Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:24 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,094,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
That is the zip code and schools we moved AWAY from. The schools themselves may be better than most in Austin, but we heard entirely too many neighbors complain about AISD in general - liberal policies (make sure you don't say Christmas), teachers complaining about the dress code - THEIR dress code ('cause apparently khakis are oppressive), etc.
LOL! I hope that you didn't move away just because of neighbors' comments about the schools. That is a uniformly well-off zip code and in my experience, a certain strata of well-off people can be huge complainers. It is key to get inside the school and have some direct experience. I know several current and former AISD teachers and I've never heard any complaints about dress code! I have some issues with AISD (my kids go to private schools) but I would have the very same issues with RRISD, LISD, or Lake Travis too -- namely, large classes, over-emphasis on standardized testing, and inability to individualize the curriculum to meet the needs of individual students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 PM

743 posts, read 1,370,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
I wouldn't want to do that commute every day - why not look at areas much closer to work? Steiner is quite isolated, but is near the lake if that's important. However - to me the everyday life of school/commute/work would mean more.

Both Caraway and Laurel Mountain are very good elementary schools in the area near your office - great area to live, lovely homes and much more interesting and central without being busy/built up. And under 10 mins commute .
I agree. I drive to 78759 every day. If I knew then what I know now, and wanted a good public school and a great commute, I'd consider a home in either Caraway or Laurel Mtn boundaries. While technically RR ISD, they are much closer in than Round Rock, quite close to the Arboretum and several major highways, great area, etc etc.

I second a vote for consideration of these areas!!!

I also think driving from Lakeway each day could really wear you down. Those internet maps don't account for local traffic.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:55 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,311,817 times
Quote:
That is the zip code and schools we moved AWAY from. The schools themselves may be better than most in Austin, but we heard entirely too many neighbors complain about AISD in general - liberal policies (make sure you don't say Christmas), teachers complaining about the dress code - THEIR dress code ('cause apparently khakis are oppressive), etc.

Some people like liberal policies and actually look for schools like that. What in the world are public schools doing celebrating Christmas, anyway?
Doss, Hill, Murchison and Anderson are wonderful schools. They are diverse and inclusive. My complaint? They're too big.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:40 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,417,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post

Some people like liberal policies and actually look for schools like that. What in the world are public schools doing celebrating Christmas, anyway?
Doss, Hill, Murchison and Anderson are wonderful schools. They are diverse and inclusive. My complaint? They're too big.
I agree - public school shouldn't be celebrating Christmas. But if a student does, s/he should be allowed to talk about it or draw a picture about it, or give a card to a friend who also celebrates is.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:03 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Quote:
I agree - public school shouldn't be celebrating Christmas. But if a student does, s/he should be allowed to talk about it or draw a picture about it, or give a card to a friend who also celebrates is.
You know, that wasn't a problem that we ran into when my kids were in school (and since they're 12 years apart, it spanned quite a period of time) or that my sister, who was a teacher for 30 years, or my nieces, who are still teachers, have run into. It's like prayer in public schools - the schools, as governmental agencies, can't promote one religion over another and they'd have to celebrate all the holidays in order to be fair and legal. However, I've never heard of anyone telling a kid that they can't give a card to a friend or talk about Christmas. Or any other holiday.

Where exactly have you personally observed this happening?

Old 01-23-2009, 03:22 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,417,066 times
My old neighbor sent her first grader to Hill Elem. with a sweatshirt that said Merry Christmas and had a picture of Santa Claus. She was asked to please not have him wear it to school again - it might offend someone. Needless to say, he went to private school the following year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin