Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 12:01 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreadingTruth View Post
I moved to Austin with my wife 8 months ago from Los Angeles. I lived in Los Angeles for 1 year and I'm originally from Brooklyn, NY.

Ok, so with out of the way, I signed up to this site to clear up some information for you city people. I'm a little pissed about the false information people are spewing so it's time to drop some knowledge

If you're moving to Austin, here's what you need to know:

WHAT SUCKS

1) The food sucks. Cheeseburgers here are no better than cheeseburgers anywhere. It's a CHEESEBURGER. If you're lucky enough to find some good Cajun food, the place will probably be closed by 10pm anyway. There is little diversity. There are a few gems here or there, but it's nothing close to what you can get in LA, Chicago, NY, Philly, or DC. My best experience with food here was a French restaurant that's $100 per person... and it wasn't as good as a tiny French restaurant in LA.

Often times you will find yourself having to do a lot of research to find a good place to eat... and given the state of the economy I'm guessing you can't spend a ***** ton of money on food. This is not like New York or Los Angeles where you can pick a popular street and find some ecsquisite restaurants. In Pasadena my restaraunt life was constrained to a single zip code... and I didn't even visit half of the places I wanted to.

90% of the stuff you'll find here is restaurant chains: Mexican, Steakhouse, Italian... that's about it. There are some nice places around downtown but nothing special.

Austinites tend to label things as special in Austin when those things aren't that special at all. Don't know why they do that...

2) Texans think that Texas is a country. Have you ever seen someone with the shape of the state they live in tattooed on their body? Have you ever seen someone from LA with a tattoo of the state of California on their body? Me neither, until I moved to Austin. And frankly I can't figure out why.

LA has hollywood, celebs and beautiful sunsets
NY has statue of liberty, the italian mob, the yankees and true diversity
TX has... cowboys, mexicans and...?

3) Drivers in Ausin, Texas are worse than drivers in LA
If you currently live in LA, you will understand how horrible this is I'm not even going to elaborate here because I'd end up writing a whole essay about this.

4) When they say Austin is liberal, they mean it has a bunch of college kids. In other words, most adults over the age of 35 that you see will not be liberal. There are a few social groups here like any city (goth.. really nice ppl btw, musicians, etc) but when you roll it up as a whole... it's Texas. It's the southern region. This is not a golden city in the middle of a swamp if you know what i mean.

Since I'm on the topic if people, I've seen a great deal of uptight people that act like that have a stick up their ass. In fact just last week I was lounging on the outside of a cafe I really enjoy in North Austin and some... person... came up to me, interrupted my conversation and reminded me that I shouldn't smoke with 50ft of the entrance. This cafe literally has 3 tables and people regularly go there to smoke, drink and have interesting conversation. I wish that sob was worth flattening but of course he wasn't. People like only cause you grief no matter how many times you punch them in the face.

I've had atleast 10 instances like the above in the past 8 months. Oh and I still haven't gotten used to everyone saying hi to me.

5) There is nothing else to do besides eating, shooting guns at the range and watching movies. We've exhausted every possible option of doing something interesting. We've headed North/South/East and found nooooooooooooooothing. West is the only option where you will find Fredericksburg. You can only really go there for the food because the quaint little town has been so commercialized that it's nothing but gift shops and restaurants. The food is WORTH IT though!!!

6) There are people here that were born in Texas, lived in Texas their whole lives and will probably die in Texas. They have never been out of the state. Just keep that in mind.

7) It's expensive city. If you're looking to move to *any* non-city environment, you should atleast consider a few others first. This city is damn expensive in comparison to other small cities.

8) ALLERGIES. Many people that move here suffer from Cedar Fever in their first year. It really depends on how well your body handles allergens. Once you get it... you'll know it... and you'll hate it. Google for "Austin allergies" or "Cedar fever" and enjoy the read. Also this page covers it simply:
AroundAustin.Com: Achoo! Austin Allergies (http://www.aroundaustin.com/2004/01/achoo_austin_al.html - broken link)

9) Public Schools Sucks. Basically my theory is that republicans run this state which is why they it's not bankrupt right now. They're good with business but they suck with social programs. The result is one of the largest high school dropout rates in the country, terrible conditions of the public schools, teachers that abuse their students, etc. If you have a kid between the ages of 8 and 16 and you're planning to move here... start looking for a private school or some sort of way to home school your child.

WHAT DOESN'T SUCK

1) If you live out in North Austin, it's very peaceful. The crime rate is very low, rent isn't expensive and it's pretty scenic. North Austin is like 90% white people. If you're wanting to relax a little and do your own thing, this is the place to do it provided you can find yourself a descent job (covered below).

2) If you're a people person and enjoy the energy of others around you I promise that you will find the people here socially retarted and they will bother the hell out of you. Most people that I've come across don't understand basic etiquette. Sorry

HOWEVER (the reason its in the positive section), this also means that you can easily detatch yourself from the general population and enjoy things that you wouldn't normally do on a regular basis, such as do some photography (there's plenty of nature/sites to go around here), have a picnic, read a book, focus on your personal work and ambition for a while, mellow out and don't do much of anything, go horseback riding, go shoot a gun at the range (tons of fun), etc.

3) THERE IS NO INCOME TAX!!! There are some things that are significantly cheaper than other cities. Car insurance will probably be cheaper. The big one is income tax. If you live in a state that enforces its own income tax (ie: california, new york, etc) -- this will be a real pleasure for you. You'll find that some products will be cheaper for you than before (can't remember which, but I do remember saying "oh that's much cheaper than LA or NY"). Ah, gas is one of them. Texas gas is very cheap!

4) If you're a single guy, you will find alooooooooooot of available tang here... but only if you're looking to get married. There are boatloads of single women here. I see them everyday... no rock on their finger... and they're all pretty trendy.

The market for good men in this town is horrible for them. I've been told this on more than one occasion and it doesn't surprise me in the least. Sof if you know what it's like to be a traditionally self respectful man, have a fair amount of money in your pocket and know how to treat a woman -- you could easily find "the one" here. If you just want to get laid, you won't have trouble with that either

5) The job market is still alive. It sucks, but it's better than NY and LA. You'd be able to find something here pretty easy if you are a "motivated self-starter" bla bla bla

6) Austin will make you appreciate the places you lived before.

Good luck.

Ok, now some comments on some of your comments. As a resident of Austin for the past 6 years, I do agree with many of your statements, but let me break them down a little more.

1) The food sucks.

Well I guess that is a matter of opinion. Austin has a lot of chains pretty much all over the place (especially in the burbs). However, there are a lot of smaller local places with every kind of food imaginable. Downtown and central parts of the city are flooded with small mom and pop eateries that you won't find anywhere else. Perhaps you need to look a little harder. As Austin grows, it continues to add more unique types of restaurants and food.

2) Texans think that Texas is a country

Yes, I have often found this quite annoying as well. Texas could have been a country at one time, but it is just a state now. NOT the biggest in size or population, but it may as well be to most Texans. HA HA, Texas has mexicans, cowboys, and don't forget more pickup trucks than any other state in the country. With metro Austin being the epicenter!! I did read a post on another site that attempted to explain why Texans are so proud of their otherwise boring and ugly state. As I pretty seasoned traveller, I can tell you that most people outside the state of Texas have a pretty negative view of the state. It is viewed as backassward, redneck, and gun happy. So, people who live here realize that and try so hard to promote their big "pile o poop" (the state) so they won't remember what others truly think of their state once they go visit elsewhere.

Hmm, is it true?? Hard to say, but it was something I read--I may explain some things though.

3) Drivers in Ausin, Texas are worse than drivers in LA

Absolutely correct! Austin drivers as a whole, are among the worst in the nation for sure. For those of us few, proud people in the Austin area who still actually drive cars, it's even more scarey due to the vast majority of huge SUV's and trucks on the road. The traffic is horrible most all places, (I-35 and Mopac especially) and even when it moves you and constantly scared about being runover by a huge vehicle being driven by someone on a cellphone. Between the quality of drivers, the huge vehicles, and the horrible traffic, Austin is a pretty dangerous place to drive.

4) When they say Austin is liberal, they mean it has a bunch of college kids.

Not totally true. Austin has a fairly large community of liberal minded people that aren't college kids (of course many UT students are as well). I think it should be stated that the liberal parts of austin mostly exist in the central and downtown parts of the city. Probably some areas east of I-35 and a mile or two south of downtown can be considered liberal as well. What most people don't realize is how fast Austin proper becomes conservative and religious. North, northwest and nearly every austin suburb is VERY conservative and religious.

5) There is nothing else to do

I would agree. Austin is a pretty boring city unless you are a college kid who like bar hopping. There are a few things to do, but I think you still need to goto the big cities to find really fun and interesting things going on.

7) It's expensive city.

Yes that is true, but really only in the central and west parts of the city. Most of the burbs around Austin are quite affordable if you dont mind the commute into town.

8) ALLERGIES.

Yes they are very bad here for some. The Cedar trees have a lot to do with it I think.

9) Public Schools Sucks.

Depends where you live. Austin has some bad districts, but good ones as well. Round Rock and Leander are both very good districts.

As a general thought, Austin still has a long way to go to complete with the big boys (Dallas, Houston) on any level. But, that is only a matter of time before things improve.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:12 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
As a general thought, Austin still has a long way to go to complete with the big boys (Dallas, Houston) on any level. But, that is only a matter of time before things improve.
There is a HUGE assumption here, and this is that Austin should be, or wants to be, a replica of Houston or Dallas. Many people live here because they want to live in Texas but DO NOT WANT to live in those cities, specifically BECAUSE it is not one of them but something entirely different.

The other part of that assumption is that turning into Dallas or Houston is an improvement. If you think it is, you should be living in one of those cities. Please. Not everyone thinks "big city" equals "improvement".

One of the biggest gripes is people moving to Austin and then complaining because it's not where they came from or not something other than what it is.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
There is a HUGE assumption here, and this is that Austin should be, or wants to be, a replica of Houston or Dallas. Many people live here because they want to live in Texas but DO NOT WANT to live in those cities, specifically BECAUSE it is not one of them but something entirely different.

The other part of that assumption is that turning into Dallas or Houston is an improvement. If you think it is, you should be living in one of those cities. Please. Not everyone thinks "big city" equals "improvement".

One of the biggest gripes is people moving to Austin and then complaining because it's not where they came from or not something other than what it is.
Well that depends on what you are talking about in particular. If you are referring to the unique charm that is Austin such as the hill country, downtown shops, and the live music scene then you are absolutely correct. Austin should not want to be like anyone else. However, if you are talking about big business, world renowned medical facilities, sufficient infastructure (roads, airport), then of COURSE austin would want to be like the bigger cities.

For a moment, forget about Houston and Dallas. Austin can't hold a candle to San Antonio when it comes to cost of living, infastructure, fun family activities, and overall exciting things to do. Now some things are slowly improving such as shopping, but overall Austin still has a long way to go. It will never have a a fourth of the tourism/convention dollars brought into the city throughout the year like San Antonio.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:48 PM

Let's see, you're trying to move back to Sacramento, correct? So this will not be your problem. Whatever is done will impact those of us who remain.

Sufficient infrastructure is a problem, it's true. Why? Because people flock to Austin for some reason. What's going to happen if we plan ahead and build a lot of infrastructure? Have you ever seen the movie Field of Dreams? "If you build it, they will come." There's got to be a better way than building infrastructure that, because it is built, will necessitate yet more and more and more roads to take care of the more and more and more people that will flock to Austin, destroying the very reason they flocked here, ad infinitum. I don't know what that better way is yet; I just know the predictable consequences of following the "build more roads" philosophy of (non)planning.

As for activities, I noticed that you agreed that there's nothing to do here. Yet, I can list a LOT of varied things that are available in Austin and vicinity, if you get out and look for it. As someone wisely said on one of these threads, no, we don't have a lot of "feed it to me" entertainment in the way of theme parks and such, because the Austin population tends to make its own entertainment, but there's plenty of festivals and restaurants and live music of a variety of kinds and, yes, family activities that goes on here, both individual and group, for those who don't want to be spoonfed their entertainment. That's part of what makes Austin, Austin - the citizens are active participants in their own entertainment and their own community. And as for tourism dollars - Austin doesn't exist for the tourists, but for its own citizens. What a novel concept!

Old 04-09-2009, 12:49 PM

1,035 posts, read 4,464,669 times
Quote:
2) Texans think that Texas is a country

Yes, I have often found this quite annoying as well. Texas could have been a country at one time, but it is just a state now. NOT the biggest in size or population, but it may as well be to most Texans. HA HA, Texas has mexicans, cowboys, and don't forget more pickup trucks than any other state in the country. With metro Austin being the epicenter!! I did read a post on another site that attempted to explain why Texans are so proud of their otherwise boring and ugly state. As I pretty seasoned traveller, I can tell you that most people outside the state of Texas have a pretty negative view of the state. It is viewed as backassward, redneck, and gun happy. So, people who live here realize that and try so hard to promote their big "pile o poop" (the state) so they won't remember what others truly think of their state once they go visit elsewhere.

Hmm, is it true?? Hard to say, but it was something I read--I may explain some things though.
??? Actually, its kind of silly to think that an entire culture of Texas pride started because others have a negative view us.

You also said that Texas "could have been a country at one time." Texas WAS a country. Both my husband and I have relatives that immigrated from Europe through Galveston. Our ancestors were Texans before they were Americans.

I think our pride comes from ties to an interesting, rich history. We don't think we're better. We just like who we are and where we came from. What could possibly be wrong with that?

Last edited by texastea; 04-09-2009 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: to fix quote

Old 04-09-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastea View Post
I think our pride comes from ties to an interesting, rich history. We don't think we're better. We just like who we are and where we came from. What could possibly be wrong with that?
Yeah, this one has always confused me, too. It's not that we think that other states are lesser, but that we're proud of our own. Aren't these people who have such issues with Texas pride proud of their own states? If not, why not?

Plus, yeah, that whole thing about building a culture because of some ignorant stereotypes is puzzling, as well.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:16 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
I just love Southwestern/Western US History!

I wonder, how voluntary was the Texas Annexation?
Texas Annexation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This map shows the seperatist movements in Mexico during 1835-1846. It shows the Texas Republic as well as most of Alta California, Mexico (modern day CA, Nevada, Arizona, and parts of New Mexico).

Old 04-09-2009, 02:25 PM

I actually like Texas pride. In California, people love the state, but you'd never see a person flying a CA flag outside. In fact, you'll only see them at government buildings, schools, etc. It's nice in these days that people have pride at all. It's what bonds people together by a common thread, and it's refreshing for a change. I like the sense of community I've witnessed in my short time here, and my preconceived ideas about the state are changing. I'm not going to bad-talk my home state (CA), but come on people, there are other places to live and each has it's own charm, pros/cons. Just because something's not a good fit for you, doesn't mean it sucks. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, you know?! I think a happy person can find peace anywhere. And to live near debt free is a HUGE priority for me, thus I'm living WITHIN MY MEANS here in Austin. I simply couldn't do that in CA. Well, not in an equivalently nice/safe area, that is. That's not to say there aren't a ton of people who have money there who weren't in my particular situation, but most people I knew & worked with who were my age (37 & middle/upper-middle class) were up to their eyeballs in debt and little or negative equity in their homes - if they owned at all. That's not the case in my current neighborhood. That leaves time for the good stuff, like community and pride! Go Texas!

Old 04-09-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Let's see, you're trying to move back to Sacramento, correct? So this will not be your problem. Whatever is done will impact those of us who remain.

Sufficient infrastructure is a problem, it's true. Why? Because people flock to Austin for some reason. What's going to happen if we plan ahead and build a lot of infrastructure? Have you ever seen the movie Field of Dreams? "If you build it, they will come." There's got to be a better way than building infrastructure that, because it is built, will necessitate yet more and more and more roads to take care of the more and more and more people that will flock to Austin, destroying the very reason they flocked here, ad infinitum. I don't know what that better way is yet; I just know the predictable consequences of following the "build more roads" philosophy of (non)planning.

As for activities, I noticed that you agreed that there's nothing to do here. Yet, I can list a LOT of varied things that are available in Austin and vicinity, if you get out and look for it. As someone wisely said on one of these threads, no, we don't have a lot of "feed it to me" entertainment in the way of theme parks and such, because the Austin population tends to make its own entertainment, but there's plenty of festivals and restaurants and live music of a variety of kinds and, yes, family activities that goes on here, both individual and group, for those who don't want to be spoonfed their entertainment. That's part of what makes Austin, Austin - the citizens are active participants in their own entertainment and their own community. And as for tourism dollars - Austin doesn't exist for the tourists, but for its own citizens. What a novel concept!
Well Sacramento=no jobs and poor quality of life, so im staying here for a while with my family. Austin has always had a horrible infastructure. Most of the roads in the city are tiny 2 and 4 lane roads that clog with massive traffic almost everyday. The early planning was really poor. AND, even with the exploding population, there is virtually NO expansion being done. Austin will continue to grow to a point, but if the quality of life continues to go down because people do nothing but sit in traffic, then there is a problem. As you say, they may still come if you build it, but eventually they will stop. It is unfortunate that the city of austin department has such a horrible attitude toward development.

I could go on and on about Austin's feeble attempts to be a "big city", but you probably don't wanna hear it.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Well Sacramento=no jobs and poor quality of life, so im staying here for a while with my family. Austin has always had a horrible infastructure. Most of the roads in the city are tiny 2 and 4 lane roads that clog with massive traffic almost everyday. The early planning was really poor. AND, even with the exploding population, there is virtually NO expansion being done. Austin will continue to grow to a point, but if the quality of life continues to go down because people do nothing but sit in traffic, then there is a problem. As you say, they may still come if you build it, but eventually they will stop. It is unfortunate that the city of austin department has such a horrible attitude toward development.

I could go on and on about Austin's feeble attempts to be a "big city", but you probably don't wanna hear it.
I'm curious, how long have you been away from Sac? If you're complaining about Austin traffic, you should visit and do a few test runs commuting back home to adjust your perceptions. I laugh when I hear people gasp that I drive 21 miles door to door to work every day!

My commute looks like this: 21 miles
I leave Hutto between 6:45-7am and get to Congress by 7:15-7:30pm. I leave Congress at 4:39-4:45 and get home by 5-5:15pm. I really can't complain! You can't make that kind of time in the capital city of CA or any other major CA city. Even with your infrastructurally sound 10-lane superhighways and carpool lanes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin