Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 08:56 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, too, just who said that the restaurant scene in Austin, while perfectly wonderful, in my experience, rivaled that of cities many times its size. I hadn't seen that here, myself.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:48 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I would be interested to see who has stated that Austin's restaurant scene is like LA, NY, or SF. My bet is that they haven't lived in or even visited these places. Austin isn't as big of a city as LA, NY, or SF and shouldn't be compared to them in regards to quantity/diversity of anything. It sounds like you need to find your way back to a big city so you can enjoy your life again. Some people are just "big city" people and won't be happy unless they live in a large city, but that doesn't mean that they should ridicule people that aren't.
I moved here and thought "this place is nothing like Geneva Switzerland!!"

People here have been lying to me.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:12 AM

22 posts, read 81,594 times
I literally do not have the time to reply to all you said so but what I will respond with is this - I can respect the fact that your opinions differ from others on the list. What I, and I believe others, found disrespectful was the manner you presented them. Your intolerance to opinions other than your own was/is palpable; i.e. "the complete misrepresentation of the city by its inhabitants." I haven't read every post on this forum but I can tell you that not everyone on this list, but you, is wrong. You make blanket statements about things you do not like not just about Austin, and Texas in general but, from the words you have chosen to use, seem to be offended when your broad opinions are picked apart. To top it off you have lived in Austin less than a year but seem to have appointed yourself as man of the only acceptable opinions of Austin? A little self assured that you alone have the only true opinion of anything Austin? You cannot be surprised you elicited the responses you have!

"Texans think that Texas is a country" made me laugh when I first read it as I've met some of those people. However, to belittle the state by just listing "cowboys, mexicans and ?", well, what do you think the backlash is going to be like? You said nothing about people being proud of their state but you wanted to imply that? Well, it didn't work. Your words were demeaning to the entire state.

As to some of your other statements - "Historic areas? Are you freaking kidding me? Do you honestly believe that hiking, watching football and historic areas are what makes TX great? WOW." No, I didn't say that at all. My comment was in response to "There is nothing else to do." It changes the context of my statement totally.

"Whatever man. You can throw around the "I'm an adult so I'll respect every law because.. bla bla". That's yet another thing about Texas that big city people need to know about - because it will **** them off. The fact is you break laws too - sometimes you know you're doing it, sometimes you don't." Okay, and if they tell me I broke a law then I did. I don't go off ranting about it. When I screw up I deal with it, get over it, and move on. Just because they don't let it slide I should criticize the population of the city? Move on...

"You only think the word retarded is rude because you work in the school system. You have to deal with mentally challenged kids at times, right? Retarded really has taken on a new meaning and is there for effect more than anything else." No, I find the word repulsive because I had a sister with Down's. Your use of the word has negative connotations to every family with a special needs son, daughter, sister, brother, etc. That you feel you can use the word in your own social manner, and cannot understand why other find it ignorant, is a real indicator to your own feeling of self worth. Others human beings should not be demeaned to fit your use of the English language. Many words have taken on new meaning over the years but I still find it socially inept to use them.

"Social etiquette represents a conventional way of communicating, correct? I would hope so. What it does not mean is acting like you have parking meter jammed up your backside (that would "British Etiquette" or "Texas Etiquette"). "

It's safe to assume 95% of all single men want to either: 1) Get laid. 2) Get laid and have kids. Just sharing what I've seen and heard.

Sorry to inform you that my backside is fine. I actually smiled when I read your response initially. I laugh at and even, gasp, tell an off colored joke amongst my friends from time to time. However social etiquette as a whole has such jokes and subjects such as blatant sexual facts/comments told in a more demure way or not at all. I will say this, being blunt and ignoring social etiquette, what sexual being isn't looking for what you describe? My 21 year old son who is a college student in Colorado is looking forward to working at his internship this summer in Austin due to all the "hot" girls in Austin. He would describe the situation much like you have...with his friends, his contemporaries. He would not make the same comments, in those words, to me, his professors, his coaches, his superiors at work, on a public forum, etc.

The only reason I brought up social etiquette is because of this - "Most people that I've come across don't understand basic etiquette. Sorry " Yet your description of the women in the area and the chance of a sexual encounter was lines later. That contradiction was the highlight of your posting!

"What's wrong with that? You end up spending some time with them and by the time you snap out of it you realize you've just spent 45 minutes having borderline retarded conversation. Well, not you - me

"Dur, great day today."
"Yea great day."
"Dur, I love country fried chicken"
"Mmm yes country fried chicken is great. When I was a boy..."
[30 minutes later]
"I agree, why didn't they just run a screen pattern!"
"I know!"
[30 minutes later]
"My cat's breath smells like cat food."
"My dog's is the same way! Except replace cat with dog!""

You've got to stop lifting up rocks to find people to talk to! Okay, both of our sarcasm aside, this is another sweeping generality. I have talked to the same type of people in every state I've lived in and many of the states I've visited. Yes, they're out there but so are the well spoken and even well educated people in each state. It's sad you have decided that people that fit that mold in your mind will never have the chance to educate you as to what Texas is to them. Your limited, and maybe highbrow, attitude will only continue to give you a limited view of any area in which you reside.

And to clear up your preconceived ideas - I am not from Texas nor do I live there. We previously lived in Sagemont, Euless, and San Antonio. We will be moving back to Texas in the next month due to my husband's job. To answer some questions 1.) Yes, I'm an adult, just turned 49. I well know life is complicated and you don't have to tell me to relax. Once you live through losing a child after birth; dealing with your 20 year old daughter having serious brain surgery, watching her rehab to learn to feed and dress herself, learn to walk again, and getting her back to college the next year; teaching smart mouth kids who don't know their mouths from their back side - I have a strong feeling I've lived as much, if not more, life than you. I am flattered to think I actually got under your skin; it was not the purpose of my post.

I have a wide world view; I believe it's you who can't get past what you feel is done to you and that your view of the world is much more limited than mine. I have lived in various states, visited every state in the union, traveled overseas numerous times, have two kids in college, married 25 years to the same man (and yes, he deserves an award), am active in my community, and I do my best to pay attention to what is going on all over the planet. I take the time to listen to what other say, consider where they are coming from, and judge it for myself. The world, this nation, this forum, and today is not about me. If it doesn't go well for me I don't find a way to blame everyone else for what I perceive is wrong. I am one small piece in a puzzle with my single opinion. I will not move mountains. But you want to judge me solely on the fact that I disagree with your generalized, inflammatory statements. I am not the staunch, uptight, b**** you assume I am...I get that all the time from students but that is because they judge solely on the merits of what they think I say. Once they learn to listen, when they learn how to create a dialog instead of argue, it changes. Mind you, it doesn't mean we agree even 50% but it's a conversation and not accusations. It's seeing past the first impression...something you do not seem to have done yet with Austin, Texas, or me. My guess is that you are mid to late 20 year old, educated, probably have a decent to good job, have a wonderful (and probably very attractive) wife, and feel like the world is yours. All of that is great and I hope much of this does hold true for you. This is a great time in your life but your life learning is only beginning.

As to your second question? March 2, 1836 is the date of Texas' independence and it is a state holiday. Sorry, I'm a history teacher. One of those basic facts I've learned along the way.

Young man, I wish you all the best but your negative view is going to cost you some amazing journeys along the way. Once I learned that my opinion wasn't the only one that counted I gained a new appreciation of the world around me. I encourage you to start embracing what is different, maybe even absurd. It will open your eyes to a new world and a new way of thinking - even in Texas.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:32 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,034,816 times
h

Old 04-03-2009, 07:17 PM

11 posts, read 48,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 711mum View Post
I literally do not have the time to reply to all you said so but what I will respond with is this - I can respect the fact that your opinions differ from others on the list. What I, and I believe others, found disrespectful was the manner you presented them. Your intolerance to opinions other than your own was/is palpable; i.e. "the complete misrepresentation of the city by its inhabitants." I haven't read every post on this forum but I can tell you that not everyone on this list, but you, is wrong. You make blanket statements about things you do not like not just about Austin, and Texas in general but, from the words you have chosen to use, seem to be offended when your broad opinions are picked apart. To top it off you have lived in Austin less than a year but seem to have appointed yourself as man of the only acceptable opinions of Austin? A little self assured that you alone have the only true opinion of anything Austin? You cannot be surprised you elicited the responses you have!

"Texans think that Texas is a country" made me laugh when I first read it as I've met some of those people. However, to belittle the state by just listing "cowboys, mexicans and ?", well, what do you think the backlash is going to be like? You said nothing about people being proud of their state but you wanted to imply that? Well, it didn't work. Your words were demeaning to the entire state.

As to some of your other statements - "Historic areas? Are you freaking kidding me? Do you honestly believe that hiking, watching football and historic areas are what makes TX great? WOW." No, I didn't say that at all. My comment was in response to "There is nothing else to do." It changes the context of my statement totally.

"Whatever man. You can throw around the "I'm an adult so I'll respect every law because.. bla bla". That's yet another thing about Texas that big city people need to know about - because it will **** them off. The fact is you break laws too - sometimes you know you're doing it, sometimes you don't." Okay, and if they tell me I broke a law then I did. I don't go off ranting about it. When I screw up I deal with it, get over it, and move on. Just because they don't let it slide I should criticize the population of the city? Move on...

"You only think the word retarded is rude because you work in the school system. You have to deal with mentally challenged kids at times, right? Retarded really has taken on a new meaning and is there for effect more than anything else." No, I find the word repulsive because I had a sister with Down's. Your use of the word has negative connotations to every family with a special needs son, daughter, sister, brother, etc. That you feel you can use the word in your own social manner, and cannot understand why other find it ignorant, is a real indicator to your own feeling of self worth. Others human beings should not be demeaned to fit your use of the English language. Many words have taken on new meaning over the years but I still find it socially inept to use them.

"Social etiquette represents a conventional way of communicating, correct? I would hope so. What it does not mean is acting like you have parking meter jammed up your backside (that would "British Etiquette" or "Texas Etiquette"). "

It's safe to assume 95% of all single men want to either: 1) Get laid. 2) Get laid and have kids. Just sharing what I've seen and heard.

Sorry to inform you that my backside is fine. I actually smiled when I read your response initially. I laugh at and even, gasp, tell an off colored joke amongst my friends from time to time. However social etiquette as a whole has such jokes and subjects such as blatant sexual facts/comments told in a more demure way or not at all. I will say this, being blunt and ignoring social etiquette, what sexual being isn't looking for what you describe? My 21 year old son who is a college student in Colorado is looking forward to working at his internship this summer in Austin due to all the "hot" girls in Austin. He would describe the situation much like you have...with his friends, his contemporaries. He would not make the same comments, in those words, to me, his professors, his coaches, his superiors at work, on a public forum, etc.

The only reason I brought up social etiquette is because of this - "Most people that I've come across don't understand basic etiquette. Sorry " Yet your description of the women in the area and the chance of a sexual encounter was lines later. That contradiction was the highlight of your posting!

"What's wrong with that? You end up spending some time with them and by the time you snap out of it you realize you've just spent 45 minutes having borderline retarded conversation. Well, not you - me

"Dur, great day today."
"Yea great day."
"Dur, I love country fried chicken"
"Mmm yes country fried chicken is great. When I was a boy..."
[30 minutes later]
"I agree, why didn't they just run a screen pattern!"
"I know!"
[30 minutes later]
"My cat's breath smells like cat food."
"My dog's is the same way! Except replace cat with dog!""

You've got to stop lifting up rocks to find people to talk to! Okay, both of our sarcasm aside, this is another sweeping generality. I have talked to the same type of people in every state I've lived in and many of the states I've visited. Yes, they're out there but so are the well spoken and even well educated people in each state. It's sad you have decided that people that fit that mold in your mind will never have the chance to educate you as to what Texas is to them. Your limited, and maybe highbrow, attitude will only continue to give you a limited view of any area in which you reside.

And to clear up your preconceived ideas - I am not from Texas nor do I live there. We previously lived in Sagemont, Euless, and San Antonio. We will be moving back to Texas in the next month due to my husband's job. To answer some questions 1.) Yes, I'm an adult, just turned 49. I well know life is complicated and you don't have to tell me to relax. Once you live through losing a child after birth; dealing with your 20 year old daughter having serious brain surgery, watching her rehab to learn to feed and dress herself, learn to walk again, and getting her back to college the next year; teaching smart mouth kids who don't know their mouths from their back side - I have a strong feeling I've lived as much, if not more, life than you. I am flattered to think I actually got under your skin; it was not the purpose of my post.

I have a wide world view; I believe it's you who can't get past what you feel is done to you and that your view of the world is much more limited than mine. I have lived in various states, visited every state in the union, traveled overseas numerous times, have two kids in college, married 25 years to the same man (and yes, he deserves an award), am active in my community, and I do my best to pay attention to what is going on all over the planet. I take the time to listen to what other say, consider where they are coming from, and judge it for myself. The world, this nation, this forum, and today is not about me. If it doesn't go well for me I don't find a way to blame everyone else for what I perceive is wrong. I am one small piece in a puzzle with my single opinion. I will not move mountains. But you want to judge me solely on the fact that I disagree with your generalized, inflammatory statements. I am not the staunch, uptight, b**** you assume I am...I get that all the time from students but that is because they judge solely on the merits of what they think I say. Once they learn to listen, when they learn how to create a dialog instead of argue, it changes. Mind you, it doesn't mean we agree even 50% but it's a conversation and not accusations. It's seeing past the first impression...something you do not seem to have done yet with Austin, Texas, or me. My guess is that you are mid to late 20 year old, educated, probably have a decent to good job, have a wonderful (and probably very attractive) wife, and feel like the world is yours. All of that is great and I hope much of this does hold true for you. This is a great time in your life but your life learning is only beginning.

As to your second question? March 2, 1836 is the date of Texas' independence and it is a state holiday. Sorry, I'm a history teacher. One of those basic facts I've learned along the way.

Young man, I wish you all the best but your negative view is going to cost you some amazing journeys along the way. Once I learned that my opinion wasn't the only one that counted I gained a new appreciation of the world around me. I encourage you to start embracing what is different, maybe even absurd. It will open your eyes to a new world and a new way of thinking - even in Texas.
It was a rant... strongly worded, yes, but a rant. I should have worded my original post a little more lightly nonetheless.

Cheers to you!

Old 04-04-2009, 05:38 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,649 times
It seems there is a lot of hostility on these different city-data blogs I go to. I guess it's partly different opinions and partly people just venting. I bet when people go blogging they use these forums to blow off steam, relieve stress from work, etc. All I have to say is Texas must be a pretty good state since everybody is moving here. 200 years ago there wasn't anybody here except Indians, Mexicans and a few white people. Now it's number 2 in population behind California. So by looking at this I would have to say that Texans are doing something right. 200 years ago everybody lived in the Northeast. Now a lot of those people have moved to TX and CA. Those people realized that there are greener pastures out there. They just hadn't realized it before. People decide which place is better by where they live. The trend of people moving south and west means that people like the south and west better than the northeast. If Boston and NYC were so great everybody wouldn't be moving south and west. A lot of people don't want to face reality. A lot of people lie about things because they have an underlying agenda. Statistics don't lie. That's just the way it is.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:02 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,374,720 times
I'm trying to get my head wrapped around the idea that having the Yankees makes NYC superior to anywhere...what a vapid thing to write!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:52 PM

3 posts, read 21,167 times
When i first saw this post i laughed uncontrollably, and its mostly because it reminded of a saying ,"People who know anything about something, think they know everything about that something."

1 The food. Austin has the largest restaurant growth per capitia than any other city in the nation. Compared to new york and California. Only California has a competitive chance. We have award winning wineries within 2 hour drives, we have restaurants that also pride their self's on snagging real ingredients picked within the day. I've done a lot of traveling and I've been too new york. Other then that nasty ass box of geese called a pizza, some food is tolerable if you feel like paying an arm and a leg. Other then that I'd pick a local Chicago deep dish mockery any day. Culturally all New york has Italian, steak & gourmet, Asian cuisine. Like bowling for soup said, "The Mexican food sucks north of here anyways." And trust me... The Mexican food in new york is damn joke, I've had high school taco bell employee's make a cheesy bean and rice burrito better than the Mexican restaurants in new york have. Cali on the other hand can compete. They're also much larger too, but when it comes to time efficiency, neither state holds a candle. I can go in sit down in a few minutes maybe longer on a busy night, but rarely an hour. This same result in Cali and new york, haha yeah right...

2. State pride. We have plenty of it and with good reason, yes we were our own country.

LA has smog and fake people.

New York has high terror alert and fear

Texas has The Alamo which has more historical importance than the statue of liberty.
Texas produced some of the most elite soldiers from ww1 till now, look them up. I believe our state has soldiers that hold more medals than any other state. We have celebs, we have real celebs that can actually act and don't require acting retarded every chance they get for publicity. We have some of the best baseball and football athletes for fact.

3.Driving When i first heard this one i laughed hard. Anyone within the united states knows anyone from cali can't drive for crap. I mean honestly the simplest task such as stopping seems impossible for a Californian. New york?!?! Get walking...

4. liberal been explained far to much already.

As for as people acting uptight, my mother works for a call center assisting customers with their accounts as well as many corperate accounts. Some of the friendliest people she meets are those from Florida Georgia and well Texas. Ironically the rudest are from New york & California, at first i was a little hesitant to believe this. Then it reminded me of the puertorican kid from new york in junior high. This kid had the attitude that made him feel his own **** didn't stink, its no wonder he got his ass kicked a whooping 15 times that year. He just had to pop off to everyone. I'm sure we have our own pricks within the state, but seriously the comparison between those 2 states is sad.

5. Nothing to do Wow you moved to a sports state, out doors state, cultural state. Football season is a live here like no other, our high school sporting events are exilerating, and the collegiate levels are far more amazing.

6. People People like that exist everywhere only takes common sense... Wait you're from new york right? That's a super power their I believe. I would also like to apologize on behalf of many Texans for seeming to polite. Coming from Cali-NYC you must be used to the idea Hispanics and Africans are going to rob you at every corner.

7. Expensive Did you really just call Austin expensive, and compared to what? Unless you're a cheap ass, Austin isn't that expensive at all.

8. Allergies You know some people can't live in cities like L.A because the air is intolerable, like wise for new york. And this isn't because of natural occurrences, this is because of the cities pollution issues.

9. Public schooling Texas has highest drop out rates? Sad we do have a high drop out rates, problem is we have a good portion of illegals to blame for that, but the sad part is. Even with that being an issue, New york managed to beat us..

New York wins drop-out rates. Oh yes I'm aware it says Alaska, but read the thread. It was dis proven asap. Gonna blame African Americans for that stat?

Message boards

I honestly think, and feel you missed the new york board or the California board.

Last edited by Chocolate Waffle; 04-06-2009 at 09:02 PM..

Old 04-06-2009, 09:58 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,649 times
Yeah it seems most people that come to Texas like it here. It's not for everybody but most people like it fairly well. I think the best thing about Texas is the cheap cost of living. Texas is at least as good as LA and NYC but a heck of a lot cheaper. So you tell me who's smarter. I'd say Texans are pretty smart. You're getting at least as good quality for a much cheaper price. I guess the Alamo was worth fighting for after all.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:34 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,493 times
Every place has its own charm. I've lived all over, and have loved every place for what it had to offer. I love Austin, CA, Mexico, Europe... But each place is unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin