Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 08:42 AM

19 posts, read 38,253 times

Advertisements

Hi ,I currently live in Long Beach,Ca. Am 37yrs old a single mother to a one year old boy. Due to the recent housing market I think I better move and try to find a good solid place to raise my son.I have been in Real Estate over 18 yrs. Also did I say Im Hispanic.But look white.
I have been to Austin and I liked what I saw.But I heard different things . one being that the schools are no good. the other that people still discriminate towards Hispanics.
I'm looking in to the Circle C area and Stainer Ranch. Are the schools there good? Or what area do you suggest.Alao what is this about propane gas in Berletta?
I would like my son to raise in a GOOD neighborhood, a place that I can walk him to school and do lots of outdoor things.I plan to keep teaching my son spanish and to teach him about our culture and to be proud of being hispanic, and to respect all cultures. I don't want to loose this by moving.
Thank you for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 08:47 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
Also did I say Im Hispanic.But look white.
Very few people will care, really, and odd as it may seem, probably less so in the nicer areas.

Quote:
I'm looking in to the Circle C area and Stainer Ranch. Are the schools there good?
Very nice neighborhoods, very good schools. You will have to pick your house site based on your desire to walk to school, but it is quite possible. (Steiner Ranch).

Old 02-23-2009, 10:24 AM

786 posts, read 2,761,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexGirl View Post
[i].Alao what is this about propane gas in Berletta?
I assume you mean Belterra in Dripping Springs.

Belterra is a master planned community where you could definitely walk your son to school for elementary, though depending on which part of Belterra you are living in, it could be a longer walk. I am pretty sure you will have to bus to the middle school.

The propane issue relates to the fact that Belterra has been built with primarily gas appliances, and has a community central propane system. That means each house is hooked up to a pipeline just like natural gas, instead of having individual propane tanks on the property. So everything looks nice and neat and you do not have ugly above ground propane tanks or buried units, with ugly propane delivery trucks running up an down the road. Sounds good.

The downside to this is that you are contracted with one propane company to deliver you propane and they decide what price you are paying. If you don't like the price, don't use any propane. You cannot get delivery from someone else since it is all in the central system. Some residents have reported paying higher than market value prices since there is no competition in the area. The Belterra developer still controls the HOA which controls the contract, so he decides who is delivering your propane and at what price.

This does not mean you should rule Belterra out, just be aware of the good points and bad points of an area.

Many other developments out there also have these community propane systems, so do your research when you buy. If the house uses gas heat, find out if it is natural gas or propane, and if propane, is it a central system or a private tank?

Most people I have met that live in Belterra like it very much. The good outweighs the bad.

Good Luck.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:20 PM

19 posts, read 38,253 times
Thank you for your advice.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:21 PM

786 posts, read 2,761,655 times
Can some of the Steiner Ranch and Circle C residents chime in here?

I know you're out there.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:43 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,058,660 times
All the schools in Circle C are rated Exceptional and parents really seem to love them. My son is having some challenges but that may have to do with his difficulty regarding transitions. We've only been here a few weeks so I cannot go into more detail than that in terms of schooling.

I prefer Circle C to Steiner Ranch because it is closer to downtown, and for me, moving to Austin means being close enough in that I can take advantage of what the city has to offer. We can get to town lake in less than 15 minutes on the weekend. If we were up in Steiner, I doubt we'd ever get down there.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:06 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
I don't know about the public school for kids; however, there is absolutely no Hispanic culture in Austin.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:12 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,550,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I don't know about the public school for kids; however, there is absolutely no Hispanic culture in Austin.
Now there's a helpful response!

Old 02-23-2009, 11:02 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,406 times
I think you will find that Austinites are welcoming of different cultures, so you should hopefully fit right in here. I don't know who told you the schools are no good, b/c that's not entirely true. Some are, some aren't--as is the case in most cities. Once you get out towards the suburbs, you may be in schools that better suit you. Steiner Ranch is supposed to have a wonderful school. My son is in the Leander district and I can tell you first hand it's wonderful. Just keep doing your research and it will come together. Best of luck.

Last edited by LookingtoLeave; 02-23-2009 at 11:12 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 11:04 PM

957 posts, read 3,351,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
That's a blanket statement and considering our distance from Mexico, I can tell you that's not true. It may not be prevelant in Steiner Ranch or up north, but to say Austin is a bunch of bs and you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin