U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:04 PM

14 posts, read 219,380 times

Advertisements

Wahh! You guys are making me really miss the old Austin...

Being able to ride up and down MLK (back when it was still just 19th) on my bike with no traffic in sight...

Chowing down on those grease-filled sopapillas and chile rellenos from Pacho's-Mexican-Buffet-All-You-Can-Eat-For-$3.99 (we always seemed to called it that and not just Pancho's for some reason )....

Hanging out in the toy department at Sage's...or Gulf Mart...or Newberry's...or GC Murphy's... while my mom shopped for HOURS in every other department...

Oh, and her shopping at this little funky store called Pier One, which was a hole in the wall right past the Americana Theater on Hancock....

I miss eating the cheese soup from Jim's restaurant on the corner of Ben White and I35.

I still remember standing in a LOOOONG line at the Capital Plaza Theater to see the first Star Wars! And remember when the Aquarius Theater, right off Riverside, was the state of the art in movie viewing?

Last edited by springboard; 03-20-2009 at 04:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 7,378 times
How about grabbing a bottle of wine and driving ALL the way to Round Rock to eat Trout Dr. Livingston at the Inn at Brushy Creek? Or buying health food at Saferway at, I think, 8th and Rio Grande.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:28 AM

14 posts, read 219,380 times
Or how about when Round Rock was some little podunk town that no one in Austin had ever heard of?

Old 03-21-2009, 08:34 AM

10 posts, read 40,281 times
I miss the original Dot's Place restaurant behind the discount cinema in Wells Branch.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:38 AM

7,159 posts, read 15,918,665 times
I miss the airplanes flying 10 feet over I-35 on final approach to Mueller Airport. If it happened while I was driving, I'd kinda slow down to try to be right under the plane while it passed over for "maximum effect". I thought it was so cool!

Old 03-29-2009, 12:17 AM

7 posts, read 18,458 times
Wow this is a cool thread!! I grew up in Austin, I think at the perfect time, the 80's!! So many things I remember as a we child!!

I grew up in the Hyde Park area, so I remember Hancock and Highland Mall vividly!!! I went to Robert E Lee elementary, and miss the grand ole stairs that used to comprise the original front!! I understand wheelchair accessible, but the school looks hideous now, ugh what did they do to my alma mater!!

Let's see, as far as eats go, I remember the Burger Chef that used to be across from Hancock!! That place was awesome!!! I remember the Mr Gatti's in Highland Mall, have loved that pizza since I was a wee one!! I remember the counter at the old Woolworth's store in downtown Austin. Also remember Picadilly's in downtown, that had that cool spiral staircase to the area upstairs!! Of course who could forget Wyatt's Cafeteria, while it may not have been real chicken fried steak, it was the best I ever ate!!! I miss it so!! Oh yeah, what was the name of the store that was next to HEB in Hancock, the one with the lunch counter and toy section downstairs, the one that became Bealls!

Speaking of Toy Stores, I remember all the glorious toy depts in every dept store my mom shopped at!!! Ahh the glory days for action figures, yes I was a tom boy!!! Still am I guess!! Ha ha ha. Woolworths, Joskes, Sears, Montgomery Wards, Dillards, when it was still in Hancock and of course before KB, there was the Toy Box!!

For entertainment I remember the Fox Theater on Airport where I saw Ghostbusters, the theater behind Capital Plaza where I saw Popeye, the theater at Highland Mall where I saw Return of the Jedi (opening day I might ad), the theater on Burnet Road, (where I saw a re-release of ROJ ha ha)!

Most important of all, I remember the good ole days, the days where Austin was truly unique and had a cool vibe to it!! Now, it's just full of yuppy scum and if I may take a page from Ghostbusters 2, their yuppy larva! Seeing all the development all around Austin makes me sick!! I remember taking day trips to all the little towns around Austin, such as Lampassas and Lockhart, and seeing so much green, now it's nothing but ugly strip malls!! It's hideous, concrete jungle at its worst! And don't get me started on the housing, just on the street I grew up on, 46th, there are several McMansions, monstrosities I call em!! Long gone is the beautiful and green Austin!!

Don't worry about keepin Austin Weird, it's long gone!!

Oh and yes, before I left Hyde Park because of the skyrocketting taxes, I too missed the airplanes going over. They used to welcome me in the morning as I woke up. We were right under the flight path!!

Old 03-29-2009, 11:35 PM

8,240 posts, read 14,941,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
Seeing all the development all around Austin makes me sick!! I remember taking day trips to all the little towns around Austin, such as Lampassas and Lockhart, and seeing so much green, now it's nothing but ugly strip malls!! It's hideous, concrete jungle at its worst! And don't get me started on the housing, just on the street I grew up on, 46th, there are several McMansions, monstrosities I call em!! Long gone is the beautiful and green Austin!!
Me, too.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:35 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,824,768 times
"I still remember standing in a LOOOONG line at the Capital Plaza Theater to see the first Star Wars!"

I was there on openning night.

What I really miss the most: looking at the Austin city limits sign when it said, "Population 255,000".

Old 05-20-2009, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 21,578 times
Default Holiday House

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Originally Posted by Cha Ching
I remember all three of those! Every Holiday House had some interesting thing about it...big tropical fish or something. The one on Airport had some sort of thing in a pen out front...a big lizard or something? It's been awhile! I liked their hickory burger too, but I got the abbreviated youngster version.

The one on Airport had fish, IIRC. The one on Barton Springs Road, however, had an alligator and you could sit at the tables right by the window and watch him while you ate.

The one on Burnet Road had a donkey, which my little brother bought for $150 while I was away at college.
Anyone remember 2Js on N. Lamar or Frostop on Burnet.....or even way back the Dairy Creme at Burnet & North Loop?

Old 05-20-2009, 01:30 PM

142 posts, read 437,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Liberty Lunch. One of the best indie venues ever. Saw Fugazi there for $5 in '93.
Liberty Lunch was going to be my "Gone but not forgotten" contribution to this post. I saw Fugazi several times and many others there between about 1991 and whenever it closed. Other places that I can't forget:
Sound Exchange and Tower Records on Guadalupe
Europa Books (on Guadalupe?)
Captain Quackenbush
Wasn't there a Magic Time Machine restaurant in Austin?
I remember seeing the Bombay Bicycle Club from the highway when we would make the trip into Austin from about an hour away. That was sort of my entry marker that let me know I was officially in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or