Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 02:04 PM

15 posts, read 105,622 times

Advertisements

I'd like to buy a quality wood shed for our home before we move in but I don't know of any local companies/builders in the Austin area. I've looked into the Home Depot/Lowes deals but they seem awfully expensive. Anyone have any advice? I'm looking for someone that has some experience as I want the shed to match the color/trim of our home. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 02:11 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,099 times
I'll be interested in the responses you get because I am planning on doing the same thing.

Are you in an HOA and if so, do they have restrictions on the construction of outbuildings?

Old 02-16-2009, 03:27 PM

15 posts, read 105,622 times
Sorry, no restrictions for us... I am about to move to a neighborhood in West Austin that does not have an HOA. That said, I'm still going to have a high-quality shed (in looks and construction) that my neighbors will be pleased with.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:47 AM

593 posts, read 1,377,794 times
There is a Menonite getleman who builds excellent sheds and out buildings. His shop is located between Austin and Bastrop on 71. I can't remember his name or name of his business but he made a couple of buildings for my mom and they were very nice and have lasted many years. If I can find out, I'll post it soon.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:53 PM

658 posts, read 2,006,001 times
There may be restrictions. We live in a non HOA neighborhood but we still have a "Neighborhood Assocation" and we have size restrictions on sheds. There are "deed restrictions" we have to follow, we just don't have dues we have to pay.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:31 PM

46 posts, read 176,838 times
Having a shed built custom will cost you more than the ones at Home Depot/Lowes. Labor is what will get you. HD and Lowes win on pricing. If you want it to match your house (shingles, etc.), you will have to spend the money on someone doing it for you. Custom shed builders have the advantage here.

The easy answer is to build it yourself (if you have some background in DIY projects). It's not too hard if you are hands on person and have a good back ground of working with power tools. Books and other references are great resources. There is a book called "Black and Decker: The Complete Guide to Contemporary Sheds" that you can get which shows you detailed step-by-step instruction. I'm sure other books are just as good. This will only way you will get low price and a custom shed that matches your home. Of course when I say "low price", I am not including the labor that YOU will actually put into it. This is where you save. I am only including material costs (which is also listed out for you in those books).

You can find everything you need at Home Depot or Lowes.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,110 times
Thumbs up Hoping this is not too late

Please take a look at our website www. aplaceforyourstuff.com we have over 2 acres of quality pressure treated wood, painted and metal buildings. We have served the Bastrop County community for over 6 years. We are the biggest dealer in TX of Derksen portable buildings.

Our website has lots of pictures, upfront pricing and lots of info. Having been a Realtor for many years in Bastrop I am familiar with many of the deed restrictions and HOA requirments as well.

Feel free to call me with any questions. 512-237-2275

BBB - A rated

best quality and best pricing.

Thanks,

Chris Winter
owner - A place for your stuff - Smithville, TX

Last edited by Winterteam; 03-09-2012 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: url

Old 03-09-2012, 02:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
There may be restrictions. We live in a non HOA neighborhood but we still have a "Neighborhood Assocation" and we have size restrictions on sheds. There are "deed restrictions" we have to follow, we just don't have dues we have to pay.
There are also building codes and zoning ordinance requirements in many areas (size limits & minimum setbacks from property lines), as well as restrictions on building in utility easements that must be observed.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:10 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,848,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
There are also building codes and zoning ordinance requirements in many areas (size limits & minimum setbacks from property lines), as well as restrictions on building in utility easements that must be observed.
This thread is from 3 years ago. It was revived b/c someone was trying to sale their services to the OP. The OP himself has long since moved to Atlanta and has not posted in over a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin