U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:55 PM

3,902 posts, read 5,706,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyfiver View Post
Does anyone have any info on Austin's Colony subdivision (south of FM 969, a little way east of SH 130); also the subdivision immediately north of Austin's Colony, on the other side of FM 969?

I currently live in a townhouse in NW Austin, but may be looking for a larger house in the next year or two. Funds available will not be sufficient to purchase a house west of I-35, and financing is not an option. And please, squeals of horror at the idea of living east of I-35 are not acceptable.
Mueller supposedly has availability in their affordable housing program, you might want to call to see if that is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 07:33 AM

4 posts, read 7,807 times
I am a state employee (work downtown), mid-upper income, and live in Austin's Colony (moved to Reytex Homes new devlp over a year and a 1/2, ago). Commute to just about everything in town (esp due to proximity to SH 130 toll rd and SH 71, SH 290 and SH 183) is approx. <10-15 min. However, it won't be for another 6-12 mo+ for them to have any other kind of new retail, devlp near us. If you choose Austin's Colony, I would, in all honesty, recommend either the new master planned Reytex Homes, Pacesetter Homes, Meritage Homes, or Chapperal Crossing (a nice, single detached home-like condos with garages) developments in it. There is rich diversity in cultures in Austin's Colony, and in being new to the area a year and a 1/2 ago (moved from a very well to do suburb in Phoenix / Chandler, AZ), and throughout all other parts of town (unless you are looking for a $275,000+ home and remember, property tax is high throughout most of time- add $4,000-$6,000/yr for those), I have observed the same randomly from house to house and street to street in all neighborhoods in town, and not as near as the better quality of life (here, ironically, it is exceptionally very safe, great HOA, extremely quiet/peaceful, well kept yards/homes, no eyesores, fantastic neighbors, and access to three private parks (incl an unbelievable Colorado River park- river backs up entire neighborhood, so no through traffic/sprawl) and pool/community center, jogging/hiking/equistrian trails, etc, and so much more. Fire Dept is within the Colony, as well as a new state of the art middle school being built (it opens in Fall 2010). It truly is a completely transforming area with the new developments and most of my neighbors (esp in the Reytex, Pacesetter, and Chapperal master planned community develoments) are government / downtown employees (less than 15 min-half hr free-flowing commute to downtown/Capitol), firefighters and police officers, and Dell / technlogy emloyees. Many of the lots are also much larger than most established and new master planned community lots (I have, for example, a 2010 sq ft 2-story- extremely well built- located on over 1/3 acre on a corner lot in an enclosed, private cul-de-sac. Established neighborhoods/homes have standard lots, but with many trees, etc. Newer homes, you get, standard, two evergreen oak trees and shrubs in front (w/ St Augustine grass) and the back- it would be all up to them (save for the grass). I put in, though, over 42 fast growing evergreen shrubs and over 8 tall evergreen oaks, hollys, etc trees last year, and all are thriving/provide incredible privacy (most shrubs, again, in less than a year, have grown wildly in our nice climate, and are at or above the privacy walls. In other words, if they are looking to live out here, expect for about a year (until retail comes) to feel like you are living life like "Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman" - but with access to just about everything < 10-15 min). The state is also considering building a new "green complex" that would house all state employees in a campus at or near our FM 969 / SH 130 toll road (1/2 mi away), so that would also drive a lot of future growth. Taxes are probably the lowest in Travis County/Austin, here, as well (under $3,000) as we are under Austin electric, but not incorporated (under county jurisdiction, still). In other words, from someone who heard East Austin was 'not' a good place to be, those folks are thinking more towards downtown area- newer East Austin has been exploding (like Pfluegerville) with growth and, in my three home ownership experiences in two states, certainly, the most peaceful, safe, and wonderful neighborhood I have had to date (less, of course, until they build a Costco, new supermarket plaza, Home Depot, Kohls, Walmart and/or Starbucks, closer)! (-: Hope this helps and best of luck in your new home search!.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:13 AM

3,902 posts, read 5,706,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caralyanne View Post
I am a state employee (work downtown), mid-upper income, and live in Austin's Colony (moved to Reytex Homes new devlp over a year and a 1/2, ago). Commute to just about everything in town (esp due to proximity to SH 130 toll rd and SH 71, SH 290 and SH 183) is approx. <10-15 min. However, it won't be for another 6-12 mo+ for them to have any other kind of new retail, devlp near us. If you choose Austin's Colony, I would, in all honesty, recommend either the new master planned Reytex Homes, Pacesetter Homes, Meritage Homes, or Chapperal Crossing (a nice, single detached home-like condos with garages) developments in it. There is rich diversity in cultures in Austin's Colony, and in being new to the area a year and a 1/2 ago (moved from a very well to do suburb in Phoenix / Chandler, AZ), and throughout all other parts of town (unless you are looking for a $275,000+ home and remember, property tax is high throughout most of time- add $4,000-$6,000/yr for those), I have observed the same randomly from house to house and street to street in all neighborhoods in town, and not as near as the better quality of life (here, ironically, it is exceptionally very safe, great HOA, extremely quiet/peaceful, well kept yards/homes, no eyesores, fantastic neighbors, and access to three private parks (incl an unbelievable Colorado River park- river backs up entire neighborhood, so no through traffic/sprawl) and pool/community center, jogging/hiking/equistrian trails, etc, and so much more. Fire Dept is within the Colony, as well as a new state of the art middle school being built (it opens in Fall 2010). It truly is a completely transforming area with the new developments and most of my neighbors (esp in the Reytex, Pacesetter, and Chapperal master planned community develoments) are government / downtown employees (less than 15 min-half hr free-flowing commute to downtown/Capitol), firefighters and police officers, and Dell / technlogy emloyees. Many of the lots are also much larger than most established and new master planned community lots (I have, for example, a 2010 sq ft 2-story- extremely well built- located on over 1/3 acre on a corner lot in an enclosed, private cul-de-sac. Established neighborhoods/homes have standard lots, but with many trees, etc. Newer homes, you get, standard, two evergreen oak trees and shrubs in front (w/ St Augustine grass) and the back- it would be all up to them (save for the grass). I put in, though, over 42 fast growing evergreen shrubs and over 8 tall evergreen oaks, hollys, etc trees last year, and all are thriving/provide incredible privacy (most shrubs, again, in less than a year, have grown wildly in our nice climate, and are at or above the privacy walls. In other words, if they are looking to live out here, expect for about a year (until retail comes) to feel like you are living life like "Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman" - but with access to just about everything < 10-15 min). The state is also considering building a new "green complex" that would house all state employees in a campus at or near our FM 969 / SH 130 toll road (1/2 mi away), so that would also drive a lot of future growth. Taxes are probably the lowest in Travis County/Austin, here, as well (under $3,000) as we are under Austin electric, but not incorporated (under county jurisdiction, still). In other words, from someone who heard East Austin was 'not' a good place to be, those folks are thinking more towards downtown area- newer East Austin has been exploding (like Pfluegerville) with growth and, in my three home ownership experiences in two states, certainly, the most peaceful, safe, and wonderful neighborhood I have had to date (less, of course, until they build a Costco, new supermarket plaza, Home Depot, Kohls, Walmart and/or Starbucks, closer)! (-: Hope this helps and best of luck in your new home search!.
Your post would be a lot easier to read if you used paragraphs

Old 10-04-2009, 08:12 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,658,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by la60336 View Post
Harris Branch is about a 15 minute drive from downtown on 290. It is a nice quiet neighborhood. The main problem that I see is that there isn't a grocery store store really close. The closest one is about 5 miles away at parmer and IH35. What type of home are you looking for?
I have a friend who lives in Harris Branch and she says the main problem is that most of the homes there have foundation problems. Also Harris Branch was originally conceived as being close to a proposed airport location which of course never happened. I also have to say the main parkway is one of the worst roads in the greater Austin area. On a positive note it is relatively close to Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin