Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:12 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,904,656 times

Advertisements

we didnt worry so much about the heat back then, at least myfamily didnt. we werent all that pampered as i recalled and even though we had central air in our house, we rarely used it and loved having the windows open.

so, at the drive in i guess we didnt think much of it. i remember seeing star wars and also Heavy Metal up in Grand Prairie Texas at the drive in. we sat in our pjs as kids, there were even playgrounds in them.

are there any cool second run movie theatres in Austin? ones showing arthouse, indie movies or classic movies? and is there an Austin Film Festival? i have worked film festivals from Philly to Portland, Albany to Charleston so i would love to get involved there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 09:20 PM

718 posts, read 2,360,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
I remember there used to be many, many drive in's in Texas. However, last time I ever went to one was as a kid in the late 70's.. so I sometimes wonder (looking at some of the remaining drive-ins)... here in Texas, it's pretty hot and humid in the summer, even at night. Did people just leave their cars on with a/c and idle them through the whole show? Wouldn't that be pretty frowned upon now? Or did we just sit in the hot car with the windows open?
Don't you remember, back then there was no such thing as global warming, so we didn't even need a/c back then! I can still remember mom being in the hospital after having wrist surgery, so dad piled me and my sister up in the station wagon and headed to the drive in! We always wore our pj's and always took food. I can still remember that night, we saw "Grease" and "Saturday Night Fever"! Those were the days!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 09:24 PM

all we needed was cold doctor peppers and cold chicken or tuna salad sandwiches and homemade chocolate chip cookies, and heck did we even know there was supposed to be AC? I guess, since i am from the Carolinas, lived in Florida before coming to TX, hot weather just never bothered me.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:03 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
so, at the drive in i guess we didnt think much of it. i remember seeing star wars and also Heavy Metal up in Grand Prairie Texas at the drive in. we sat in our pjs as kids, there were even playgrounds in them.
Amazing! I have this exact same memory, in the DFW area, but not sure of the drive-in name. This would have been late 70's/early 80's, our parents took us to see Star Wars at the drive in, but Heavy Metal was playing on the other screen! As a 10-or-so year old kid, I had a very hard time keeping my eyes on the Star Wars screen. It must have been my 3rd time or so seeing Star Wars.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:09 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post
Don't you remember, back then there was no such thing as global warming, so we didn't even need a/c back then! I can still remember mom being in the hospital after having wrist surgery, so dad piled me and my sister up in the station wagon and headed to the drive in! We always wore our pj's and always took food. I can still remember that night, we saw "Grease" and "Saturday Night Fever"! Those were the days!!!
Yeah, I kind of figured we all just had a little more tolerance for a bit of sultry evening back then, and it didn't feel out of the ordinary. I don't remember being hot at the drive in... but then again, as kids we rode our bikes all day in the summer heat and never thought to complain. We are such wimps now.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:40 PM

yes, maybe today they get too hot with the helmuts on, lol

Old 02-04-2009, 10:58 PM

957 posts, read 3,350,645 times
For me it's the lakes, friendly people, and the gorgeous drive down 360 and part of 2222 (greenbelt area)

Old 02-05-2009, 07:27 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,895,861 times
Quote:
are there any cool second run movie theatres in Austin? ones showing arthouse, indie movies or classic movies? and is there an Austin Film Festival? i have worked film festivals from Philly to Portland, Albany to Charleston so i would love to get involved there
The Alamo Drafthouse is incredible. They show current movies (some mainstream and some not) but they also have great alternative programming and special events.

The Original Alamo Drafthouse Cinema (http://www.originalalamo.com/Default.aspx?l=4 - broken link)

The Dobie Theater on the UT campus shows arthouse movies.

Dobie Theatre (http://www.landmarktheatres.com/market/Austin/DobieTheatre.htm - broken link)

The Paramount theater downtown often shows classics, especially throughout the summer. This is a beautifully old, restored theater that also has live events:

The Paramount & State Theatres - Austin, TX: Home

And yes there is a film festival:

Austin Film Festival

Old 02-05-2009, 07:38 AM

Awesome!! do they also show childrens movies and cartoons? we have one here near Philadelphia, that Saturday mornings are for children, with old disney, cartoons, great stuff.

my uncle used to run a movie theatre in jackson Mississippi, and on saturdays it was all westerns, it was awesome.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:17 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,895,861 times
Quote:
Awesome!! do they also show childrens movies and cartoons? we have one here near Philadelphia, that Saturday mornings are for children, with old disney, cartoons, great stuff.

my uncle used to run a movie theatre in jackson Mississippi, and on saturdays it was all westerns, it was awesome.
I think they do but I don't know for sure as I don't have any kids! But I'm pretty sure someone does. Maybe someone with kids can chime in here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin