Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2014, 12:13 PM

653 posts, read 1,787,182 times

Advertisements

Is a permit required to build a small Deck in my backyard?

Deck will be simple, and as low as I can get it, without any wood touching the ground.
Basically stone footings, then 2x6 beams every 12", and Trex boards on top of that.
Full size maybe 12 x 16.

Does the code allow for this.

This is how I built my deck in Oregon, but where I lived we did not get winds nearly as high as we get here.

I dug out an area (maybe 6" deep), filled it with gravel, packed the gravel down, put in pier blocks, put 2 x 6 beams on top of the pier blocks (with some tar paper between the concrete and wood contact), and then put Trex boards on top of it.

I used the spacing recommended for Composite decks, which I think was 12".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 12:41 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,818,121 times
See these previous posts on this subject:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...l#post34754833

http://www.city-data.com/forum/austi...l#post27996379

Anything that increased the impervious cover requires a permit. A deck is counted at 50% of its area going towards increasing the impervious cover. Most residential properties are allowed only 45% total impervious cover on the site, that includes all paving, sidewalks, decks, driveways, buildings, etc. Anything that prevents rainfall from being absorbed into the ground and increases the rain run off from the site.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:08 PM

Thank you.

It will be low, so not too far about grade.

It won't be impervious, water can get through to the ground.

I was considering a cover, Pavilion style, but not with a roof, but maybe shade material on top, the kind that has tiny holes that water will go through anyway.

I really don't want to spend more than $6000 on the whole project (Deck and Pavilion style covering, both about 10' x 16').
This includes labor, as I think I might hire someone to actually build it for me.

I think maybe not connected to the house is best, maybe an inch from the house.

After reading the information you referenced,
I am still not sure about anchoring requirements, or if I can just use the pier blocks, or if I need to set something in concrete, that the deck bolts to.
Maybe I should do this anyway.

I am pretty certain I want to use a composite material, like Trex.

Also,
I am wondering if I can use 2x4 beams instead of 2x6 beams, since I will putting them only a foot apart.
This gets my deck another 2" lower.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:21 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,835,370 times
Use 2x6, or it'll get bouncy.
It's still considered impervious cover (at 50%).

Old 05-19-2014, 01:58 PM

ok,

Thank you.

No use of 2x4s, stick with 2x6s if I use wood beams.

I was just reading about steel beams.
Now I am seriously considering the use of steel beams.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:39 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,439,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
ok,

Thank you.

No use of 2x4s, stick with 2x6s if I use wood beams.

I was just reading about steel beams.
Now I am seriously considering the use of steel beams.
Attaching to steel could be interesting...what fasteners will you use?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin