Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 05:56 PM

308 posts, read 600,257 times

Advertisements

Its not a bad time to be here. Two of my cousins relocated here in the past 3-weeks and both already found decent jobs.
One came from Miami and the other from St. Louis and are really happy that they made the move.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 08:07 AM
nxm

39 posts, read 409,732 times
Default Move to Austin -- How should one plan a job search

Hello,
We (wife, a 4 year daughter and a 5 month son) are planning a move to Texas, most likely to Austin or Dallas/Fort Worth. I used to live in Midwest and loved it. Right now, we are living in Miami, FL and find it is not an appropriate place to raise children and the IT job market is very bad here. I have a steady job in software engineering with almost 10 years of experience but with no potential professional growth in my current job.

I am not sure, and this is where I need some advise on how to, go about searching for a good job in Austin area. I have been hearing all good things about this area and its job market. In fact Fort Worth/Dallas has lots of software development jobs, but I am more inclined towards Austin.

I am really tired of Southeast and cannot wait to get ouf of here. Sometimes I just want to quit my job and move to Austin and then find a job but then I think that I shouldn't be unthankful in this type of job market.

I would love to hear from you on what should my approach be in finding a job, how to target the companies and find out the contacts within the compaines.

How long can a job search take me to find a decent job?

Thanks much.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:31 AM

433 posts, read 1,657,287 times
"And with oil at $40 a barrel" (MAR09).

HAHAHAHA!

Old 08-16-2011, 10:18 AM

327 posts, read 766,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxm View Post
Hello,
We (wife, a 4 year daughter and a 5 month son) are planning a move to Texas, most likely to Austin or Dallas/Fort Worth. I used to live in Midwest and loved it. Right now, we are living in Miami, FL and find it is not an appropriate place to raise children and the IT job market is very bad here. I have a steady job in software engineering with almost 10 years of experience but with no potential professional growth in my current job.

I am not sure, and this is where I need some advise on how to, go about searching for a good job in Austin area. I have been hearing all good things about this area and its job market. In fact Fort Worth/Dallas has lots of software development jobs, but I am more inclined towards Austin.

I am really tired of Southeast and cannot wait to get ouf of here. Sometimes I just want to quit my job and move to Austin and then find a job but then I think that I shouldn't be unthankful in this type of job market.

I would love to hear from you on what should my approach be in finding a job, how to target the companies and find out the contacts within the compaines.

Thanks much.
I second all of this, except I'm a young, inexperienced electrical engineer working for the gov't, but looking for a job in the private sector working with electronics. I've seen a few jobs big companies like IBM and Intel are advertising for entry-level, newly graduated engineers, but I don't know if that applies to me since I've been out of school for 3 years and am working at the moment.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:47 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxm View Post
Hello,

Thanks much.
You would get a better response if you start your own thread rather then tag onto one as old as this. In general I don't think it is a good gamble in this economy for someone with a decent job to give it up and move all the way here in hopes of finding something better. Very risky.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:42 PM
nxm

39 posts, read 409,732 times
Thanks CptnRn, I am definitely not going to take any risks but at the same time I need to start looking around just not sure how to target the companies.

I think its a good idea to start a new thread on it.

Thanks once again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin