Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2007, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 9,962 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I am currently a student at a community college in Pennsylvania. I will graduate this coming summer. I plan to transfer to Texas State University-San marcos. Is it a good school? Is San Marcos far from Austin. Is it hard to find an apartment in austin?
Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2007, 01:54 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
TSU has been working very dilligently to become a 'Tier I' school. I don't really know what all is involved, but they would like to be considered on the same level as Univ. of Texas and Texas A&M. Anyway, they are well know in certain areas, the one I am somewhat familiar with is RTF. There are other programs that are very good, but I am not that up to date. Other programs are probably still a little behind the 'flagship' universities.

San Marcos is not really that far from Austin, but I would live there instead of Austin if I was going to school there. The town has some really pretty areas, although it is definitely still a college town. As for finding apartments, I suspect it is harder to find a quality apt in San Marcos than Austin. Austin is relatively easy, it just depends on how much you want to pay...

Old 03-18-2007, 11:16 PM

10 posts, read 37,794 times
TxState, as opposed to TSU (Texas Southern University over in Houston), is a second tier state school but like any school you get out of it what you put into it. You can definitely get a quality education there if you want it! TxState has a bit of a party school reputation. Many of the students either were not accepted at UT or A&M or flunked out of one of those schools and are now rehabilitating their grades at TxState. Another reason to go to TxState is to stay closer to home, so you find many local students who did not want to move to the big city of Austin or to distant College Station.
There are many quality apartments in San Marcos so there is no reason to commute from Austin to TxState if you don't have to.
It's a short drive, by Texas standards, to Austin, 30-40 minutes. You have to drive by car, there is extremely limited / non-existent options to the automobile in central Texas.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 12,902 times
Cool A tiny pearl in a sloppy fat oyster

The previous writer was right about TX State having plenty of opportunities for a good education. Party boys and girls here are notorious. I work at the university library, and Thursdays this place is dead. Still, we do have several high quality programs such as geography, health sciences, criminal justice, computer science, physics, business, and others. Like the last guy said, you get out what you put in. As far a living here, this is the second time I've moved here and it still sucks. The quality of construction of most houses is very poor, although apartments are about the same as everywhere. Prices are maybe slightly cheaper here for apartments than in Austin. The commute will wear you down, unless you get something in the dreary suburbs of South Austin. Generally speaking, this is not a center of intellectual curiosity. You can find some of that in certain schools on campus and in several pockets of Austin. Keep in mind that George Bush still kind of likes this area. Lastly, the San Marcos River is one of a kind. It is crystal clear, 68 degrees year round spring fed. It's just an amazing gift of life in the long, burning, endless hot summer. My job and the educational opportunities keep me here.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:28 PM

92 posts, read 761,556 times
Texas State has one of the best education depts. in Texas.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:02 AM

78 posts, read 123,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina07 View Post
Hello everyone,
I am currently a student at a community college in Pennsylvania. I will graduate this coming summer. I plan to transfer to Texas State University-San marcos. Is it a good school? Is San Marcos far from Austin. Is it hard to find an apartment in austin?
Please help
Its about 20 minutes from Austin depending where in San Marcos and where in Austin...about 30-35 to downtown.

Old 03-29-2007, 12:23 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,536 times
It's your typical state university... nothing special. They do have some very strong departments (geography especially) but they are nowhere near the level of the two main public universities in Texas: UT and A&M.

You can get a good education there.. I just hope you can tolerate the other students. There are a lot of loud, stupid, frat-boy types and bleached blondes with spray-on tans who say "like" a lot. I was there the other day to talk to a graduate professor and was instantly reminded of why I left there (not the professor, the students). I felt really out of place after spending two years at St. Edward's University in Austin, which is rather calm and classy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin