Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:37 PM

112 posts, read 432,451 times

Advertisements

I went to Austin for the first time last weekend. One thing I notice is that the people in Austin are so much different from Houstonians! And we're only 3 hours apart. The people in Austin are so much more friendlier, open minded. Reminded me of people in New Haven, Yale Campus and NYC.

Beautiful how the city isn't all flat like Houston too. I was amazed at how different it was.

Why is that? Can somebody explain? Is it because of UT Austin that attracts many people from all over the country that makes it more diverse than Houston? I'm not sure what it is.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:52 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Having previously lived in Houston, I disagree. I find people in Houston just as friendly. Maybe you were running into grouchy transplants. Houston is more diverse than Austin and it has lots of Universities as well. You probably ran into people who aren't used to the heat and humidity yet either Sorry, but I have a problem downing Houston because I did really like living there as well and met some of my best friends there.

I will say that maybe you find people more open here because it's more outdoor based than Houston. More hikers, runners and bikers. Houston has UofH, Rice, Rice Military, St. Thomas among others so I doubt it's because of the Universities.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:26 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Default Right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Having previously lived in Houston, I disagree. I find people in Houston just as friendly. Maybe you were running into grouchy transplants. Houston is more diverse than Austin and it has lots of Universities as well. You probably ran into people who aren't used to the heat and humidity yet either Sorry, but I have a problem downing Houston because I did really like living there as well and met some of my best friends there.

I will say that maybe you find people more open here because it's more outdoor based than Houston. More hikers, runners and bikers. Houston has UofH, Rice, Rice Military, St. Thomas among others so I doubt it's because of the Universities.
I also disagree 100%. I have lived all of my life in Houston except for a painful 1.5 years in Austin last year. So happy to be back in H-town! I also find Houston folks to be extremely friendly. Everywhere I go I am kindly spoken to or joked with or smiled at with a friendly hello. Not to mention that I am a very friendly soul and love talking with people and find it easier to strike up a conversation in Houston then it was in Austin. I think that people are more friendly here in Houston due to the diversity of the city which conjures up curiosity in us and creates a desire to talk and learn about things. Houston is a fun, exciting, cosmopolitan, progressive, entertaining friendly city with lots to talk about!

Old 02-18-2009, 12:55 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
Bah, neither city is more friendly than the other.....just some people fit in with one better than the other, or vice versa .

Old 02-18-2009, 01:04 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times
Default Nice of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Bah, neither city is more friendly than the other.....just some people fit in with one better than the other, or vice versa .
Thanks that is nice of you to put the brakes on what might come from these posts!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:53 PM

112 posts, read 432,451 times
Totally disagree. Houstonians in general aren't very open or friendly at all. I've traveled a great deal all my life and know how friendly and open minded people are.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:58 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisby View Post
I went to Austin for the first time last weekend. One thing I notice is that the people in Austin are so much different from Houstonians! And we're only 3 hours apart. The people in Austin are so much more friendlier, open minded. Reminded me of people in New Haven, Yale Campus and NYC.

Beautiful how the city isn't all flat like Houston too. I was amazed at how different it was.

Why is that? Can somebody explain? Is it because of UT Austin that attracts many people from all over the country that makes it more diverse than Houston? I'm not sure what it is.
I get the impression you don't get around much. Austin looks different because it is in a different part of the state. Notice while it does have hills on the west side, it does not have the tall pines or nearby coast like Houston. They are two different places with their own assets.
Houston has a great international airport that will take you directly almost anywhere in the world. You should try it.

Anyway, I've lived in both Austin and Houston, and I disagree with you on the friendliness/openess comment. I never noticed that at all. I think both cities are friendly. And I don't know how you can generalize attitude to a metro of 5 million or however many it is, seems rather narrow-minded of you.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:59 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parisby View Post
Totally disagree. Houstonians in general aren't very open or friendly at all. I've traveled a great deal all my life and know how friendly and open minded people are.
Well, the others don't agree with you and have explained that they have actually lived in both cities, unlike yourself. Are you just here to pick a fight?

But, whatever. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion I suppose...

Old 02-18-2009, 02:00 PM

322 posts, read 748,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldupuy View Post
Thanks that is nice of you to put the brakes on what might come from these posts!
This is funny to hear you say that. I remember a post by you saying how bad 'Austin SUKS' and continued to belittled us Austinites.

Old 02-18-2009, 02:04 PM

322 posts, read 748,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I get the impression you don't get around much. Austin looks different because it is in a different part of the state. Notice while it does have hills on the west side, it does not have the tall pines or nearby coast like Houston. They are two different places with their own assets.
Houston has a great international airport that will take you directly almost anywhere in the world. You should try it.

Anyway, I've lived in both Austin and Houston, and I disagree with you on the friendliness/openess comment. I never noticed that at all. I think both cities are friendly. And I don't know how you can generalize attitude to a metro of 5 million or however many it is, seems rather narrow-minded of you.
Austin has nearby pines. As close as Houston is to the ocean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: