U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:33 PM

443 posts, read 741,924 times

Advertisements

Yeah, there was a Magic Time Machine off of Riverside Dr. between I35 and Congress. Then, it was closed for a long time before re-opening as Landry's and later Joe's Crab Shack.

Remember the "Side Saddle" Bar off of Ben White? People used to get shot/stabbed there.

I remember seeing Star Wars at the drive in theater off of Ben White and 35. Then seeing Empire Strikes Back at the Americana. That was a cool theater because you could actually climb the rock walls outside. The FOX theater too.

Hancock Shopping Center, Capitol Plaza, Northcross Mall and its theater, HM, Gibsons (where I bought my first KISS Album).

Everything on the Drag because you could get into fights with punx and skaters.

I remember the bicycle shop on Anderson lane where we appropriated a bicycle off the roof top display in the 80's. We probably took your kids bikes too.

Swimming at all the public pools in the summertime from Ramsey to Stacey. Then swimming in various apartment pools throughout Austin at night until we got run off by security. And, of course, cliff jumping at Pale Face Park or renting canoes at Zilker paddling to the Lamar Bridge and jumping off the arches underneath.

Lots of Fun growing up in Austin.

The Back Room, Liberty Lunch, and the Ritz were all cool places to hang out and see a good show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 02:36 PM

993 posts, read 1,556,401 times
Just to answer the question from the OP, the restaurant on the first floor of Highland Mall next to Penny's was the Red Lion - you'd sit yourself, read the menu, and then call in your order from a phone at your table.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:11 AM

32 posts, read 30,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cha Ching View Post
Hi All--

I saw a thread like this in the San Antonio forum, and thought it was neat! I grew up in Austin from 1971 to 1982, when we moved to SA for 3 years. Then we moved back. I was back in Austin from 85 to 93, and then I left for metroplex digs.

What are some great things about Austin that we all remember? I'll start (it's a long one!)--

* Our favorite restaurant for a long time was the Lock, Stock, and Barrel that was in the Village on Anderson Lane a bit west and across the street from Northcross Mall. About 77 or so, I guess?

* I can remember just starting high school, and my brother let me practice my driving up Burnet all the way to the outlet mall. There was NOTHING on that road...kind of scary because it was so dark. About 1980, I guess.

* I used to go to St. Louis Catholic School, and the boy I had a crush on, Joe Stanish's family used to own the Top Notch (which made a cameo in "Dazed and Confused"). Anybody know if they still own it?

There was a Winn's and a Public library right around the corner from the school where I could go after school if I wanted sweets and a book.

* There used to be a big Handy Dan hardware store at Research and Peyton Gin. Before Home Depot existed, that was the place to go for all our home repair needs!

* The big Sound Warehouse store at 49th and Burnet across from the Omelettry was one of my first real jobs in college. Then I left that one and helped open the one that eventually opened at Lamar and Rundberg. I can still remember going into the 49th Street store with my mom when I was little. It used to be Davis Hardware. Did anybody else know that Whitman bought his ammunition for his shooting spree there? Gives me chills now when I think of it.

* Does anyone else remember Los Tres Bobos in 26 Doors across from Seton? We adored that place. My dad was in Seton before he died (1980), and we ended up there quite a bit.

* Mike and Charlie's behind Seton. What a neat little place (bar/restaurant). My mom and I used to meet there after work and plan for the trip to Italy we took in 1991. It was there for quite awhile, then the hotel expanded their parking or something and it went byebye.

* Remember Yaring's? I used to be able to find most of what I needed there. I remember they had a location in Highland Mall AND one on Burnet just south of Peyton Gin. Was there one in Southpark Mall too?

* Toy Box in Highland Mall! I used to go up to JCPenney's with my mom Friday night when she got her hair done. I'd go to Toy Box and get a Nancy Drew book, or go to the Walden's downstairs and get a paperback, then go to the record store and get an album, then to Hickory Farms for some grape licorice whips, and that was my $10 allowance.

* Does anyone else remember the burger place on the bottom floor of Highland Mall near Penney's in the mid 70s? It had little dark red phones at the tables and you called your order up to the desk and they brought it to your table. The original name had something with "King" in it, I think? Then it became "The Lion's Share."

* Cruising Northcross! About 1981, that was what all the teens did. Go inside, maybe catch a flick, hang at the arcade for awhile, then cruise around and around the building, finding someone you thought was cute, then pulling off into one of the surrounding lots. Until the night that someone was murdered behind the Krispy Kreme up near Burnet (which later became a car dealer, I believe...the place with the funky angled roof piece). It just so happened that my friend and I were driving a car much like the one that had been seen driving away from the crime scene, so we were hassled a lot by the cops that night. After that night, the cops would chase you away if you tried cruising. That was it for the cruising.

* The Back Room-- Caught so many shows there! One night ended up playing pool with the Norwegian band The Stage Dolls, and they taught me useful Norwegian phrases for picking up Scandinavian cuties.

Now you! I'll think of more later!
Wow....The Stage Dolls!! "Love Cries" was a Great song.....

Old 05-21-2009, 08:12 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,925,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Just to answer the question from the OP, the restaurant on the first floor of Highland Mall next to Penny's was the Red Lion - you'd sit yourself, read the menu, and then call in your order from a phone at your table.
I remember it as the Brittany (sp?). My husband worked there when it first opened.
I wish Sid's restaurant was still around. Wedge of iceberg lettuce with Thousand Island dressing and some fried shrimp...

Old 05-21-2009, 11:17 AM

14,401 posts, read 20,713,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
That theater on Hancock is now a library!

I've only been here 18 years but I have seen lots of things change. My most painful loss was when Les Amis coffee shop and restaurant right by UT campus closed.
Please go inside and visit it some time, we had a lot of fun converting that old Americana Theater into the Ralph W. Yarborough Branch Library. It has a very theatrical and whimsical interior.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:47 AM

16,390 posts, read 22,627,024 times
Does anyone remember what 2J's was before it was 2J's? It's driving me nuts, tickling around just at the edge of my brain.

And Les Amis was a serious, serious loss.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:03 PM

28,236 posts, read 10,946,871 times
The Armadillo. Holiday House with Charlie the Alligator, Bowl-a-Rama, Skate Palace,

Old 05-21-2009, 11:18 PM

Drag races on FM 1325 just past IBM, and the night everyone got arrested for watching.
Going parking at Chapel Hill when there was a church there.
On Halloween, the ritual of going through a dilapidated house where they filmed Texas Chainsaw Massacre and driving by the "hanging tree".
Cruising up and down Burnet Road, paying a cover charge to park at Holiday House, or having to be 21 to enter Mr. Gatti's on 183, across from the Target near Ohlen Road.
Going to the Burnet Drive in, now the storage place on Burnet Road, and going to the Chief Drive in at North Lamar and Koenig Lane to watch movies like the Godfather, and High Plains Drifter.
Buying shoes and clothes at Snyder's Chenard's in Hancock Center or on Burnet Road in Allandale Village.
Having enchiladas at a dive called La Luna, once located where Jack in the Box at Burnet and Anderson Lane is now.
Going to A&P grocery in North Village, where Gage furniture is now, and the aroma of coffee from the grinders at the checkouts.
Kroger's on Burnet Road where Ross Dress for Less is now.
Shakey's Pizza at Burnet and Teakwood.
Alfie's fish and chips on Burnet Road and Anderson Lane, where the battery store is now.
A&W Root Beer where the Omlettry is now.
The Classic Cat, a topless bar (never went there, just remember it) where the yoga, life coaching, etc. place is now on Burnet Road near the Omlettry.
Burger Chef on Burnet Road where the Roger Beazley dealership is, or used to be.
Handy Andy grocery stores.
Joske's
Austin Aquafestival
Battle of the Bands in the old Palmer Auditorium
Flapjack Canyon on South Lamar
Skyline Club
Coxville Zoo "oo"/grocery and filling station
Soap Creek Saloon
Dodge City Steak House
Christi's seafood restaurant on Town Lake
Shopping at Craig's on Exposition Blvd. for prom dresses, etc.
Shopping and having lunch at Scarbroughs downtown
Shopping at Yaring's or Beall's, North Loop
Red's grocery on FM 1325

Last edited by capcat; 05-21-2009 at 11:45 PM..

Old 05-22-2009, 08:24 AM

29 posts, read 62,638 times
Aquafest was a festival for all ages. As a kid I remember riding my big wheel in a race. I also remember that old Academy on IH35 when it actually had old army surplus stuff. Now there is an Academy on every corner it seems. I also miss the old drive-ins and watching movies in the bed of my dads truck. Love this thread but we need pictures.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTXJim View Post
I also remember that old Academy on IH35 when it actually had old army surplus stuff.
I do, too. I don't think it even had air conditioning. There was also one like it at what is now East Anderson Lane and 183 near Hobby Lobby, I believe.
Aquafest was great until they added big name entertainers and it became too crowded and expensive. We went every year and worked as volunteers, selling beer. Great times.
Also forgot to mention Showtown Twin Drive-in theaters.
This link provides some info on the history of North Lamar Blvd. http://members.tripod.com/fryr/cfhistnlamar.html Not too detailed, but some links take you to sites of interest. Would be interesting to see some of the remnants of Coxville Zoo, if any still exist. Click on the link for old photos and newspaper articles. I worked with Doris Cox, the wife of the owner. She said it started when a man brought a monkey into the service station one day. I believe he was in the service, but I can't recall exactly. Anyway, if you're old enough to remember or young enough to have never known about it, this might be of interest.

Other things...
Luby's on North Loop
The Chuckwagon, on Burnet Road near Arby's, where the Antique Marketplace used to be
Uncle Jay and Packer Jack
Willie Kocurek (you don't need money, just a little bit a month)
Oscar Snowden (if you didn't buy it from the Big O, you paid too much)
Gordon Smith

New things to miss...Nelson Puett real estate in the same building forever on Burnet Road.
John Crank Auto Sales on the same site forever on Burnet Road
Vaught's nursery on Koenig Lane

Last edited by capcat; 05-22-2009 at 03:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin