Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 12:41 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

surferdude--I live in DFW area -- have friends who moved to this area more than 20 years ago and put in vinyl liner pool--large, rectangular--no spa...they had problems with it coming out of the ground when there was large amount of rain--water would get into area between gound and liner and push liner up--there was also a pretty significant tear when the pool was about 10 years old that was expensive to repair--
they finally sold home because pool was becoming maintenance problem--bought new home and had gunite pool constructed
they would never go back to having a viny--in ground pool...thhey are less expensive to construct but there are definite problems with on=going use/maintenance not found with gunite pools...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 13,997 times
Unhappy Fiberglass Pools

We've been in the process of looking for a pool builder. Recently I heard that Premier Fiberglass Pools has just gone out of business so they're off our list. On the flip side, I've heard very good things about Summit Pools in Round Rock. They guarantee your project will be completed in 29 days or less. We have been impressed with their professionalism.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:42 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,626,918 times
Wow, weird.
Someone deleted my friend's pool that was built.

It wasn't my house, so I wasn't marketing it. Oh well, zero edge and Inifinity Horizon Pools are awesome if you can afford it.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:44 AM

445 posts, read 1,809,632 times
Just a little advice on pool building thats what i do,along with concrete and general building. A fast pool lets say in 29 days doesnt mean you are getting a good job from a structural stand point. I wounldnt build you a pool in 30 days From a building standpoint when it comes to shotcrete or gunite you want the shell of the pool to cure at a slow rate. Once the gunite is done I would peronally wet it for 15 days and not pour cantilever or tile or decking for a minimum of another 8 days so thats 23 of your 30 already gone . You might as well plan on 2 days to dig 1 day for steel and 2-3 days for plumbing and electrical and 3 days around that for inspections 1 day to tile 1 day for guniteand 6 days for completion from there on out,cantilever, concrete decking ,plastering,mastic joint,construction clean up,final inspection etc. With that being said you would be ata around 40 days and im sure alot of pool builders will tell you 30 with a guarantee but from a building standpoint not always the best product. Concrete takes 28 days to fully cure so 15 is a modest number of days to wait. This in terms can be looked at on another front if i said i will build you a house in 3mos,which can be done,wouldnt you kinda question the structural side and quality side of the house? good luck with your pool

Old 10-01-2007, 08:28 PM

1,618 posts, read 6,614,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Salt water pools are a popular topic. There is a thread in the Dallas forum related to them:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...pools-why.html
SWG is the way to go! I did it and would not ever turn back!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
surferdude--I live in DFW area -- have friends who moved to this area more than 20 years ago and put in vinyl liner pool--large, rectangular--no spa...they had problems with it coming out of the ground when there was large amount of rain--water would get into area between gound and liner and push liner up--there was also a pretty significant tear when the pool was about 10 years old that was expensive to repair--
they finally sold home because pool was becoming maintenance problem--bought new home and had gunite pool constructed
they would never go back to having a viny--in ground pool...thhey are less expensive to construct but there are definite problems with on=going use/maintenance not found with gunite pools...

Liner dont pop out. That is fiberglass that, that crap happens to...

Old 10-01-2007, 08:35 PM

I think everyone in Texas needs to own a pool

Mine was little over 50K, w/ over 1200sq ft of concrete around the pool.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hifi_homeboy/P1000725.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hifi_homeboy/POOL/IMG_2928.jpg (broken link)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v326/hifi_homeboy/POOL/IMG_2923.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-24-2008, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,763 times
I've heard great things about PoolWorks Texas based in Austin. You can find their site at: poolworkstexas.com

Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Not sure back then how liner pools were done, but liners last about 10-15 yrs and that’s if you maintain your water properly. IMHO, liner is the way to go. To replace a new liner is cost about 1500.00, to replaster a gunite pool... might as well buy a new pool, lol!

I'd never go gunite unless you want structure or your own design. As for bubbling out, I think that fiberglass pools, not liner pools. I have steel walls and pool Crete as the foundation.

Easy to maintain and I guarantee you that you will spend $hit load more money on a gunite pool and the up-keep. IRONS, metals, algae and rust are concerns in gunite. If you have tile these intend to pop out and also your gunite can crack!

My pool all year long stays crystal clear and my pool rover runs twice a week. I hardly ever and I mean ever have to pull out my brush to scrub. Gunite... it might as well be your best friend around gunite. Algae is sick and love gunite.

Sorry, but gunite is too much to build and maintenance is majority of the time troublesome!

Old 03-19-2008, 10:50 AM

6 posts, read 125,649 times
Cool Premier Fiberglass

Premier Fiberglass is not out of business. They appear to be the main stay builder of fiberglass pools in Austin. Just curious Fastfrogs where did you hear this information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin