Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:55 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times

Advertisements

Anyone else ready to just cut their head off? I can't breathe, can't sleep - it sucks. I am going through 2 boxes of tissues a day (no exaggeration). I am on about every prescription allergy medication known to man, and nothing is helping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 06:59 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Get tested and start giving yourself shots. It literally changed my life. I was the same way but now I rarely take any allergy meds. On a rare occasion, I just pop a single Zyrtec and I am fine.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I get by on Alavert-D. (Non-prescription, but you do have to sign for it.) Only thing that works for me - I had to try several until I found the one that worked with my particular body chemistry.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Get tested and start giving yourself shots. It literally changed my life. I was the same way but now I rarely take any allergy meds. On a rare occasion, I just pop a single Zyrtec and I am fine.
I think it's too late to for the shots for this year. When do I have to start? I've been to docs for this before, but they just give me a script for a different allergy med (I'm actually going to another one next week). And I only have issues with cedar.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:12 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
I think it's too late to for the shots for this year. When do I have to start? I've been to docs for this before, but they just give me a script for a different allergy med (I'm actually going to another one next week). And I only have issues with cedar.
I started right in the middle of cedar season last year so you can start anytime.

Request a referral to see an allergist. Regular doctors just prescribe drugs. They'll test you for the 40 or so most common allergens in the area and then give you a serum of the ones you are allergic to (there's no drugs in allergy shots). You give yourself the shot (2 in my case since I am allergic to 27 things) once a week. The dosage increases each week until you start your next batch of serum and then you start over.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:52 AM

6 posts, read 29,896 times
My wife and I just moved to Austin in August and while we love it, we have been having some of the symptoms of Cedar allergies over the last week. The only thing about taking shots is, that we're trying to have a baby. Does anyone know if they're OK for someone who's pregnant or trying to get pregnant?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:00 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
You must live west of Mopac. Allergies are ridiculous out there - it's night and day.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:28 PM
yam

228 posts, read 887,376 times
Arrghh! I wrote up a nice detailed reply a few minutes ago but it got lost somewhere.

I had similar problems in the past. Here's a quick summary of what worked for me: find an allergist near your workplace or commute, check your insurance, and get the shots. Use sinus irrigation, meds, and nose strips in the meantime.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
You must live west of Mopac. Allergies are ridiculous out there - it's night and day.
Yep. I'm in Steiner. Funny thing is, I lived in Austin for over a decade before I developed this allergy.

Thanks, everyone, for the info. I am going to look into the shots. I guess I'll stick to my meds for now. Only thing I won't do is nose drops/nasal sprays. I just can not stand to put anything in my nose. I did suck it up and try the nasonex, and it didn't work anyway.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:53 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,496,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
I started right in the middle of cedar season last year so you can start anytime.

Request a referral to see an allergist. Regular doctors just prescribe drugs. They'll test you for the 40 or so most common allergens in the area and then give you a serum of the ones you are allergic to (there's no drugs in allergy shots). You give yourself the shot (2 in my case since I am allergic to 27 things) once a week. The dosage increases each week until you start your next batch of serum and then you start over.
I agree with all of the above. As to how long, I saw results after about a year on the shots, so it takes a fair time for the body to build up resistance, but it is totally worth it if you want a long term drug-free solution. As has been mentioned before, we are discussing immunotherapy shots, whoch expose your body to minutely increasing amounts of the things your body reacts to, not steroids which can provide temporary relief.
I'm on a 2 shot maintenance dose now (one in each arm) every 4-6 weeks. I use these guys, and have no affiliation other than as a satisfied patient....
Allergy and Asthma Center of Austin (http://www.nosneezes.com/index.html - broken link)

- Tim

Oh and another thing, you can try flushing your nose with saline solution, it does work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin