Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 04:21 PM

207 posts, read 798,320 times

Advertisements

I know that probably sounds like a ridiculous question, but I'm from Toronto, Canada, and I am coming for a brief visit on the weekend of February 14th and I have no idea what kind of clothing/footwear is appropriate for this time of year. I am attending a graduate program interview/recruitment weekend at the University of Texas - Austin, so I need to chose footwear that is closed-toed and black, I think... I just want to avoid being laughed at for wearing season-inappropriate clothes. I'm very confused because the last time I checked, the temperature was 3 degrees Celsius, but a day or two before that it was 25! In Toronto we have four seasons, as you may know, so I am wondering what your current season is and what kind of attire is appropriate??? Do you wear socks ever? I'm planning to go shoe shopping tomorrow so your advice is urgently needed and greatly appreciated!! I want to make the best choice that will work even if the weather isn't great or if it's particularly hot.

Thanks so much in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 04:26 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
I wish I could be helpful, but the temperature could be any where from 20*F to 100*F. It's part our charm.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Why it's winter in Austin Texas.

That means bring shorts, tshirt, long pants, coat, gloves and pack suntan lotion

We have wild swings in temps from 80's down to 20's at night all in the course of 2-3 days; all in a single day if a cold front is moving through fast.

So pack a little bit of everything and you'll be prepared.

There's a saying here about the weather that if you don't like it just hang around for 24 hours.
There's a whole lot of truth to that saying.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:44 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
24 hours? What do you mean, 24 hours? It was in the 20's last night, in the 60's today, it will be in the 30's tonight and they're promising the 70's for tomorrow.

Just think layers when packing for an Austin winter. I used to try to put away my summer clothes for the winter, but I gave up. I might need them.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:02 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Yes, layer. It was freezing cold this morning and by the time I went to get my daughter from school we were running around getting some sun. It was definitely t-shirt weather.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:00 PM

269 posts, read 913,511 times
It's Cedar Season ... bring your allergy meds!! Zyrtec D seems to help some but beware. If you wear contacts bring glasses in case your eyes go all runny!

Old 01-30-2009, 06:16 PM

207 posts, read 798,320 times
Oh man...This sounds complicated. About the shoes: should I leave my socks at home? Any other shoe advice?

Old 01-30-2009, 07:17 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine_and_Will View Post
I know that probably sounds like a ridiculous question, but I'm from Toronto, Canada, and I am coming for a brief visit on the weekend of February 14th and I have no idea what kind of clothing/footwear is appropriate for this time of year. I am attending a graduate program interview/recruitment weekend at the University of Texas - Austin, so I need to chose footwear that is closed-toed and black, I think... I just want to avoid being laughed at for wearing season-inappropriate clothes. I'm very confused because the last time I checked, the temperature was 3 degrees Celsius, but a day or two before that it was 25! In Toronto we have four seasons, as you may know, so I am wondering what your current season is and what kind of attire is appropriate??? Do you wear socks ever? I'm planning to go shoe shopping tomorrow so your advice is urgently needed and greatly appreciated!! I want to make the best choice that will work even if the weather isn't great or if it's particularly hot.

Listen to a fellow Torontonian. I traveled from Toronto to Austin every second week for a couple of years before moving down here.

Right now Austin is equivalent to early spring in Toronto. That means you can get nice warm days, or you can get near freezing temperatures. Temperature fluctuation is the same as in Toronto in the winter, except instead of going from cold to D@MN COLD, it will go from nice to cold.

My wife has not worn socks since we moved here in August and has paid for it with cold feet a few times. If you want fashion advice from a fashion moron guy, bring socks but don't plan on wearing them.

Dress for a cool/nice spring day in Toronto, about 15-20 Celsius. I used to bring down a light windbreaker with a fleece underneath for the Toronto weather.

Check the weather channel web site for a long range forecast. It will not be accurate, but at least it will tell you if there is a major cold front coming in.

Good luck with your interview.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:48 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
You'll need to check back on Feb 13 to know how the weather will be on Feb 14.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:57 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,120,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabine_and_Will View Post

I would say it is early spring..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: