U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 AM

6,840 posts, read 10,721,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKjay View Post
I think it's the arrogance of some cyclists that puts people off, yes not an ounce of fat, but as a variation on Twange's comment; they were probably conceived in the shallow end of the gene pool.
I think that's true.. certainly, on first glance I had the same negative reaction. And it's probably the right reaction, as they are doing some pretty stupid things.

But if you think about it, what if it was a F-150 truck (instead of some cyclists) cutting someone off or running that light in front of other cars? Would the people here still have no problem running into that truck, to teach them a lesson?

I hope so... because guess what? That happens daily.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 12:38 PM

509 posts, read 838,553 times
Default Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, most of that looked like adolescent male fun, with which I have no problem whatsoever. However, a couple of them are the kind of cyclist that give cyclists a bad name, and should have their bikes revoked.
The thing that bothered me most about the video is that few of them were wearing helmets. Obviously, they've never met anyone who experienced a traumatic brain injury. Kind of hard to be a cool dude when you've lost a lot of your functioning. I did like the music though.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:49 PM

2,333 posts, read 5,189,676 times
Well, besides the fact that they're all cool, in great shape and having fun...

For the most part, if someone wants to ride their bikes with irreverence towards their own safety, fine. But I reject the notion that they're are only putting themselves at risk. If a biker blows off a light and/or weaves in and out of traffic, most drivers will react intuitively by slamming on their brakes and/or over-correcting in order not to hit them. That puts drivers at risk and that's not cool at all. It does nothing to further the cause of bikes on the road nor foster a positive relationship between bikers and auto drivers. Since bike referendums often show up on ballots, voted on by the general public, one would think that this relationship would be important. Acting irreverent(or condescending) towards cars is just a juvenile form of bike terrorism. We see where that tactic has gotten the world.

I'd have to analyze the video again and see if Lance is part of every scene(or is it just edited to make it look like they're all hanging with Lance). If he does condone that type of riding, I'm pretty disappointed in him.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:54 PM

16,416 posts, read 22,669,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Well, besides the fact that they're all cool, in great shape and having fun...

For the most part, if someone wants to ride their bikes with irreverence towards their own safety, fine. But I reject the notion that they're are only putting themselves at risk. If a biker blows off a light and/or weaves in and out of traffic, most drivers will react intuitively by slamming on their brakes and/or over-correcting in order not to hit them. That puts drivers at risk and that's not cool at all. It does nothing to further the cause of bikes on the road nor foster a positive relationship between bikers and auto drivers. Since bike referendums often show up on ballots, voted on by the general public, one would think that this relationship would be important. Acting irreverent(or condescending) towards cars is just a juvenile form of bike terrorism. We see where that tactic has gotten the world.

I'd have to analyze the video again and see if Lance is part of every scene(or is it just edited to make it look like they're all hanging with Lance). If he does condone that type of riding, I'm pretty disappointed in him.
Pretty much in agreement with his post. All of the professional racers that I've known in the automobile and motorcycle world have been MORE safety-conscious on the street than most drivers, because they know (a) what can happen when things go wrong and (b) most of the drivers out there don't have their skill and it's a bad thing to show off in that situation because you can't count on what they'll do and also because they have no need to prove anything to anybody out on the public roads - it would be embarrassing to them to act that way.

So if Lance participates in or encourages this type of behavior, it only makes him look bad.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:19 PM

For the most part, if someone wants to ride their bikes with irreverence towards their own safety, fine. But I reject the notion that they're are only putting themselves at risk.

I agree that they are putting others at risk with their behavior, but it's actually more than that. God forbid that something tragic does happen and they need extensive medical care, it's pretty easy to max out health insurance coverage. After that, they are on society's dime for all of their care. Not so cool after all.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:11 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,454,896 times
I don't think we need a nanny state to tell them to use a helmet of 'be careful'. They're adults- if they want to ride like a bat out of hell, go for it. It's up to them how they're going to pay for the hospital bill when they go flying....
They are nice to look at.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I don't think we need a nanny state to tell them to use a helmet of 'be careful'. They're adults- if they want to ride like a bat out of hell, go for it. It's up to them how they're going to pay for the hospital bill when they go flying....
They are nice to look at.
Actually, it has been figured out already. You and I are paying for it through our tax dollars toward health care facility costs and then through Medicaid when they need long term care. Glad you enjoyed it.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:17 PM

5,459 posts, read 6,283,577 times
Is that really Lance? I didn't think he was stupid enough to ride without a helmet. Seemed very staged to me. Ya it pisses me off too, because if you anger certain drivers, they may take their anger out on me-even though I am riding responsibily.

Old 01-24-2009, 02:22 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,454,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mom View Post
Actually, it has been figured out already. You and I are paying for it through our tax dollars toward health care facility costs and then through Medicaid when they need long term care. Glad you enjoyed it.
Hey, I vote AGAINST every bond election, including the ridiculous money grab called the Travis County Health Care District. Government is a bad, bad thing.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:24 PM

5,317 posts, read 6,466,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mom View Post
A) I wear a helmet 99.9% of the time I ride a bike but I would ride without a helmet if I needed to...playing the odds--lots of miles on lots of bikes in 25 years and haven't 'needed' a helmet yet. Can't say the same about my motorcycle experiences 35 years ago when I did crack a helmet.(Thank you motorist who changed lanes w/o looking)

2) Have heard the 'we all pay when you wreck your head' for over 35 years and no one has produced any numbers that suggest that bicycle related injuries have any noticeable effect on taxes, insurance, premiums, etc for the overall public. Couldn't be a drop in the bucket compared to other 'questionable' decisions like smoking, drug abuse, etc. I'm guessing the word 'specious' would apply here.

Disclaimer: I am in NO WAY suggesting that people ride like jerks and don't wear helmets in the process...just don't think the 'we ALL pay' argument holds in this case.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin