U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:26 PM

28,749 posts, read 11,264,355 times

Advertisements

How could I forget the Aqua Festival!!!

Man, those were some good times!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 01:00 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,583,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How could I forget the Aqua Festival!!!

Man, those were some good times!!
Czech night! Always hot, always rained.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 13,318 times
I remember the Omlettry (sp?) as a Frostop. We used to eat lunch there from Macallum High School in the mid 60's. The A&W rootbeer stand was further north on Burnet (between Northland and Shoalmont) road up just before the old North Austin State Bank building which was back behind Don Hill's Exxon station.
B&R BBQ was near that location on the west side of Burnet and Kirschner's fried chicken was on the east side along there. Even a bit further back, there was the Toddle House also on the west side about the 5400 or 5500 block.
There was also Mom & Pop's Cafe further north and on the west side of Burnet, just north from the entrance to the County Warehouse. A real hole in the wall, but they used to have really good greasy burgers.
We used to eat at Mosley's Allendale Cafeteria on Sundays and Alan Mosley was a year ahead of me at Macallum.
All the Nighthawks were great. There was a steak place on what is now the northbound frontage road of Mopac just before 183 called the Barn. Pretty good steaks. The building is still there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Drag races on FM 1325 just past IBM, and the night everyone got arrested for watching.
Going parking at Chapel Hill when there was a church there.
On Halloween, the ritual of going through a dilapidated house where they filmed Texas Chainsaw Massacre and driving by the "hanging tree".
Cruising up and down Burnet Road, paying a cover charge to park at Holiday House, or having to be 21 to enter Mr. Gatti's on 183, across from the Target near Ohlen Road.
Going to the Burnet Drive in, now the storage place on Burnet Road, and going to the Chief Drive in at North Lamar and Koenig Lane to watch movies like the Godfather, and High Plains Drifter.
Buying shoes and clothes at Snyder's Chenard's in Hancock Center or on Burnet Road in Allandale Village.
Having enchiladas at a dive called La Luna, once located where Jack in the Box at Burnet and Anderson Lane is now.
Going to A&P grocery in North Village, where Gage furniture is now, and the aroma of coffee from the grinders at the checkouts.
Kroger's on Burnet Road where Ross Dress for Less is now.
Shakey's Pizza at Burnet and Teakwood.
Alfie's fish and chips on Burnet Road and Anderson Lane, where the battery store is now.
A&W Root Beer where the Omlettry is now.
The Classic Cat, a topless bar (never went there, just remember it) where the yoga, life coaching, etc. place is now on Burnet Road near the Omlettry.
Burger Chef on Burnet Road where the Roger Beazley dealership is, or used to be.
Handy Andy grocery stores.
Joske's
Austin Aquafestival
Battle of the Bands in the old Palmer Auditorium
Flapjack Canyon on South Lamar
Skyline Club
Coxville Zoo "oo"/grocery and filling station
Soap Creek Saloon
Dodge City Steak House
Christi's seafood restaurant on Town Lake
Shopping at Craig's on Exposition Blvd. for prom dresses, etc.
Shopping and having lunch at Scarbroughs downtown
Shopping at Yaring's or Beall's, North Loop
Red's grocery on FM 1325

Old 05-26-2009, 01:26 PM

14 posts, read 142,267 times
Quote:
I do, too. I don't think it even had air conditioning. There was also one like it at what is now East Anderson Lane and 183 near Hobby Lobby, I believe.
Aquafest was great until they added big name entertainers and it became too crowded and expensive. We went every year and worked as volunteers, selling beer. Great times.
Also forgot to mention Showtown Twin Drive-in theaters.
This link provides some info on the history of North Lamar Blvd. A History of North Lamar Blvd. Not too detailed, but some links take you to sites of interest. Would be interesting to see some of the remnants of Coxville Zoo, if any still exist. Click on the link for old photos and newspaper articles. I worked with Doris Cox, the wife of the owner. She said it started when a man brought a monkey into the service station one day. I believe he was in the service, but I can't recall exactly. Anyway, if you're old enough to remember or young enough to have never known about it, this might be of interest.

Other things...
Luby's on North Loop
The Chuckwagon, on Burnet Road near Arby's, where the Antique Marketplace used to be
Uncle Jay and Packer Jack
Willie Kocurek (you don't need money, just a little bit a month)
Oscar Snowden (if you didn't buy it from the Big O, you paid too much)
Gordon Smith

New things to miss...Nelson Puett real estate in the same building forever on Burnet Road.
John Crank Auto Sales on the same site forever on Burnet Road
Vaught's nursery on Koenig Lane
That page brought back another memory...The Pirate's Den on North Lamar. My mom and I used to spend HOURS digging around in that place (and probably should have gotten tetanus shots after our scavenges there).

Old 05-26-2009, 04:39 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,583,160 times
The Barn in 1968, great bread and cheese soup. What people now could not understand at all is what pre-MOPAC was like, different world...

Old 05-26-2009, 06:48 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,954,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
The Barn in 1968, great bread and cheese soup. What people now could not understand at all is what pre-MOPAC was like, different world...
I know...I have a hard time remembering it sometimes. I found a website with photos of the construction and pre-construction of Mopac, and even that didn't quite capture it. What I'm somewhat fascinated with are the neighborhoods/homes that were taken with the construction of it. It looks like neighborhoods were suddenly split apart. I didn't pay enough attention to it then.
The Barn was a fun place to go. Like Old San Francisco Steakhouse, but not so huge.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:01 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,954,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac65 View Post
I remember the Omlettry (sp?) as a Frostop. We used to eat lunch there from Macallum High School in the mid 60's. The A&W rootbeer stand was further north on Burnet (between Northland and Shoalmont) road up just before the old North Austin State Bank building which was back behind Don Hill's Exxon station.
B&R BBQ was near that location on the west side of Burnet and Kirschner's fried chicken was on the east side along there. Even a bit further back, there was the Toddle House also on the west side about the 5400 or 5500 block.
There was also Mom & Pop's Cafe further north and on the west side of Burnet, just north from the entrance to the County Warehouse. A real hole in the wall, but they used to have really good greasy burgers.
We used to eat at Mosley's Allendale Cafeteria on Sundays and Alan Mosley was a year ahead of me at Macallum.
All the Nighthawks were great. There was a steak place on what is now the northbound frontage road of Mopac just before 183 called the Barn. Pretty good steaks. The building is still there.
I could be wrong about the A&W Root Beer location, but I still believe it was there. Maybe a little later? I'll have to ask Ken. I think he's owned or partially owned the Omlettry since the beginning. I know there was one at the end of Peyton Gin (the way it used to be spelled) and N. Lamar. I don't recall an A&W near the North Austin State Bank. Was it on the same side of the road?
If anyone locates a website with the history of Burnet Road, I would really like to see it. I haven't had any luck with that search.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:57 AM

142 posts, read 321,423 times
Quote:
...This link provides some info on the history of North Lamar Blvd. A History of North Lamar Blvd. Not too detailed, but some links take you to sites of interest...

Great link! The website itself is so "old style" (in internet time) that its like an historical document itself.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 AM

910 posts, read 1,865,404 times
As a 90s person, I miss these places.

Northcross Mall-used to go there to play basketball at Oshman's, ate a slice a pizza at I think Fazolis , chase girls, and then watch a movie.
Sea Island on Mo Pac and Parmer.
Liberty Lunch-Saw Common Sense there(now just Common)
Golden Fried Chicken before it changed into Golden Chick, it was a LOT better back then.
Grandys-I think Dallas still has them now.
Highland Mall was the best mall in terms of shopping, not Barton Creek.
The old Movies 12 in Pflugerville.
The old discount cinema and LeFun in Wells Branch.
Bob Populars on 6th street-$1 EVERYTHING Thursday nights, great memories(that I actually remember).
VooDoo Lounge in the alley btwn 5th and 6th...now burned down.
I remember when Parmer lane was a 2 lane country highway and in 92, they turned it into a huge 6 lane highway.
This place on N. Lamar that had the best Ruben in Texas, the owners where from the East, I forgot the name. It was next to Clicks.
Celebration Station on Ben White and 35, very fun..the interchange construction doomed it and it is now razed for hotels.
Lucky Dog on Mesa and Spicewood Springs.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:43 AM

4 posts, read 13,318 times
Yes, the A&W was on the same side of the road as the Allandale shopping center. I will look this weekend and give you the address and what is there now.
Allandale shopping center had:
1. Morton's mensware shop, owned by Morton Plotsky, father of Sheila and Nancy( Macallum '65).
2. Shefftal's Jewelry, daughter Kim (Macallum '65).
3. Mosley's Cafeteria, son Alan (Macallum '64).
4. Pharmacy, owned by Les Lind, daughter Lessandra (Macallum '65) and Marvin Moon.
5. Winn's Variety store, run by the Cokendolphers, sons Daryl & Rodney (Macallum '65).
6. HEB, although much smaller than today's store.
7. S&H Green stamp redemption store.
8. White's Automotive & Appliance store.
9. Seems like there was a Gem Fabrics store there too.
10. Hill's Exxon, son Don (Macallum '65).

The shopping center on the other side of Burnet Road between Romeria and Koenig had more stores, but harder to remember:
1. Big Bear Grocery store at the Romeria end.
2. Skillern Drugstore in the middle.
3. Caravel Shoes, where we all got our Buster Browns.
4. There was a hobby shop just south of the Skillerns where we got model cars, planes, coin collecting books, etc.

Western Auto was across Romeria north of Big Bear.

Some of these are way back, but I would be willing to help with a history of Burnet Road if some other's want to contribute.

Quote:
I could be wrong about the A&W Root Beer location, but I still believe it was there. Maybe a little later? I'll have to ask Ken. I think he's owned or partially owned the Omlettry since the beginning. I know there was one at the end of Peyton Gin (the way it used to be spelled) and N. Lamar. I don't recall an A&W near the North Austin State Bank. Was it on the same side of the road?
If anyone locates a website with the history of Burnet Road, I would really like to see it. I haven't had any luck with that search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin