Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 11:53 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,832 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Austin a long time and have always wondered about this. About 15 years ago, we managed a rental property for an elderly out-of-town friend. It was a small old house in Central Austin. The last renters were brutally murdered in the house and it eventually went up for sale and the structure (which should have been deemed historic; but that's another post) was demolished. Yesterday, I drove by it and saw that a large luxury home is being constructed on the site. My question then is ...is a house or lot's history explained to each subsequent owner? Or is there a period after which it just disappears and no one knows? Or do buyers not care about a house's history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
Who would explain it? The 'period' is the lenght of one's memory. And, if this is a new luxury house, the house has no 'history', anyway......

Old 01-30-2009, 12:17 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
I've seen a couple of threads on this forum about this subject... it's a little strange to me, being originally from the east coast.. where the houses are much older. No one really asks or cares. I can understand the curiosity, I guess, but...

If you were staying at a hotel, would you want them to notify you of a murder that occurred in the same room? What about a hospital stay, would you want to know how many people died in your hospital bed?

I think the only rule regarding disclosure is if the house somehow caused death. Like, if someone fell down the stairs or got hit by a beam that fell. Houses that possess evil demons causing voices in your head that may or may not trigger a killing spree, well, no disclosure of that condition is required

Besides that, disclosure will come from the spooky neighbor down the street that has lived in the neighborhood forever, and tells you the tale of the man/woman who was murdered or committed suicide in your house.

For recent events, you can always google the address or check the crime databases.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:39 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
What a grim topic!

Old 01-30-2009, 03:25 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,679 times
The seller's disclosure form has a section to list any deaths that occurred on the property.

So, if you have to use the Castle Domain Law, make sure you drag that body out to the Right-of-Way while it's still warm. Last thing you want is for that criminal to drop your property value.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:49 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
Do you remember the story last year about the UK realtor who was showing a home to a potential buyer and came upon the dead homeowner hanging in the closet?

Estate agent finds owner's body hanging in wardrobe as he shows house to buyer | Mail Online

Old 01-30-2009, 03:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Usually a house is haunted, not a lot

I'd want to know if a ghost roamed the house at midnight !

The Tavern anyone ??

Old 01-30-2009, 09:07 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Quote:
The seller's disclosure form has a section to list any deaths that occurred on the property.
The Texas Association of Realtors Seller Disclosure forms asks if the seller is aware of any death on the property, "except for those caused by: natural causes, suicide, or accident unrelated to the condition of the property".

So, a seller would have to disclose murder, but not a death from old age or, interestingly, suicide. Subsequent owners would theoretically be aware of a listed death via the Seller's Disclosure, and an unbroken chain of disclosure would result, until such time as an omission of the past event would occur, perhaps as a result of foreclosure, or an estate sale, or seller living there so long they forget.

Steve

Old 01-30-2009, 09:48 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,367,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
The Texas Association of Realtors Seller Disclosure forms asks if the seller is aware of any death on the property, "except for those caused by: natural causes, suicide, or accident unrelated to the condition of the property".

So, a seller would have to disclose murder, but not a death from old age or, interestingly, suicide. Subsequent owners would theoretically be aware of a listed death via the Seller's Disclosure, and an unbroken chain of disclosure would result, until such time as an omission of the past event would occur, perhaps as a result of foreclosure, or an estate sale, or seller living there so long they forget.

Steve
I'm wondering how many states require this type of disclosure. I'm looking at my disclosure for the house I'm selling. There is nothing on it pertaining to any type of death having occurred in the house or on the property. I live in Pennsylvania.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:21 PM

447 posts, read 1,849,302 times
Interesting. My Dad died of cancer in our family home, and my Mom was told that when it comes time to sell, she will have to disclose that he passed away in the house. We're from Rhode Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: