Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:29 AM

15,237 posts, read 35,431,654 times

Advertisements

The heat is generally higher than where 'you' are coming from, with the exception of a few places in the SW, such as Phoenix. The humidity, by most people's standards, is moderate. I have grown up in the Austin area and generally don't mind the heat much - you kind of just 'give in' to it and don't worry about it. Of course, I usually where shorts and sandals to work. Austin dress code is casual for a reason.

Now, to be honest, there are those exceptional days that generally show up in August or early September, when the temperatures climb just a few degrees higher and hang out for a few days. 103 or 104 or such with slightly higher humidity than usually. Those are hot, no matter where you are from or what you are used to. You end up spending a lot of time at the pool or in doors. The really hot period usually only lasts a week (maybe two), and then drops back down a couple of degrees and it feels wonderful .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 02:39 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,022,972 times
I have to agree - though I haven't lived here for the summer. My sister has lived here for 14 yrs though, so I have visited often, for long periods, and at varying times.

I am originally from Virginia, where it gets both hot and extremely humid, but have lived a long time in the Seattle area - where most homes don't even have air conditioning because there is no need.

It gets HOT here, but it's managable and liveable - and the hottest part of the day, you might be inside anyway (school, work, errands - etc). I personally don't feel like it gets all that humid here.. not like, walk out the door and can't breathe humid - like I have experienced elsewhere.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:16 PM

644 posts, read 3,314,448 times
Thanks everyone for your responses. I think I have an idea what it's like. I'm used to dry heat. Just trying to get a sense of what it's like in Austin. I liked in Perth Australia for a while. Summers it got over 100 degrees, sometimes up to 110. My second summer, I suddenly noticed I was walking around shopping one day that was over 100 degrees! And I was fine!

I'm headed to Austin end of the month to check it out. I have to leave Los Angeles. No choice. I just can't afford it here anymore. I'm going to Austin and then to Raleigh NC to see what I like best. Wish me luck.

Artie

Old 03-09-2007, 06:37 PM

6 posts, read 55,699 times
I'm moving from Fresno, CA to Austin in July. I can't imagine any place being as hot as it is here in Fresno. July - September are positively brutal. Has anyone who has made the trek from the Central Valley to Austin draw me a comparison? I'm excited about every aspect of the move except for the sense that I just might be leaving the frying pan for the fire. Give me some good news, folks, whaddaya say?

Old 03-10-2007, 08:22 PM

124 posts, read 573,302 times
Yes, HOT HOT HOT. But the winters are great.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 26,864 times
I have lived in this area for 50+ years. It is hot, very hot. The problem is; unlike many areas which get hot during the day, Austin does not cool down in the evenings, commonly being in the high 80's to 90's at 10:00PM. 20-30 years ago things cooled down a bit but not any longer - there is a large amount of concrete to store the heat and create a heat island. There are almost 1.5 million people here and thousands coming every week. Two years ago in September during Austin city limits festival it was 108 in the park. It is a little cooler from about 4:30-5:30 in the morning.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:42 PM

22 posts, read 67,028 times
It is really hot in Austin but it does not get hot here as soon as it does in Phoenix.

It is sticky humid heat on some days but not on others.

My dogs survived the move from "up north" but it was rough on them. Gradually introduce them to the heat and take plenty of water with you on your walks. Find a good vet and get their shots for this area with certain parisites.

There are several doggie parks for people with dogs and Zilker park is dog friendly (well it was a couple of years ago).

Old 03-11-2007, 11:02 PM

122 posts, read 391,715 times
I'm wondering about the heat, too. I'm thinking of moving to Austin as well. The part about the concrete trapping the heat was interesting.

I'm from Virginia, felt hot there, but didn't care and would play outside as long as I liked. Never had any problems with being out any time of day, just felt a bit "uncomfortable" is all. Didn't like it in the direct sun, but then I feel like the sun is burning me even when it's in the 70's, so that's not really a temperature thing. I guess a long sleeve shirt will take care of that though.

I visited Phoenix last year (October), and when it was 98 out it felt "too hot" and after a while I had to go in. When it was 87 I was fine (maybe a bit uncomfortable).

So... will it be so bad that I, personally, would have to stay inside, or will I just be "uncomfortable" during the summer? Or would it be hard to tell from what I've said? How does one figure just what their "heat tolerance" level is?

BTW, how's the tree situation there? Are there wooded areas? Tree-lined streets? What kind of trees? I'm sure someone's answered this before, but since I'm getting pretty certain about going down there I figure I better double check, first.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:52 AM

2,267 posts, read 7,303,064 times
CandyApple,

I see you're from Alaska so I would have to say that it will definitely feel HOT to you here in the summer. But from what you describe, I think you'll just be uncomfortable in the summer. I moved here from Florida and I can tolerate summers here much easier because the humidity is lower. It's really hard though for anyone else to guess how someone will react to weather.

As for trees, yes, there are trees everywhere. In my neighborhood (Central Austin) we have tons of mature oaks and pecan trees. There are also a lot of redbuds, dogwoods, and other trees in bloom right now (Spring has sprung). Crepe myrtle is another popular one. There are cedar trees here too but not in my neighborhood. They are found out toward the Hill Country and in the green spaces that are set aside. (Austin has set aside large areas of greenbelts). The cedars (junipers) aren't great cause people have terrible allergies to the pollen. They also suck up water.

If you go walking along the Town Lake Hike and Bike trail you will see some HUGE trees. They are mostly cypress trees; you'd be shocked at how big they are.

Sorry to go on like this but plants are a passion of mine.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:17 PM

644 posts, read 3,314,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
CandyApple,

I see you're from Alaska so I would have to say that it will definitely feel HOT to you here in the summer. But from what you describe, I think you'll just be uncomfortable in the summer. I moved here from Florida and I can tolerate summers here much easier because the humidity is lower. It's really hard though for anyone else to guess how someone will react to weather.

As for trees, yes, there are trees everywhere. In my neighborhood (Central Austin) we have tons of mature oaks and pecan trees. There are also a lot of redbuds, dogwoods, and other trees in bloom right now (Spring has sprung). Crepe myrtle is another popular one. There are cedar trees here too but not in my neighborhood. They are found out toward the Hill Country and in the green spaces that are set aside. (Austin has set aside large areas of greenbelts). The cedars (junipers) aren't great cause people have terrible allergies to the pollen. They also suck up water.

If you go walking along the Town Lake Hike and Bike trail you will see some HUGE trees. They are mostly cypress trees; you'd be shocked at how big they are.

Sorry to go on like this but plants are a passion of mine.
Hi Austin Traveler,

It's refreshing to hear there are so many trees in Austin! I'm looking forward to my visit on the 21st of the month.

Artie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin