U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-12-2009, 08:38 PM

74,367 posts, read 34,513,740 times
I've noticed more varied out of state license plates but it's not California and it's several states not just one.
I've seen Ohio, Colorado, Arizona and one or two other states.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 08:51 PM

21 posts, read 41,311 times
I am considering moving to Austin (and a couple of other places), but would not do so until I had secured a job there. I have had one interview for a position in Austin and hope to hear soon what they decide, but I would not pick up and move my family without first having something stable on the other end - unfortunately for me I am not one of those with enough in the bank to wait it out if I could not find work.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:54 PM

700 posts, read 767,000 times
We will be leavers in a couple of years. After seeing the changes during our 20 years here, we are more than ready. So maybe it all evens out.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:17 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,023 posts, read 7,746,058 times
I'm moving to Austin when my house sells. I am an ICU RN with almost 18 years experience. I don't think I will have difficulty in securing a position as a staff RN in one of the hospitals in/and around Austin.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 PM

188 posts, read 317,983 times
Theoretically, Austin has more than enough jobs for everyone. But in all honestly, a good number of them are going to be involved with the service or retail industries (Austin has more of its fair share of big box stores and chain restaurants).

Professional and specialized jobs are most definitely there, but they are truly slim for the pickings. Hopefully, people did their homework before moving out there. Dallas and Houston have a much larger and varied job market. I would suggest those places first if finding a job is one of your top priorities.

Anyway, I am not making this up, I've lived there the last 10 years and those were the trends that I found. I hope this info helps.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:47 PM

264 posts, read 636,942 times
I've asked this question way before our economy went down the tubes because I couldn't believe how many out of state plates I would see on a daily basis. Although I will say I've seen a lot less lately, like another poster said, I'm now seeing a lot of Ohio, Georgia, Michigan, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New York, Wisconsin, and Oregon license plates. For whatever reason, I think the number of people moving here from California has slowed considerably (believe me, I'm not complaining ) OR most of them are already here with Texas plates on their cars now. LOL!! I also think Californians figured out that they need to register their cars and get Texas plates ASAP because of the repercussions. Californians no longer leave their California plates on their cars for months at a time like they use to; I guess after trying to run most of them off the road and flipping the rest of them off, they got the hint and started telling everyone over there about removing their plates as soon as they get here.

But seriously, I have so many friends and relatives who are having the hardest time finding a job, and most of them have degrees and years of experience. I can't imagine how hard it is for someone moving here who is competing with the locals for jobs. For teachers, doctors, nurses, and a few other specialized fields, it's probably a lot easier to find a job, but for everyone else, it has to be tough! I understand how some people say it has to be better than where they're living now, but honestly, isn't it better to be looking for a job in a city that you know and where you might have an inside connection than in a city where you know no one and who you're now competing with all the locals for the same job? Right now, it's a lot harder for transplants to land a job here and maybe this is going to slow all the migration here? Who knows, but Austin and Texas sure could use a reprieve to help it get back on it's feet.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:30 PM

2,522 posts, read 3,641,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
The transplants have slowed considerably but we still see people moving here without a job, and who are not worried about it because they have a year or two of living expenses in the bank. Some buy with cash, some rent and wait to find a job before buying.

You have to remember that relative to the departure points, Austin is an oasis of opportunity.

Here is a bit of Uhaul economics:
It costs $1256 one way for a 26ft Uhaul truck from Phoenix to Austin. From Austin to Phoenix the same truck is $752. That's because there are more inbound trucks in Austin and they need to get them out of here.

I can't find any destination in the U.S., playing around with the Uhaul calculator at U-Haul: Your moving and self storage resource for truck rentals, trailers, self storage facilities, and moving supplies, where one way out of Austin is more expensive than into Austin. Draw your own conclusions.

Steve
What kills me is that that two years of living expenses is that person's entire net worth....we are talking money that that person took years to accumulate....money that should be set aside for retirement or emergencies, medical and otherwise......and once that nest egg is gone,
the transplant has nothing....Steve, I find it hard to believe that someone not making it would spend two years going through their entire life savings for the shot of making it in Austin.....I'm quite certain that the vast majority will leave withing 6 months of arrival if they aren't making it.....
if what Steve is saying is correct, Austin is the beneficiary of thousands of nest eggs from all over the country, spent and spread all over the city.......even if that was the case, few anywhere have nest eggs intact to blow anymore......but I do believe a ton of folks were indeed living off nest eggs the last few years in the Austin rush.......but, all things must pass, and all nest eggs must dissipate.........

Look for things to slow down markedly in the Austin relo front....

Old 03-12-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by future_itisnow View Post
I am relocating my family to Austin in June of this year. Will be renting in Barton Hills/Zilker area.

I travel for work as a Systems Engineer/Project Manager and my employer has agreed to allow me to relocate to Austin from Detroit. My wife is a LEED certified green building professional who has been out of work for 4 weeks due to the brutal local economy, this is unlikely to change in the near future in Detroit.

The way I look at it is like this, the sooner we get to Austin the better off our family will be...regardless of how tough a job will be to land for my wife. It may be tough in Austin, but it is impossible in Detroit.

We would rather be looking for work and unemployed in Austin than in Detroit, the prospects are much better believe me.
I think you would be better off anywhere in the midwest as opposed to Detroit....God, Minneapolis-St.Paul, Madison/Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Chicago, or even Des Moines would be a profound improvement on Detroit........I'm a big Michael Moore(Roger & Me) fan....God, it kills me how they let these once grand Michigan cities fall apart.....I saw it in Flint and NW Indiana almost 30 years ago, and the bloodletting continues....
now all over Ohio as well....and Elkhart has a 22% unemployment rate, per the RV dearth....."Feed the Children", the Christian organization that travels to Ethiopia and such, just made a large run in Elkhart last week, and was swamped with people.......Houston's Joel Osteen was there as well, and thank God for him and Larry Jones.......I'm originally from the rust belt, in that Michiana area, and I wept when I heard about that.....

Feed The Children distributes its truckfuls of help - The Elkhart Truth - Elkhart, IN

Just what the hell is going on here with our country and the people who thought and once believed in the American Dream? Are we just writing off
entire regions of the US? Are these people all supposed to just pack up, leave friends and family, and move to Texas?

I think our country, and the folks that run the same, have a major problem.......everyone should watch "Roger & Me" once again to remember
where this all started....

Everything that comes around, goes around......trust me on this......

Last edited by inthecut; 03-13-2009 at 12:02 AM..

Old 03-13-2009, 12:03 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,023 posts, read 7,746,058 times
Inthecut: Are you opposed to people relocating to Texas?

Old 03-13-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Inthecut: Are you opposed to people relocating to Texas?
I certainly don't think relocating to the sunbelt is the answer to the bleeding off of industrial cities in the rust belt....not only are states in the sunbelt hurting very hard now themselves, such as Florida, Nevada, and California, but its so flippant to presume that a mass exodus of relocatees
can just run to the sunbelt in the first place........many people simply can't make that move....not only must they sell their house, but must leave their social network, friends and family, and go cold to a place where they know not a soul.........most with families simply can't make that move.....the poor and such least of all.......and I include working poor as well, which includes a large swath of folks......and few people in the middle class have nest eggs anymore that can tide them over as they relocate their entire family hoping to find work......

I think the only answer is to find jobs for folks in the regions they live in........if not, we are selling out an entire generation of people.......and
it simply is not fair to dump entire regions of dispossessed on a state like Texas, and expect their infrastructure and economy to absorb the same,
particularly as the locals are just beginning to feel the hard pinch of the recession themselves......

I'm FOR opportunity, and think we need far better solutions than sending folks to Texas and such.........thats simply not fair to anyone, Texas included.......we need a NATIONAL solution to the problem.......sending folks to Texas is like taking a room full of hungry people, throwing some food in the corner, and sending them all to the same corner, letting them fight over the scraps with the folks who were already in the corner in the first place.........

I'm looking for a realistic, permanent solution, not a simplistic, just-send-everyone-to-Texas one......

Last edited by inthecut; 03-13-2009 at 01:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin