Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:36 PM

115 posts, read 450,157 times

Advertisements

Need recomendations on where to buy a prom dress at a reasonable price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 09:19 PM

484 posts, read 1,578,413 times
You could try department stores. Most of them have prom dresses at low costs (under $150 or so, with most of them a lot cheaper than that even..especially if you look at the clearance racks)

JC Penny (which is at University Oaks, SouthPark Meadows, Lakeline mall and Barton Creek Square that I know of)
Dillards (which is at Barton Creek Square, Lakeline mall, Hill Country Galleria, Highland mall, etc)
Macys (which is at The Domain, Lakeline mall, and Barton Creek Square)

You could also could try The Bridesmaid store (on Research Blvd.) has several prom dresses that range from about $60 to $250 or so.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:33 PM

105 posts, read 663,831 times
There are a couple of wonderful upscale women's consignment shops that carry great formal wear. I know there is one at norcross mall called Designer Exchange that gets at least half of it's inventory from out of state boutiques-- so it really isn't even "used". They have a lot of bridal and formalwear in this section--lots of things would be perfect for a prom!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:47 PM

484 posts, read 1,578,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotskid27 View Post
There are a couple of wonderful upscale women's consignment shops that carry great formal wear. I know there is one at norcross mall called Designer Exchange that gets at least half of it's inventory from out of state boutiques-- so it really isn't even "used". They have a lot of bridal and formalwear in this section--lots of things would be perfect for a prom!
I totally agree that Designer Exchange is a great store. But, I think it's a little high priced and since the poster said affordable, I purposely didn't state it. But, I definitely think that Designer Exchange is worth taking a look around. You may be able to find something at a reasonable price

Old 03-09-2009, 08:53 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times
goodwill--might have something retro that some girls would like
also with some people having to downsize might have more nicer dresses in...

Old 03-10-2009, 05:07 AM

115 posts, read 450,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
goodwill--might have something retro that some girls would like
also with some people having to downsize might have more nicer dresses in...

Thanks ladies ! I hate shopping for anything unless it is at the thrift stores but I wll jot all the info down and will be on our way...

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Old 03-10-2009, 07:32 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,487,504 times
I guess you could also check out craigs list--that varies so much--but you could post a WANTED blip

Old 03-10-2009, 02:21 PM

959 posts, read 4,482,910 times
Also look into the non profit austinfairygodmother.org If any of you have formal gowns, shoes, etc you no longer use I know they take donations. Teenage girls can borrow everything they need for prom at no charge (though I'm sure they accept donations) and adult women can borrow the same for $25.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 13,655 times
I have three formal prom dresses one purple, turquoise, and then i have a black one with white polka dots. Only been worn once and u cant even tell if your interested email me at [email]ms.april@yahoo.com[/email] and i can send u pictures and measurements.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:07 PM

589 posts, read 1,805,575 times
I'd stay 10 miles away from any department store prom dress unless the young lady doesn't mind seeing at least 1-3 other young ladies wearing the same dress at the prom. Go to a bridal shop or look on the internet. As to the bridal shops, sometimes you can find a really good selection of samples that are on sale. Bridal shops always have competitive prices on new dresses too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin