Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:28 PM

355 posts, read 922,884 times

Advertisements

I hadn't noticed that this was 3 years old! Wonder why DIS revived it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 10:30 AM

355 posts, read 1,230,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhbs93 View Post
I'm a 38 yr old active white female considering two job offers in either Austin or Atlanta. I'm originally from New Orleans and have been living and working in Manhattan for eight years and find I've become a cynical New Yorker. It's dirty, cramped, way too expensive, over rated, shallow dating scene. I need to spread out and be able to afford a better quality of life and meet quality people who are not so flaky and always trying to compete with you. Real people. I love New York in many regards, but I had my fill and I can always come back and visit New York as a tourist someday.
I visited Austin last year and fell in love with so many aspects and will be spending next weekend in Atlanta to check it out. Can anyone share their pros and cons of living in both cities?
I'm looking for a city that has both a cosmopolitan flare (professional) singles, great outdoor activities, arts (music, film), good shopping, real estate value, good continuing education and a smart casual lifestyle. (Gee, does that sound too yuppie?!)
Hi...I too have been thinking about relocating to the ATL. But as a 38 year old caucasion woman, you might fair better in in Austin, however the dating scene for people over 30 is not that great. Its fairly a college town, and I would only recommend Austin to those who already have a network here, like family and friends and if they are over 30, I recommend they come down here with a mate/partner to make things easier. Breaking into Austin's way of life is really hard, especially if you are originally from the North. I myself, who is 24 years old and bi-racial think I would benefit from Atlanta a WHOLE lot better than Austin. If you are looking for a city with real culture and stuff to do, move to the ATL, if you are looking for a peaceful and safe town that is a little dull if your not a college student and lacks in the dating department, then choose Austin.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:25 PM

144 posts, read 330,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
I am so NOT getting the Austin/New Orleans similarity thing...I can't think of anything that's similar about them, other than "live" music, I guess.
Most obvious to me is the importance of local businesses -- restaurants, t-shirt shops, coffee shops, all the way to local tech firms helping each other and partnering with each other, and local biz incubators. It's an ecosystem, whereas in ATL it's ALL about corporate employees and strip malls with all the same stores. Moderator cut: arguing with others posters is against the terms of service
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
Considering all your variables, I'd pick ATL. Why? It's cosmopolitan (Austin is not), more diverse, better restaurants, bigger airport with easier travel, more direct (and cheaper!) flights, FAR better shopping, closer to your parents, closer to ocean & mountains, closer to make jaunts to other cities, say NYC for a weekend.
Cosmopolitan doesn't outweigh "people aren't proud to be from Atlanta," as a general rule, to me anyway. Bigger airport is a cluster Moderator cut: let the software catch offensive words and requires hours to walk through, whereas in Austin it's relaxed pace and you can get right to the gate quite quickly. Austin has SA, Houston and Dallas within 3 hours, so there's no lack of big cities nearby.
[/quote]

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-29-2010 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: Unnecessary comments and editing

Old 08-14-2010, 09:59 PM
fil

364 posts, read 1,626,918 times
@DeadInSuburbia
Moderator cut: argumentative comments

Companies support each other there.
You cannot buy Pepsi in most places in Atlanta.
People from Atlanta cherish and fly Delta and Airtran everywhere.
Each business does business with each other there, it's frighteningly incestuous.

Don't forget about Georgia Peaches and Peanuts (thanks Jimmy Carter).

As for airports, you cannot beat DIRECT flights to the world. We almost always had a lay over in Dallas or Houston airport and wasted half the day there. One can fly straight to Paris in 9 hours from Atlanta, NYC in 2.5 hours, and Honolulu in 9 hours, and not lose your bags because it was a direct flight (no worries on plane changes and baggage transfers).

Austin is also a great city and we each have our preferences. I chose to go back to the bigger city and all that it offers for myself and my family.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-29-2010 at 01:41 PM.. Reason: arguing with other posters/members is against the terms of service

Old 08-28-2010, 06:36 AM

144 posts, read 330,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fil View Post
@DeadInSuburbia
Moderator cut: argumentative comments are unnecessary
Lived here 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fil View Post
Companies support each other there.
You cannot buy Pepsi in most places in Atlanta.
People from Atlanta cherish and fly Delta and Airtran everywhere.
Each business does business with each other there, it's frighteningly incestuous.
Austin is also a great city and we each have our preferences. I chose to go back to the bigger city and all that it offers for myself and my family.
Direct flights are nice, but getting out to the concourses is ridiculous. Much prefer the T gates, that's the only part of the airport that works for me.

I've not experienced the loyalty to local companies Moderator cut: argumentative comments are unhelpful and unnecessary

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-29-2010 at 01:40 PM.. Reason: arguing with other posters is against the terms of service

Old 08-28-2010, 11:17 PM
fil

364 posts, read 1,626,918 times
Moderator cut: orphaned comments

I'm in high tech and consistently notice the relationships around town. For example, go to a Braves, Falcons, Thrashers, and Hawks game. Do you see all of the Atlanta business signs for all of the Atlanta companies like Coca Cola, Southern Company, GA Pacific, Delta, Home Depot, Arby's, Equifax, Haverty's, First Data, Cox, Chick-Fil-A, AutoTrader, Weather Channel, etc.?

Most restaurants around town only sell Coke products (for a reason).

In high tech, it's also a small world around town. Each of the small start-ups seem to support and leverage each other. It's nice to see actually.

I've seen this also in Austin to a smaller extent. Heck Keep Austin Weird is all about Austin supporting Austin businesses.

We miss Austin actually, but I'm also very glad to be back home in Atlanta.

Safe travels.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 08-29-2010 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: deleted comments member was referencing - hence, orphaned comments

Old 05-17-2011, 07:06 AM

7 posts, read 13,817 times
The original post did not reflect the current economic situation. The job market, unemployment rates and growth rates all suggest a very simple reality: Austin is at the top of the list, Atlanta somewhere near the bottom. Atlanta may be the "cooler" place to live...if you're willing to settle for low wages and crappy jobs. I'm moving to Austin this fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin