Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:51 PM

426 posts, read 1,673,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Enchiladas y Mas on Anderson are the best enchiladas up north.
I have tons of family that's been in Round Rock for, no joke, 60, 70, 80 years - and this is the one place they absolutely love to go. Good food for very cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
One little gem in Northwest Austin is Jardin Corona on Pond Springs Road.
I work near here and it's the only place we'll go for Mexican for lunch. Food is normally very good and the daily lunch specials during the week are AWESOME deals at $5 total with drink included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 10:19 PM

151 posts, read 348,287 times
I'm partial to El Azteca on E 7th. It's central, not north, but I think it's worth a special trip.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:08 AM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times
Matt's El Rancho and Maria's Taco Express on South Lamar is good, Santa Rita on 38th and Lamar is pretty good, I really don't have a "favorite" place in Austin. Casa Rio in San Antonio is my favorite by far, Tex Mex style.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:08 PM

174 posts, read 501,651 times
http://www.statesman.com/dining/content/dining/reviews01/mexican.html (broken link)

Where did the phrase interior mexican food come from ? Don't you just mean Authentic?Why can't people just say authentic mexican food or traditional ?

Old 01-19-2009, 07:23 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
As the article said, interior Mexican is from interior Mexican states, not border states, is my understanding. Entirely different kind of food, really. Both are "authentic" or "traditional". Sort of like the different cuisines from the different parts of China, for example.

And a carne guisada burrito from Spanish Village is also the first Mexican food that I ever had! In 1969, not 1968, though.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:12 PM

535 posts, read 1,294,675 times
Since we are on the subject of mexican food, I have a question. I am from the Gulf Coast of Alabama and we had several mexican food restaurants in the area....owned by "real" mexican people. They all had a delicious white cheese dip that I have not managed to find here in Texas. This white cheese was akin to Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Florida.

We have ate at many different restaurants here in Austin and have not been able to find this white cheese dip. Even when we ask about it no one seems to be familiar at all with the white cheese caso.

Does anybody have any insight on this????

Old 01-19-2009, 08:50 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luksky View Post
Since we are on the subject of mexican food, I have a question. I am from the Gulf Coast of Alabama and we had several mexican food restaurants in the area....owned by "real" mexican people. They all had a delicious white cheese dip that I have not managed to find here in Texas. This white cheese was akin to Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Florida.

We have ate at many different restaurants here in Austin and have not been able to find this white cheese dip. Even when we ask about it no one seems to be familiar at all with the white cheese caso.

It may queso fresco or queso flameado. Baby Acupulco's used to have a queso fresco with mushrooms, but it's gone now (looked at their menu). I know they use it as a sauce on enchiladas at several places; but I haven't seen it as just a dip, either. I'll bet you could find it somewhere...

Azul Tequila has queso flameado.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:56 AM

5,863 posts, read 11,917,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luksky View Post

I have a funny story about that. Many years ago, I was on a business trip to Johnson City, Tennessee and the locals wanted to impress us Texans with their Mexican restaurant. I was dubious of course, but the restaurant was run by 3 brothers from Mexico City and was indeed very good. I asked if they had queso and he said "cheese sauce, sí!" They brought out the more traditional queso blanco that is prevalent in Mexico. The yellow stuff you get here is strictly a Tex-Mex concoction, you won't find it served south of the border. One thing I've noted is that the Mexican restaurants I've been to in the southeast lean more towards authentic Mexican than our Tex-Mex version.

I'm not aware of any restaurants in the area that serve true queso fresco, but atxcio is right - the queso flameado at Baby A's and Azul is about as close as you're going to come.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:07 AM

114 posts, read 180,314 times
When I lived in Austin, I took all my visitors to Polvo's on 1st street. The plates are under 12, and all my visitors were impressed by the food. I know a few have mentioned chuy's but their plates are tasteless, and we tried different locations since chuy's restaurants are scattered in different parts of austin, so give polvos a try!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:06 AM

178 posts, read 458,743 times
Polvo's, Jardin Corona ( I think there is another location in Cedar Park), La Margarita - Round Rock, Maudie's - although you'll be lucky to park at the one on Lake Austin Blvd., there is also a newer place near of 183/Anderson Mill (where Hole In The Wall died), but I can't remember the name. I wonder how anyone could recommend Chuy's. Was the place good once? From the chips and salsa (yuk!) to the check (yikes!) it's been bad. We gave it two tries because we hear of it so often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin