U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 12:02 AM

795 posts, read 1,523,123 times
Default Is Austin really a liberal bastion?

I have heard that Austin, TX is a very liberal city. But after viewing the voting records for Travis county (64% Obama) and looking at a study listing Austin as the 93rd most liberal city I have my doubts. Is it that Austin is a liberal city by Texas standards?

Where have Seattle's lefties gone?

Some cities that voted 75% or higher for Obama according to CNN:

SF, Denver, Seattle, Chicago, NYC, Philly, STL, ATL,

Last edited by Bo; 03-04-2009 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: Moved from General US - single city rule
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 04:58 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,178,947 times
maybe only compared to the rest of texas. i wonder if they oppose the death penalty.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:09 AM

2,697 posts, read 5,372,455 times
Yes, Austin is liberal by Texas standards, but you are correct that it doesn't stand up there with the more liberal cities overall (it's still in Texas, LOL).

Old 03-04-2009, 09:06 AM

1,308 posts, read 2,098,162 times
Suburbs tend to be more conservative than the city proper, and man, Austin is full of the 'burbs.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:55 AM

4,544 posts, read 6,453,884 times
There are some deep blue precincts in the central city but yes, we are liberal for Texas not the US as a whole. i.e. you can be a meat-eating, gun-owning, church-attending democrat here and not raise eyebrows. You can be a pacificist, vegan too but that won't be your only option.

And Texas remains a low-tax, low service state that prides itself on being friendly to "bidness"

Old 03-04-2009, 10:19 AM

906 posts, read 1,403,601 times
Austin is liberal as in it has a lot of college kids. I don't want to oversimplify things but the liberal notion really comes from dominance of UT downtown, with a few musicians and aging hippies in the mix.

Once you're away from UT, south congress, and a few of the artsy/musician neighborhoods, Austin is fairly conservative. The suburbs are much more conservative and the counties adjacent are deep crimson red.

Based on voting results from recent elections Austin is just a bit more democrat-leaning than Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and the border region. For example, I think Obama won Dallas with 60% vis-a-vis 64% in Austin.

Therefore, if you're thinking of moving here expecting a hippie commune, you'll be really disappointed.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:33 PM

25,170 posts, read 32,901,125 times
They are politically democratic yet socially conservative people (go figure on that one). There are no hippies, major art scene, or out gay scene. Minorities tend to be socially conservative too.

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-04-2009 at 01:17 PM..

Old 03-04-2009, 01:40 PM

24 posts, read 64,178 times
I would say Austin is more a middle ground town compared to a liberal one. Especially in regards to the in your face left wing Liberalism that such places as Berkley are known for. Someone in a separate forum said it perfectly:

"You can express your conservative opinions in a leftist coffeehouse and you won't feel like everyone wants to kill you. And you can say something liberal in a conservative place and you will probably be just as safe."

I think Austin has a true type of tolerance that left wing liberals think they have (as long as you see things their way) and that right wing conservatives pride themselves on not having.
Come as your are be it blue or red or god or darwin gay or straight and accept that there is more than one way to see things in life.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:20 PM

16,123 posts, read 21,596,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guffb View Post
I would say Austin is more a middle ground town compared to a liberal one. Especially in regards to the in your face left wing Liberalism that such places as Berkley are known for. Someone in a separate forum said it perfectly:

"You can express your conservative opinions in a leftist coffeehouse and you won't feel like everyone wants to kill you. And you can say something liberal in a conservative place and you will probably be just as safe."

I think Austin has a true type of tolerance that left wing liberals think they have (as long as you see things their way) and that right wing conservatives pride themselves on not having.
Come as your are be it blue or red or god or darwin gay or straight and accept that there is more than one way to see things in life.
VERY well said! That's it exactly.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:26 PM

4,063 posts, read 4,946,401 times
Another thing to remember is that newly annexed conservative suburbs are counted as Austin proper along with the dense/urban/democratic parts of the city. Older and more geographically constrained cities like Seattle, Chicago, NYC, Philly, STL and San Francisco are proportionally more dense/urban/democratic than Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin