Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 12:04 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times

Advertisements

I don't know if it's just bad luck or what, but I've had several friends and one family member who were jumped and/or mugged in downtown Austin at night while just going on about their business bar-hopping and such. A few ended up in the hospital from it. The medical staff told them it's been happening more frequently and that it's likely gang-related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 12:12 PM

16 posts, read 126,969 times
Default Gangs!

There may be activity there. Low income families move into the areas they can afford and builders build cheap housing inventory in Round Rock. So-yes! Is it a danger-probably not. Gang activity is linked to Latinos, not all Latinos but there is no history of other races involved in the Austin metro area. Austin has over a 50 Plus-percent hispanic population and about 10-percent black and 5-percent Asian.

Old 01-26-2010, 12:44 PM

16 posts, read 126,969 times
Default I am not surprised.

I live next to downtown/Clarksville and yes, the main streets of downtown on the typical "party" nights/Friday and Saturday can be like that. I think people who live downtown know where to go and what nights to avoid. My fiance, who is an executive was doing business entertaining and was beaten down by an Austin Police Officer at SpeakEasy just for not handling a conversation with a bartender correctly. They were taken to headquarters and the business associate took the plea. My fiance did not and had to go through the Austin court process to prove the officers were at fault. He won his innocence but would have to hire a separate attorney to seek a civil award from the dept. This is not off subject-everyone is on edge downtown on crowded nights. All kinds of people are out on the streets-it is more dangerous than people think and yes-Austin does have a sinister side.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:09 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeyes View Post
I live next to downtown/Clarksville and yes, the main streets of downtown on the typical "party" nights/Friday and Saturday can be like that. I think people who live downtown know where to go and what nights to avoid. My fiance, who is an executive was doing business entertaining and was beaten down by an Austin Police Officer at SpeakEasy just for not handling a conversation with a bartender correctly. They were taken to headquarters and the business associate took the plea. My fiance did not and had to go through the Austin court process to prove the officers were at fault. He won his innocence but would have to hire a separate attorney to seek a civil award from the dept. This is not off subject-everyone is on edge downtown on crowded nights. All kinds of people are out on the streets-it is more dangerous than people think and yes-Austin does have a sinister side.
Yep. When I think of the sinister side of Austin, I think of Speakeasy at 4th and Congress. I normally avoid that area and hang out on Lamar near Rundberg when I want to have a few drinks at midnight.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:37 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
ha!

Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 AM

97 posts, read 197,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I don't know if it's just bad luck or what, but I've had several friends and one family member who were jumped and/or mugged in downtown Austin at night while just going on about their business bar-hopping and such. A few ended up in the hospital from it. The medical staff told them it's been happening more frequently and that it's likely gang-related.
I used to live in Idaho, and when the population started booing in the early 90's, mainly all people from California coming to Idaho to be the industry leaders of the boom, they started bringing in their badass kids as well. And that brought in a lot of gang related activity. So the numbers of gang activty kept rising. It was about 95% latinos who moved up from Cali with their parents.

Anyways, now where I used to live the headlines are always "Gang Related Shooting Kills 2" or "Gang Related Actvity on the Rise" it's very sad.

I can see this happening to ANY city now that I have been through it. When the population booms it brings the riff raff. It's just me and my wife. We moved here from Boise just because really. No reason other then I used to visit Austin once a weekend for severl years. I was in the Army at Ft. Hood just north. And I fell in love with the people and the places. So we wont bring riff raff. I actually work in Afghanistan for the last 5 years so I'm very quiet haha...

Anyways... as the population rises, so does crime and gang related activity. Hope its not true for Austin. No matter what headlines I read about moving they all say go to Austin. So get ready!

Old 03-02-2014, 07:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,649 times
Default Actually stay in a gang area in Austin

For starters the real gangs in are north, east and south east Austin. Most of the gangs are black or Hispanic . The crips are mostly north but they have some bloods up north. The bloods mostly in the east. But u have a small time crip gang near 21st . Something crip babies?!?!? Idk but they are around there. Tree top and 59 pirus are eastside 02 - 21. But if for some reason y'all want to know every gang.this is a RANDOM order

1.tree top
2.59 piru
3.brown pride
4.sureno
5.59 bhb=bounty hunter bloods
6.insane gangster crips
7.eastside insane babie crip gang ..(3x)card
8.skinheads..not many but we have them
9.hoover gangster crips
10.rollin 60's crip...(NHC)card

Old 03-23-2014, 01:24 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,730 times
Er, okay. We'll take your word for it. Thanks...

Old 03-24-2014, 12:35 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,776,575 times
That's the dumbest list I've ever seen....

Old 03-24-2014, 10:04 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
List might be "dumb" but it's probably real. Austin has gangs, including MS-13 and Texas Syndicate, which are not on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin