Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 04:41 PM

7 posts, read 19,398 times

Advertisements

I'm not trying to offend here, but I'm having trouble understanding the goal of your question.

I'll be the first to admit that Austin has a problem with the physically divided, racial make up majority of neighborhoods. Hispanic people southeast, black people east, white people west and asian northwest. A classic urban problem propagated by a symptomatic highway divide. Everything else is a wash.

BUT, I tend to believe that that divide has nothing to do with the mentality of all people living in all neighborhoods of Austin. Everyone gets around and I never "avoid" parts of town. You only have to spend one day out and about to see for yourself. I've lived in practically every major part of town and never had problems being me. Of course it's not NYC or Atlanta, but you're talking about a small town here.

The more important question you should be asking is, is Austin a healthy environment of concerned, welcoming citizens who care about their neighbors and neighborhoods? Is there low crime? Are there good schools? I think the answer is yes, and if you live within the city limits, I guarantee your family will be a welcome addition to any neighborhood.

But basing your move on the shake out of racial demographics (which I think is your question) sounds like a bad idea and is utterly confusing.

I'm just saying, fear breeds fear, hate breeds hate. And, because you've made it abundantly clear you discredit a certain point of view, no, I'm not white.

Which shouldn't matter at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 06:20 PM

74 posts, read 177,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Uh... People with multi-cultural families care, That's who.

People that constantly chime in with " We've moved past the old days... really. " Have to be white and living in a fantasy world.
You are spot on. We live in SW Austin. One of our children is Asian, the rest are white. We live in an area where Asian families DO live, but it is predominantly white.

My kindergartener is asked by her peers on a weekly, if not daily basis, WHERE she is from and WHY are her eyes so small.

When you're in a transracial family, it matters very much if you live in a multi-cultural area.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:16 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Kindergarteners ask all sorts of questions, even in a racially unmixed area. They're trying to figure the world out. I wouldn't base a judgment of an entire area or entire city on the questions that kindergarteners ask.

When teenagers or adults start asking such questions, then you've got an issue.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:28 AM

509 posts, read 1,544,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Kindergarteners ask all sorts of questions, even in a racially unmixed area. They're trying to figure the world out. I wouldn't base a judgment of an entire area or entire city on the questions that kindergarteners ask.

When teenagers or adults start asking such questions, then you've got an issue.
I couldn't agree more! We get many questions from our 5 y.o. in Pre-K about why friends look different from her. IMHO, it's best to answer these questions when a child is young because these children are seen as her friends first and any physical differences are secondary to her. If your child can establish diverse friendships while young, they are far less likely to be prejudiced later.

Austin is a wonderful small city that has very different areas (hills, lakes, urban, rural). I'm sure that there are wonderfully accepting (and not so accepting) people in all of those areas. Your best bet would be to take a few trips to see what fits your family best. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin