Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:50 PM

43 posts, read 213,312 times

Advertisements

I just moved into an apartment complex about 8 miles north of the downtown area in Austin and I canceled my scheduled appointment with Time Warner because I am able to pick up on a wireless signal from my room! I do not even have a wireless router set up.

I was wondering if anyone else has else has experienced a similar situation or had anymore information about this. My guess is that I must be picking up a signal through someone else's router nearby.

Wouldn't it be a waste of money to pay Time Warner when I can get the signal for free?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 01:01 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
It could be, but apartment turnover is generally pretty high, so your neighbor with the non-encrypted wireless could move at any time. Or they could decide to encypt, especially if they notice an increase in lag/decrease in bandwidth .

On the other hand, it is completely legal, as far as I know, to piggyback on someones signal. A few years ago when I had moved out of my house and it was for sale, I found out I could just barely get a signal from a neighbor and it was quite convienent for checking online while I was over working on the house.....

Old 01-16-2009, 01:02 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnulife View Post
I just moved into an apartment complex about 8 miles north of the downtown area in Austin and I canceled my scheduled appointment with Time Warner because I am able to pick up on a wireless signal from my room! I do not even have a wireless router set up.

I was wondering if anyone else has else has experienced a similar situation or had anymore information about this. My guess is that I must be picking up a signal through someone else's router nearby.

Wouldn't it be a waste of money to pay Time Warner when I can get the signal for free?
I know a lot of people who do this but ....

1) Technically you're stealing, but only because someone is trusting or dumb.
2) If they smarten up and protect their signal you lose access
3) I'm not sure, but using an unsecured connection could allow them access to your computer. You are hooked into their network inside their firewall.

I'd get my own hookup.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:07 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Remember that if it is not an encrypted network, it's a security threat not only to the person running it -- it can be a threat to you. If the neighbor is so lazy about securing his/her network, they are also pretty lax about virus control. Their infected computer would be on your network!

Also, hackers sometimes put up unsecure networks (usually in public places like airports & hotels) specifically to steal information from you. Someone sitting in an airport thinks they are using the airport's free wifi, but actually it's a hacker whose set it up and is capturing your web traffic... like usernames/passwords, etc. It's not hard to do.

As you can probably gathered, I don't ever use unsecured wifi networks. I have a sprint broadband card which works everywhere, I just use that if I'm out and about.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:11 PM

43 posts, read 213,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Remember that if it is not an encrypted network, it's a security threat not only to the person running it -- it can be a threat to you. If the neighbor is so lazy about securing his/her network, they are also pretty lax about virus control. Their infected computer would be on your network!

Also, hackers sometimes put up unsecure networks (usually in public places like airports & hotels) specifically to steal information from you. Someone sitting in an airport thinks they are using the airport's free wifi, but actually it's a hacker whose set it up and is capturing your web traffic... like usernames/passwords, etc. It's not hard to do.

As you can probably gathered, I don't ever use unsecured wifi networks. I have a sprint broadband card which works everywhere, I just use that if I'm out and about.
How does the Sprint broadband card work?

Old 01-16-2009, 03:36 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnulife View Post
How does the Sprint broadband card work?
It uses the Sprint cell phone network for data. You plug it into your computer via USB or XD/PCMIA. The card itself is like a separate cell phone, you buy a plan for it... but, it's not cheap. The card can be $250+ and the monthly data service is like $69. If you are in an EVDO area (most major cities), the speed is equivalent to DSL. In areas where the network is a bit older, the data connection still works but it's slower.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:02 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,097,872 times
HA!

Yes, I do. The hotel near my house, and a whole host of other networks from who knows where plus a couple of neighbors. And we have our own wireless network too!

Old 01-16-2009, 05:32 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,688,656 times
My husband has picked it up at various places around town. The convention center area has it and if they have a delivery in that area he'll sit there and use theirs while he's waiting.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:22 PM

59 posts, read 173,430 times
i was using my neighbors and they either moved or secured theri connection, sucks for me. Now I have one of those broadband cards that atx was talking about except mine is from Cricket. It was about $150 w/ tax and insurance and it came with a $50 rebate. The service is prepaid and 40 a month and the first month was free. Ive only had it for 4 days but its working great so far, but im keeping my fingers crossed, it was a hard two weeks hoping I would get my free connection back. Thats the crappy thing if they suddenly wise up and secure it, you have to wait weeks for Time Warner or ATT to come out and install internet.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:04 PM

269 posts, read 913,636 times
I used to live right off of Riverside and I used to pick up City of Austin internet, I found it out they wouldn't encrypt theirs, surely they have the IT staff that knows how to do it. I'm a good little Time Warner paying customer now ... cause I needed cable and a phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: