a lot less and just buy the socks and accessories. I also checked at Academy and they have reasonably priced accessories, so we'll do the buying there and the renting at S&S.

Steve

Old 12-21-2008, 07:28 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,951 times
I'd do REI, why not be decked out. They have the best stuff.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:54 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,229,745 times
I'd agree with llkltk, check out REI. Find their best stuff in jackets and find out what the fill is. Also check their house brand. I say this because you do NOT want down, if they still make that stuff. But the lightweight jackets with Gore-Tex or polypropolene or some such stuff.

It's been years since I've been skiing and have been in both down and the poly. The poly is far more comfortable, warmer and cheaper. Looking up the word I found this site with some gear info.

Now, I say go to REI and check out their stuff so you know what it is and what you'd pay. Then go to ACADEMY and get what you want.

You don't really need a ski bib. A jacket and powder pants will do fine. I still have mine and put them on over my PJ's when I walk the dog on a cold early a.m. They're still warm.

Wool or poly hat
Jacket
Bib or powder pants
Insulateds - top/bottom
Faux turtle neck, or the real thing
Sweaters
Wool or poly socks
Gloves
Sunglasses - good ones

Bear in mind the socks will probly be wet at the end of the day. The boots will probly be wet when you get them. Try not to get the low end rental stuff. A few bucks more and the equipment responds in quality.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:39 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,123,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
We're taking our first ever ski trip right after Christmas and don't own the appropriate snow attire. Family of 4, 2 adults, 2 teens, will be spending 7 days on the slopes.

I've found some checklists online that outline the list of clothing needed but I don't know
1) the best place in Austin to buy this stuff or
2) If quality matters. This may be our first and last trip, or we might like it a lot and reuse the clothing for years to come. But we'll most likely wear most of this stuff for only this week.

Is the stuff from Academy adequate or would you recommend spending more at REI or Sail and Ski?

Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks

Steve
Im no expert but I agree with the comments above about using a goretex shell top and bottom instead of thick ski pants and a down jacket. The shell would be very usable in austin and the layering will let you pick how warm you need to be.

I wear flannel pajama bottoms under a shell which works very well. I use my goretex shell for camping, hiking, canoeing and general rain protection. Wool socks are good general purpose items for any kind of hiking (I use smart wools).

The only thing you will need to buy that you cant reuse in normal austin weather are goggles and real winter gloves. You could rent or buy goggles - I prefer to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: