U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:31 PM

7 posts, read 9,894 times
Default Can you recommend some neighborhoods?

This is a crazy post, but my wife and I have finally decided to make the move from the San Francisco area to Austin. We like it here very much, but are sick and tired of dedicating more than $6,000/month just to paying a mortgage on a 1700 square foot house!

I would really appreciate some insight from the board on neighborhoods that we should consider. We're planning on making several trips out to Austin over the next couple of months to take a look at listings. The most important factors for us would be the following:

1) Looking to spend around $250K to $350K
2) Need as least a 4 BR and 2.5 bath. Ideal square footage would be around 3,000. We don't want anything too big.
3) Needs to be in a good school district (little one starting kindergarten in 2 years)
4) Needs to be reasonably close to the good music and social spots in town. We prefer alternative/indy music as a general rule. Something within 10-15 minutes driving would be ideal.
5) Needs to be somewhere where my commute to downtown would likely be under 25-30 minutes each way in rush hour.
6) Prefer an older neighborhood with some character, but this isn't essential.

If someone could point me in the direction of the best neighborhoods to consider, it would sure be appreciated! Thanks and looking forward to making the move by summer!

Last edited by newtxfan; 01-05-2009 at 03:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 02:57 PM

8,597 posts, read 17,261,075 times
2) Any square footage requirements? I would assume that you are looking for ~2000 sqft+ to get a 4/2.5, but you could get that smaller or larger, or course.

3) There are quite a few good school districts, as well as some good schools in the AISD. This is actually pretty easy to accomplish unless you demand one of the few, very highest rated schools (specificallty Eanes). It is more (imo) a matter of avoiding the bad schools than trying to find the best.

4) Depends on what kind of music/venue you are looking for, and what your social spots are. Some people hang our at the lake, others like the warehouse district downtown. There are venues all over, but the older, didn't-quite-make-it-big-national bands tend to be outskirts. The we-are-still-trying-to-make-it-big, younger bands tend to work the downtown area. Also, what is reasonably close?

Looking at 5 and 6 (as well as the others), the places that jump out are SW Austin and NW Austin. You are a little further out from downtown, but the housing/schooling requirements seem to fit. Round Rock is another possibility, although you might have to search a little to find the older neighborhoods that are in that price range, not sure. Cedar Park is fairly new overall (at least it's growth) and Leander et al is getting a little far out from the core.

I know I didn't give any specific neighborhoods, but I would probably get the names wrong .

Old 01-05-2009, 03:08 PM

4,545 posts, read 6,459,381 times
Maybe Zilker or Barton Hills, maybe Allandale or Crestview?

Those would be my first choices, but might be a bit above your price point. All go to excellent AISD schools, all are close in neighborhoods.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:47 PM

11 posts, read 29,041 times
Default My suggested Subdivisions

[SIZE=3]Hello and Congrats on your decision to make the move to Austin. There are several subdivisions that I would look into. They are as follow:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Circle C, Western Oaks, Legend Oaks, Shady Hollow, Southland Oaks, Village at Western Oaks. These will meet a lot of what you are looking for. Good Luck and Happy Searching![/SIZE]

Old 01-05-2009, 03:59 PM

481 posts, read 1,061,554 times
As always, I think of Westcreek. That is the triangle that is surrounded by 290 west, Mo-pac/Loop 1, and William Cannon.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:18 AM

7 posts, read 9,894 times
Thank you everyone for the thoughtful replies! My wife and I have been doing some extensive research over the past week and have made some modifications to our preferences:

1) First, we've decided to raise the search price to the $350K to $400K range.

2) She really wants to be in a location that would be within 10-15 minutes of 6th Street and the main music venues. We're both very much into music and we know that this will be a major part of our lives.

3) If possible, we'd like a home with a pool, or at least a lot that would allow construction of a pool.

4) Still looking for at least a 4BR, 2.5BA. Anything bigger than 2500 sq. ft. is more than plenty for us.

5) School district needs to be solid.

With these new considerations in mind, any recommendations for neighborhoods that might fit the bill?

Old 01-06-2009, 10:27 AM

11 posts, read 29,041 times
There are a few 4 bedroom homes currently active on the Austin market in The Cuernavaca, Austin Lake Hills and Lost Creek (all in the Westlake area) that fit what you are looking for. Still more options in the subdivisions I mentioned before. There are two rock solid school districts, Eanes and Lake Travis. You are within the price range of Lake Travis but will not be within 15 minutes of Downtown. The Westlake area ( Eanes school) will get you closer to the 15 minute drive to downtown.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:51 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,434,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtxfan View Post
Thank you everyone for the thoughtful replies! My wife and I have been doing some extensive research over the past week and have made some modifications to our preferences:

1) First, we've decided to raise the search price to the $350K to $400K range.

2) She really wants to be in a location that would be within 10-15 minutes of 6th Street and the main music venues. We're both very much into music and we know that this will be a major part of our lives.

3) If possible, we'd like a home with a pool, or at least a lot that would allow construction of a pool.

4) Still looking for at least a 4BR, 2.5BA. Anything bigger than 2500 sq. ft. is more than plenty for us.

5) School district needs to be solid.

With these new considerations in mind, any recommendations for neighborhoods that might fit the bill?
I would recommend South Austin near Onion Creek either side of I-35. The schools that feed into this area are solid (acceptable) and are brand new. This is a fast growing area with Southpark meadows nearby - this shopping center is the largest in central texas. You can find a house for $100-$150/sf in this area, and I have seen new construction approaching 400k. This part of town is only about 9 miles from downtown, and is one of the last decent close-in parts of town where you can get 1/2 acre lots and a 3000 sf house for less than 300K. It is rather hilly for being east of Mopac as well. It is under your revised price range, but it is a sound investment.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:59 AM

6,808 posts, read 10,281,958 times
Based on your list, and coming from San Francisco... I think Barton Hills would probably be the optimal neighborhood. It would be difficult, but not impossible to find something for under $400K there (don't forget the property taxes when thinking of your monthly payment). Definitely don't rule out any neighborhood because of price at this point; there are some motivated sellers out there.

Second recommendations would be Rollingwood or other neighborhoods in the Westlake area (as mentioned before). They are close to downtown, but not as walkable or diverse as Barton Hills. Nicer lots and bigger homes though. 400K would just get you in. ISD is Eanes.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:24 PM

2,291 posts, read 2,926,858 times
Anything that close to 6th Street will probably not be the caliber of schools you are looking for - at least not past elementary.

I would check out Westlake and Rollingwood. You may have to sacrifice house size or cough up more money, but it's the best school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin