Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 05:52 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,036,040 times

Advertisements

Honestly, does anyone out there really think that there are enough jobs in Austin to absorb the numbers of relocatees still moving to the city?
My impression....from what I see and what I hear, is that is hardly the case anymore.......if the job numbers are as dire as they make them out to be, and the gov't jobs are virtally impossible for relocatees to snag, just what is still attracting the hordes of newcomers? Is there simply going to be a lag-time before relo's find that there is not a bonanza of job opportunities in Austin anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 06:02 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,387 times
JMHO from someone who has been observing this board for over a year, the number of relocatees has abated significantly.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Texan View Post
JMHO from someone who has been observing this board for over a year, the number of relocatees has abated significantly.
You are prob right.....i still see a ton of out-of-state plates around the metro though.....I would imagine that the real estate prob has slowed down folks who need to sell........
Let's ask the people who are looking at this post....are YOU looking to work and relocate in Austin? And, if you are a local, have you noticed that there aren't as many new folks around town anymore?
Maybe the Austin growth has finally stopped after all....

Old 03-12-2009, 06:36 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,604 times
Not really. There are probably more jobs in Houston and Dallas. But then again, many people moving here in the near future will be retirees, so employment may not be an issue for them. Does anyone know how many people are leaving the area?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
Not really. There are probably more jobs in Houston and Dallas. But then again, many people moving here in the near future will be retirees, so employment may not be an issue for them. Does anyone know how many people are leaving the area?
Good one about leaving the area.I would say that the "leavers" would be largely composed of recent arrrivals who couldn't find work.....the "last in-first out" premise.......many folks may soon be running out of a nest egg, and will have to leave soon if only for that reason.........those who have decent jobs, and those who are skilled, will be more likely to stick around longer.....and visa-versa.....

Old 03-12-2009, 06:51 PM

98 posts, read 295,226 times
I am moving to Austin from California. I have family in Austin and will be moving for a teaching job. I have family that works for the school district so I have an in and have a lot better shot of getting a job in Austin. In the city I live in they are laying off 120 teachers due to budget cuts. We only have 7 schools so this is a very large percentage. Even, if the jobs are down in Austin it is no where near what it is here.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:52 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
just what is still attracting the hordes of newcomers?
The transplants have slowed considerably but we still see people moving here without a job, and who are not worried about it because they have a year or two of living expenses in the bank. Some buy with cash, some rent and wait to find a job before buying.

You have to remember that relative to the departure points, Austin is an oasis of opportunity.

Here is a bit of Uhaul economics:
It costs $1256 one way for a 26ft Uhaul truck from Phoenix to Austin. From Austin to Phoenix the same truck is $752. That's because there are more inbound trucks in Austin and they need to get them out of here.

I can't find any destination in the U.S., playing around with the Uhaul calculator at U-Haul: Your moving and self storage resource for truck rentals, trailers, self storage facilities, and moving supplies, where one way out of Austin is more expensive than into Austin. Draw your own conclusions.

Steve

Old 03-12-2009, 07:33 PM

98 posts, read 295,226 times
Yuck, it is going to cost me 1,800 for a U haul. That is crazy.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:26 PM

34 posts, read 111,250 times
I am relocating my family to Austin in June of this year. Will be renting in Barton Hills/Zilker area.

I travel for work as a Systems Engineer/Project Manager and my employer has agreed to allow me to relocate to Austin from Detroit. My wife is a LEED certified green building professional who has been out of work for 4 weeks due to the brutal local economy, this is unlikely to change in the near future in Detroit.

The way I look at it is like this, the sooner we get to Austin the better off our family will be...regardless of how tough a job will be to land for my wife. It may be tough in Austin, but it is impossible in Detroit.

We would rather be looking for work and unemployed in Austin than in Detroit, the prospects are much better believe me.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:28 PM

22 posts, read 81,623 times
We are moving because my husband accepted a promotion. The Austin office has a large back log of work (construction) and the area president was in dire need of assistance. My husband has been in Austin since mid-January; I'll join him once our house sells. If it were not for the promotion we would be staying put with the economy as it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin