Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

Reciprocation. Duh. Who wants a friend that is always starting disagreements and arguments. I don't need to be annoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
So, what you want is a "yes man" friend who is at your beck and call to the extent that they're the one who does all the calling up? What does that friend get out of the deal?

Old 01-05-2009, 09:14 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
There's a difference between arguments and conversation, you know. If both parties always agree on everything, first, it gets stagnant, and, second, somebody's not telling the truth.

How do you know that what you believe will stand up to examination if you never give it the chance to be tested and you never have to think about it hard enough to be able to defend it?

Old 01-05-2009, 09:22 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,011,331 times
Honestly, the title of this thread just makes me want to throw up. Typical Austonians if you ask me. I have lied there twice, and while I actually do like the city in ways, and some of the people there are pretty cool the ones who are so into themselves, and who politic the "magazines & websites" on how great they are is disgusting.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_AGGIE13 View Post
Honestly, the title of this thread just makes me want to throw up. Typical Austonians if you ask me. I have lied there twice, and while I actually do like the city in ways, and some of the people there are pretty cool the ones who are so into themselves, and who politic the "magazines & websites" on how great they are is disgusting.
It's Austinites. The Austonian is a building.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:08 PM

1,227 posts, read 3,011,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
It's Austinites. The Austonian is a building.
Thanks...I never claimed to be that smart. Btw...not a building yet.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Is this thread for real?

Sweet Christ, I've never seen so many dull, poorly written posts in the two-years I've been on this forum. With the exception of a few regulars on here, there's barely been a coherent response. Some serious junk happening here.

Back away from the liquor cabinet.

So, you don't like Austin? Who gives a rat's *ss. Don't live there. But if your gonna bash a place, include some useful analysis into your response. If you can't do that, point your mouse cursor to the little "X" in the upper right-hand corner of your screen, press and have a nice life

Old 01-05-2009, 11:43 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
There's a difference between arguments and conversation, you know. If both parties always agree on everything, first, it gets stagnant, and, second, somebody's not telling the truth.

How do you know that what you believe will stand up to examination if you never give it the chance to be tested and you never have to think about it hard enough to be able to defend it?
Exactly, the Hegelian Dialectic at work! But nowadays they don't teach stuff like that in college, it's all about consensus and self esteem. It's the dumbing down of America.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:52 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I loved Austin for college. Could be the best 5 years of my life. It was just so ideal in so many ways.

Wouldn't live there now, though. The traffic, constant road construction, lack of parking, incessant over-crowding of anything and everything cool to do or go to, beggars at traffic lights...

I think that, like many cities, Austin is a wonderful place that has a lot to offer people, depending on what they want and at which point of their lives they want it.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:59 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
What was so great about college? Seriously......

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I loved Austin for college. Could be the best 5 years of my life. It was just so ideal in so many ways.

Wouldn't live there now, though. The traffic, constant road construction, lack of parking, incessant over-crowding of anything and everything cool to do or go to, beggars at traffic lights...

I think that, like many cities, Austin is a wonderful place that has a lot to offer people, depending on what they want and at which point of their lives they want it.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:56 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What was so great about college? Seriously......
I know you didn't like college at UT, artsy, but I had a blast. And I didn't drink and party.

I took every class I wanted to, got involved in tons of sports and activities, made lots and lots of friends, did scientific research, spent summers in programs that took us to France, Russia, Mexico. Got involved in local and statewide politics. We spent tons of time exploring Austin, the wildlife, Barton Springs, Hamilton Pool, Enchanted Rock, Wimberley, Fredricksberg. Don't forget the football games! Concerts at Bass and at the arena. I loved to bowl for 50 cents at the Union Underground! Shot a lot of pool, too!

We biked, swam, hiked, I rowed on Town Lake (crew)...it was just a neat place if you have that mindset and enough time to appreciate it (and you live right in the middle of it, so traffic/parking/etc is usually irrelevant). The profs were awesome, they were approachable and personable, they went out of their way to help me (as did the administration). I can't say enough good thing about my experience at UT.

Now that I'm a working adult and I would have to live elsewhere in Austin and deal with the city itself...thanks, but no thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin