U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Moving to Texas: Austin, dental schooling, downtown, activities for outdoor.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:23 PM

11 posts, read 13,047 times

Advertisements

Hey, just found this site, and it seems pretty cool.
Anyway, I'm currently living in Seattle going to dental school and am trying to research various cities to move to when I'm done with school. I like Seattle, but honestly I can no longer take the day after day of gray, cloudy skies. It is so depressing. Also, the infamous "seattle freeze" is VERY true. Believe me, I have been here for quite some time. I have lived in other places (SF, Dallas, Atlanta, etc.) and trust me Seattle is quite a "closed, cliquish" city. I really need somewhere that has SUN a majority of the year. I visited Austin when I was living in Dallas and my first thought was that it was a "west coast city located in Texas." I am a male and single. What are some thoughts? I could provide more info to help with suggestions and comments, but I figured I'd just get the ball rolling. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 11:25 PM

1,938 posts, read 3,879,950 times
Awww c'mon. Don't Seattle bash!! We have had an awesome winter this year. Tons of sun!! I know because I was here last year and it was a hard winter! I totally disagree on the Freeze comment...but I live on the Eastside amidst mommies and daddies so we might not be hanging with the same crowds. It is not a friendly as TX is, but few places are. Just felt compelled to defend Seattle a bit, great city that it is! Now having been a former Austinite and having lived in TX for a total of 12 years (2 in Dallas, 10 in Austin) and one who LOVES Austin, I will tell you it is a great choice of cities to live in. My comparison prior to it was Denver and I have been to all cities you mentioned and spent a lot of time in them working. So, it is not SF, Dallas or Atlanta...and if you are looking for a big city...you will not find it in Austin, which I consider to be a great thing about Austin. It's a full of fun, funky restaurants, things to do outdoors (by TX standards that is), lots of water and is the prettiest part of TX IMO. People are great, cost of living reasonable and location in Central TX close to major cities is terrific. Not sure how the market is for dentists but certainly go visit and check it out. Prefer the weather of Austin to both Hotlanta and Dallas (more severe than Austin even though it's pretty close to it). Austin is also a great place to raise a family should you be so inclined to do that in a few years. You can find plenty of threads comparing it to Seattle if that is your point of reference and plenty of on this board that have made moves in both directions so search for those threads as well. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2009, 12:30 AM

1,889 posts, read 3,723,236 times
There are a few of us here from Seattle and so far we all enjoy it here. The downtown area is pretty similiar to Seattle downtown. Oh and remember all those cloudy days? Well flip flop the 300 days of clouds with 300 days of sunshine. It does get hot....very hot

Old 02-18-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastrigirl View Post
Awww c'mon. Don't Seattle bash!! We have had an awesome winter this year. Tons of sun!! I know because I was here last year and it was a hard winter! I totally disagree on the Freeze comment...but I live on the Eastside amidst mommies and daddies so we might not be hanging with the same crowds. It is not a friendly as TX is, but few places are. Just felt compelled to defend Seattle a bit, great city that it is! Now having been a former Austinite and having lived in TX for a total of 12 years (2 in Dallas, 10 in Austin) and one who LOVES Austin, I will tell you it is a great choice of cities to live in. My comparison prior to it was Denver and I have been to all cities you mentioned and spent a lot of time in them working. So, it is not SF, Dallas or Atlanta...and if you are looking for a big city...you will not find it in Austin, which I consider to be a great thing about Austin. It's a full of fun, funky restaurants, things to do outdoors (by TX standards that is), lots of water and is the prettiest part of TX IMO. People are great, cost of living reasonable and location in Central TX close to major cities is terrific. Not sure how the market is for dentists but certainly go visit and check it out. Prefer the weather of Austin to both Hotlanta and Dallas (more severe than Austin even though it's pretty close to it). Austin is also a great place to raise a family should you be so inclined to do that in a few years. You can find plenty of threads comparing it to Seattle if that is your point of reference and plenty of on this board that have made moves in both directions so search for those threads as well. Good luck!
I'm not really "Seattle bashing" per se. I'm just saying that it definitely isn't my kind of spot. I can surely see why a lot of people really like it here. For me, having sunny weather can do wonders and alas Seattle just can't offer this. Don't get me wrong, if Seattle was like july-september for most of the year i would never want to live anywhere else. Seattle is a cool city, but it is just trapped in a perpetual gloomy and grey backdrop. And c'mon, are you really going to argue this??

Contrary to popular belief it isn't the rain in Seattle that is unbearable, it is the constant grey cloudy skies. but enough about the weather, that is only one deterrent (although MAJOR).
Seattle is an interesting city because it is trapped, or maybe the word is stuck. What I mean is that Seattle is confused about whether it is a big city, or whether it is still a smaller metropolitan city like it was 15 years ago. There are quite some differences between how a town perceives itself, and it is helpful to know how to define yourself. After reading some posts it seems that Austin is going through something of the same thing...maybe? I don't really have much to go on except what I've read or heard. Anyone know enough to chime in?
Anyway, just wanted to get some info. I'll most likely visit Austin soon, but it is always great to hear from those who have more knowledge.
Thanks for the replies to the two posters above.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:59 PM

11 posts, read 39,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttoleaveseattle View Post
Hey, just found this site, and it seems pretty cool.
Anyway, I'm currently living in Seattle going to dental school and am trying to research various cities to move to when I'm done with school. I like Seattle, but honestly I can no longer take the day after day of gray, cloudy skies. It is so depressing. Also, the infamous "seattle freeze" is VERY true. Believe me, I have been here for quite some time. I have lived in other places (SF, Dallas, Atlanta, etc.) and trust me Seattle is quite a "closed, cliquish" city. I really need somewhere that has SUN a majority of the year. I visited Austin when I was living in Dallas and my first thought was that it was a "west coast city located in Texas." I am a male and single. What are some thoughts? I could provide more info to help with suggestions and comments, but I figured I'd just get the ball rolling. thanks!
Everything depends on your personality. What are you looking for?

Austin is very closed and cliquish and is nothing like a coastal town.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:38 PM

6,849 posts, read 10,757,165 times
Quote:
Seattle is an interesting city because it is trapped, or maybe the word is stuck. What I mean is that Seattle is confused about whether it is a big city, or whether it is still a smaller metropolitan city like it was 15 years ago. There are quite some differences between how a town perceives itself, and it is helpful to know how to define yourself. After reading some posts it seems that Austin is going through something of the same thing...maybe?
Austin might be going through the same thing, e.g. growing pains getting from "small" to "mid size" or maybe a bit larger. But it will definitely feel smaller than Seattle. A major difference:

Seattle is the population center of its state... and you'll have to go a long way (in the U.S., anyway) before there is another city which is larger.

Austin, on the other hand... you can go in 3 directions an be in 3 different larger cities within 1-3 hours. Two of those cities, Dallas and Houston, being among the largest in the country. So there is less pressure to grow here, it's not the population center of the state, or even the 2nd or 3rd largest city. Geography wise, it may look isolated, but it's really not.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreadingTruth View Post
Everything depends on your personality. What are you looking for?

Austin is very closed and cliquish and is nothing like a coastal town.
Interesting comment. Would you mind elaborating a bit? Specifically on the last comment. I think coastal town might be too vague of a term, since I've been up and down the west coast quite a bit and there are definitely differences amongst coastal towns/cities. Also, what type of cliquishness is present in Austin?
I've lived in both Seattle and Dallas, and in a way I guess I'm looking for a combo of the two, if that's even possible. I like aspects of both.
Seattle is built around families and couples. It doesn't really lend itself to single professionals, unless you want to go clubbin in belltown or pioneer square.
I guess I'm looking for a more easy going, laid back city that also is a "city" and not a town. seattle is not as "laid-back and accepting" as it seems. There are a lot of inconsistencies that can only be seen and understood by actually living here...not visiting. I actually think it is one of the, if not the, most beautiful places in the US when the sun is shining. It's gorgeous, but as someone said on a post in some Austin/ Seattle thread - "scenery can only take you so far."

Old 02-19-2009, 12:09 PM

2,300 posts, read 3,392,374 times
Quote:
Seattle is built around families and couples. It doesn't really lend itself to single professionals, unless you want to go clubbin in belltown or pioneer square.
I believe that major portions of the Austin area are as you said "built around families and couples" as well (unless you're still in College). However, if you are able to afford to live in central Austin, it sounds like you might be able to find a fit.

You also have to remember that Austin will not provide the type of big city amenities that Dallas does. I think that Austin is geared towards the more athletic person that likes to get out and run or bike and do outdoor activities during the day. I don't think it caters as much to the person that likes to get dressed up and go out to a higher end dance club at night. There is definitely a lot of night life, but most places are casual where you wouldn't feel out of place in shorts or jeans.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I believe that major portions of the Austin area are as you said "built around families and couples" as well (unless you're still in College). However, if you are able to afford to live in central Austin, it sounds like you might be able to find a fit.

You also have to remember that Austin will not provide the type of big city amenities that Dallas does. I think that Austin is geared towards the more athletic person that likes to get out and run or bike and do outdoor activities during the day. I don't think it caters as much to the person that likes to get dressed up and go out to a higher end dance club at night. There is definitely a lot of night life, but most places are casual where you wouldn't feel out of place in shorts or jeans.
I know it's hard for a mid-twenties single guy to really find the "perfect" place. I guess my thing is, that when i do decide to move from Seattle I'll be in my late 20's so the whole bar/undergrad scene might be a little bit of a stretch (6th street?), but I still am an active person who likes a balance of fun outdoorsy activities meshed with a vibrant night/social scene. I like skiing enough, but I could always vacation in Colorado or anywhere else with great skiing. The one thing that will be hard to be away from would be the water. I know this, and just figure that when I do vacation I will have to have long stints on the water to cure my fever I would much rather have constant sun and visit the 'scenery' than vice versa.
Also, I will eventually be looking to find a girl and get serious, so the whole family/couples thing is actually not bad, but it would just be nice if that isn't ALL there is. The girls in Texas are hands down way better looking/ friendlier and more outgoing than many places I've been, plus they have a great sense of family which is very important to me. I plan on being financially successful and so maybe the central district might be where I'd start off with if I did move down there. The best way I can define myself is that I'm not a yuppie, but I'm also not a hippy. Hopefully this makes sense.

I really do appreciate the posts so far, it has given me some great down to earth insight.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:26 AM

4,664 posts, read 6,873,268 times
Psst! Just so you know, the older 20s and 30s crowd is not on 6th street! Try the warehouse district over on 4th street, west of Congress.

And you'll find all ages at places like the Saxon Pub, Continental Club, and the Broken Spoke, all in south austin.

good luck! I think you'll do fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin