Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 02:38 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Well Sacramento=no jobs and poor quality of life, so im staying here for a while with my family. Austin has always had a horrible infastructure. Most of the roads in the city are tiny 2 and 4 lane roads that clog with massive traffic almost everyday. The early planning was really poor. AND, even with the exploding population, there is virtually NO expansion being done. Austin will continue to grow to a point, but if the quality of life continues to go down because people do nothing but sit in traffic, then there is a problem. As you say, they may still come if you build it, but eventually they will stop. It is unfortunate that the city of austin department has such a horrible attitude toward development.

I could go on and on about Austin's feeble attempts to be a "big city", but you probably don't wanna hear it.
Same reason they won't build city-wide bike trails or bike lanes......they would rather ignore the growth, and just let people steam bumper to bumper......

As I said, if enough word DID get out that Austin is really an extremely congested city with few public amenities, city OR burbs, growth WOULD eventually stop....you get what you pay for.....the metro wants to spend nil to nothing on road infrastructure, city services, parks, libraries, and most other things that are considered just basic, let alone extra special quality-of-life issues in a "special" metro......

Somehow it seems like they expect all the cool outdoor bars and restaurants to make up for the lack of all those things.......those are all extras.......the missing elements are the basic part of the structure...all the rest is just window dressing/icing.......

The more congested the metro gets, the more what I mentioned will be brought to the forefront, and have an impact on future growth eventually.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:44 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Well Sacramento=no jobs and poor quality of life, so im staying here for a while with my family. Austin has always had a horrible infastructure. Most of the roads in the city are tiny 2 and 4 lane roads that clog with massive traffic almost everyday. The early planning was really poor. AND, even with the exploding population, there is virtually NO expansion being done. Austin will continue to grow to a point, but if the quality of life continues to go down because people do nothing but sit in traffic, then there is a problem. As you say, they may still come if you build it, but eventually they will stop. It is unfortunate that the city of austin department has such a horrible attitude toward development.
You really should try Dallas or Houston. Austin is not a good place if jobs and economy is your primary focus. Plus one of those other cities will have that great road infrastructure/car culture that you are looking for, but without the unemployment and crime problems that plague Sacramento.

Quote:
I could go on and on about Austin's feeble attempts to be a "big city", but you probably don't wanna hear it.
You're not making any sense. The road planning (or lack thereof) is a direct result of Austin's attempts to AVOID being a "big city". Everyone agrees on that part. Whether it has worked or not is debatable. But you lose all credibility (as far as understanding Austin) with a statement like that.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:13 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
You really should try Dallas or Houston. Austin is not a good place if jobs and economy is your primary focus. Plus one of those other cities will have that great road infrastructure/car culture that you are looking for, but without the unemployment and crime problems that plague Sacramento.

You're not making any sense. The road planning (or lack thereof) is a direct result of Austin's attempts to AVOID being a "big city". Everyone agrees on that part. Whether it has worked or not is debatable. But you lose all credibility (as far as understanding Austin) with a statement like that.
Austin ranks 16th in population in the US.....I think that would be a big city in anyone's book....

Old 04-09-2009, 06:08 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
It is ironic to me that the OP's username is spreadingtruth. Really - much of what he rants about is that Austin just isn't like the LA he loves. Oh well, bad for him.

I don't know who the OP speaks of when he says the inhabitants of Austin are lying. Most of my friends here were not born here and moved here from somewhere else. I don't think they ever claim our restaurants rival LA, or NYC. They DO claim to enjoy life here.

I just want to comment on one issue I know a fair amount about: public schools. They vary a lot in most cities in Texas. That's the way it is - because of the ISD (Independent School District) way schools are aligned and funded. But they aren't consistently crappy like they are in many states. National ratings of schools show California to be significantly below Texas. Drop out rate is hardly the end all way to judge school quality. Blaming drop outs solely on the schools is simply unfair and ignores the other issues that cause drop outs. I'm rather happy with the schools in Lake Travis ISD - where my three kids started their public schooling many years ago.

Yes football is too big. But we fund arts, science, agriculture, other sports, and other specialties nicely too.

As for things to do - since eating at hip and cool places, going to world class museums, or pro sports aren't at the top of my list - Austin has plenty for me. I'm actually glad we don't have pro sports. Then we won't get hit to fund a stadium or two for a sport with tickets too expensive to actually see. I don't care about "celebs" in the least - jeez what a shallow thing to value. I'm happy to see a celeb on a music stage or in a great venue like the Backyard or One World Theatre.

I have no idea how the OP can say Austin is expensive - at least not on a national scale. I like my two acres a lot and am quite sure I couldn't live on a lake like Lake Travis in California unless I was an early investor in Google.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:12 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,869 times
Yes I completely agree with you. The city council is among the worst in the nation and they completely ignore the growth of this city. I can't seem to figure out which city council member has an IQ greater than 10. Whats very interesting is that what people consider to be unique in Austin, both Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio could beat hands down. But before I get into those things, with the exception of the new toll roads, the road system in austin is simply archaic. I fully believe the road system in Waco is more advanced. Here are some oddities that Austin "claims".

1.) To be a green city and use more natural resources
!

This from a city who has residents with more registered gas guzzling trucks and SUV's than any other comparable city in the nation. Not to mention the CAPITOL of the state that emits more carbon pollutants into the air than both Pennsylvania and California COMBINED with NO PLANS to change it. Yes, that is NOT a typo. Yes, thats a place concerned with the environment.

2.) Live music capital of the world

I would bet that Dallas, Houston, and yes even San Antonio has more music venues than Austin could ever dream of. True, these are all bigger cities, but the fact remains that Austin likely comes in 4th with actual number of bars and nightclubs.

3.) Very bicycle friendly city.

I find this laughable. The city refuses to build any bike lanes or any bike trails worth a crap within the city limits. Im guessing that Austin proper likely has less than 6 miles of actual bike trails. Um lets see, Sacramento has 95 miles of trails, Portland OR 155, and Denver around 105. THat BIKE trails ONLY. All progressive cities who go out of the way to make sure that we encorage bike riding to cut down on pollution. I cant tell you how many die hard bike riders in this town are FORCED onto the dangerous 360 shoulder because they are forced to because they have no other choice.

4.) Austin is a very laid back and HIP town.

I also find this rather amusing. This is because it has a large college population? So I guess Madison, WI would also fall under this catagory?? They too have a large university! And Austin is laid back because it has a lot of artists and musicians who will mostly never amount to anything?? This is unique?? People who really want to make it big DON'T come to Austin. They goto Chicago, Dallas, New York or L.A.

5.) Austin is a beautiful city

Well I guess that depends on what you are comparing it to. Compared to Michigan I guess you could say Austin is a pretty place. I think it all depends on what you have to work with. Texas as a whole is SO visually unappealing and overall ugly, I guess when you have some hills on the westside of town with tall bushes (some people call them trees) people get all excited. The HILL COUNTRY, THE HILL COUNTRY!!! OMG!!! I have news for you people. I lived in Kansas City for several years of my life and it is hillier than most of austin. Tulsa is hillier, Nashville is hillier!! It's just amazing that people get all excited about something that would be considered so SUBPAR to most any other place outside TX.

6.) Building tall skyscrapers for an appearance of a larger city

Once again, Austin is going in the wrong direction. Why are we focusing on moving all of the rich people downtown and pushing the middle class further out into the faceless burbs?? Put the money into helping people WORK in the city, don't try to drive them out further while rolling out the red carpet for the rich. Tall skyscrapers that are ONLY residential aren't gonna fool anyone. Austin hasn't built an actual OFFICE skyscraper since Frost (2004). To my knowledge there are no plans to build anything but more condos. What a joke. Try spreading the wealth around a little. Sheeesh. But you can thank the idiot city council once again for approving all these rediculous shotty Houston and Dallas imitators. They are spending hundreds of millions to build these things. Ever thought of trying to improve the road system and actually help MIDDLE income people? Actually get them out of traffic and improve their lives?? The Austin city council doesnt give a damn about anyone but the rich. Pretty sad.

You know I respect that people like it here which is fine. But the city of Austin needs to get it's head outta it's ass if it wants to continue to attract businesses that matter. And for those who think Austin, ISNT trying to be Dallas, its too late. Have you been to Cedar Park, Round Rock, Leander?? Georgetown. SPRAWL SPRAWL--No freeway expansion, no HOV lanes, no traffic flow message signs, and please don't even get me started on the kiddie Cap Metro "light rail". The media forgot to tell you the city council voted to allow 1st graders to operate the trains.

All I can say is enjoy your treeless cookie cutter homes 5 feet from your neighbor in Hutto and Round Rock. Hmmm, treeless cookie cutter homes in Katy and Brookshire,,,hmmm, cookie cutter homes in Frisco and Allen.....hmm, i'm seeing a pattern here, but I KNOW that metro Austin doesn't wanna be like Dallas or Houston. YEAH!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecut View Post
Same reason they won't build city-wide bike trails or bike lanes......they would rather ignore the growth, and just let people steam bumper to bumper......

As I said, if enough word DID get out that Austin is really an extremely congested city with few public amenities, city OR burbs, growth WOULD eventually stop....you get what you pay for.....the metro wants to spend nil to nothing on road infrastructure, city services, parks, libraries, and most other things that are considered just basic, let alone extra special quality-of-life issues in a "special" metro......

Somehow it seems like they expect all the cool outdoor bars and restaurants to make up for the lack of all those things.......those are all extras.......the missing elements are the basic part of the structure...all the rest is just window dressing/icing.......

The more congested the metro gets, the more what I mentioned will be brought to the forefront, and have an impact on future growth eventually.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:35 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,942 times
The suburbs of Austin are so far from being like Frisco or Allen. Have you ever even been there? People on this board need to do their research better. We are FAR from being Dallas.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:39 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
The suburbs of Austin are so far from being like Frisco or Allen. Have you ever even been there? People on this board need to do their research better. We are FAR from being Dallas.
Eepstein's credibility is completely shot, he/she clearly doesn't know anything about Austin. Skyscrapers built for the appearance of a big city? Equating Austin to what goes on at the Capitol (everyone with ANY knowledge know that the Texas state govt and the City of Austin are at COMPLETE odds with each other)? Heck, even the part about Michigan -- anyone who has been there knows the UP is beautiful. This poster has no clue....

Or, could it be inthecut playing with us? If so, bravo my friend.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:17 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Hutto doesn't have as many trees as some places around Austin because it was primarily a farming community. What farmers did you ever know who planted crops in the middle of a forest? And besides, have you ever gotten off of 79 through Hutto? Traveled any of the back roads? Seen the trees and huge ranch houses sitting on 50, 100 or more acres? Naw, guess not.

I do completely agree about downtown though. If you want to OWN a place it's next to impossible if you aren't pretty darned wealthy. So it's very easy to complain about people living in Suburbs but if it's not affordable to OWN there, I'd rather not because I don't want to be relegated to renting.

Round Rock, Leander and Georgetown are not "sprawl". They are small towns, in their own right, that people who either don't want to live downtown, can't afford to live downtown, or who are native and grew up in these small towns and decided to stay...choose to move to. Seems to me that these places aren't so much sprawling towards Austin as Austin is sprawling out towards them.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:55 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Eepstein's credibility is completely shot, he/she clearly doesn't know anything about Austin. Skyscrapers built for the appearance of a big city? Equating Austin to what goes on at the Capitol (everyone with ANY knowledge know that the Texas state govt and the City of Austin are at COMPLETE odds with each other)? Heck, even the part about Michigan -- anyone who has been there knows the UP is beautiful. This poster has no clue....

Or, could it be inthecut playing with us? If so, bravo my friend.
Wow I can't believe it. You've been to the UP? I lived in the UP for 3 years. Yeah the scenery in the UP is pretty good. The Great Lakes are cool.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:01 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Let's see, you're trying to move back to Sacramento, correct? So this will not be your problem. Whatever is done will impact those of us who remain.

Sufficient infrastructure is a problem, it's true. Why? Because people flock to Austin for some reason. What's going to happen if we plan ahead and build a lot of infrastructure? Have you ever seen the movie Field of Dreams? "If you build it, they will come." There's got to be a better way than building infrastructure that, because it is built, will necessitate yet more and more and more roads to take care of the more and more and more people that will flock to Austin, destroying the very reason they flocked here, ad infinitum. I don't know what that better way is yet; I just know the predictable consequences of following the "build more roads" philosophy of (non)planning.

As for activities, I noticed that you agreed that there's nothing to do here. Yet, I can list a LOT of varied things that are available in Austin and vicinity, if you get out and look for it. As someone wisely said on one of these threads, no, we don't have a lot of "feed it to me" entertainment in the way of theme parks and such, because the Austin population tends to make its own entertainment, but there's plenty of festivals and restaurants and live music of a variety of kinds and, yes, family activities that goes on here, both individual and group, for those who don't want to be spoonfed their entertainment. That's part of what makes Austin, Austin - the citizens are active participants in their own entertainment and their own community. And as for tourism dollars - Austin doesn't exist for the tourists, but for its own citizens. What a novel concept!
Yeah I live in Houston and there isn't anything for tourists to do here either. Houston is a pretty good city to live in but there isn't anything for tourists here. About the only tourist things around here are Kemah and Galveston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin