Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:35 PM

36 posts, read 98,884 times

Advertisements

I have been here for 4 years and only saw one once- when I was walking outside in far west austin on an extremely hot day, and it was very small. I hear people talk about them on this board constantly but I wanted to let those of you know that haven't moved here that there aren't nearly as many that come into contact with people than many seem to think. Same situation with tarantulas. I know that before I moved here I would have brief moments of panic just thinking about having these critters in my drawers, on my floor, etc. but chill- they are just as scared of us as we are of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 10:52 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,170,990 times
I've lived here for 40 years. I've seen three or four in Austin over that period of time, all of them outside.

I HAVE seen them a couple/three times when I'm camping out in the woods. Mostly I leave them alone and they leave me alone. (I'm a Scorpio, so maybe it's professional courtesy or something.)

Old 03-13-2009, 10:54 PM

174 posts, read 499,609 times
The closer you get to the hill country the more you'll see.I've been stung by a scorpion and let me tell ya if you want to know what that's like, then imagine getting suck with a needle that injects burning gasoline.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:59 PM

I actually HAVE been stung by a scorpion. When I was little and liked to run around barefoot, I stepped on one and, yes, it stung me in self defense as it was squashed. However, having been stung by wasps since then, and having stepped on a bee (took twice to get me over that habit) and stung, I'd say that it was no worse than either of those and not as painful as the wasp stings are (but I've developed an allergy to wasp venom in my old age, so that might have something to do with that).

I should say that the scorpion and the bee stings were in East Texas; the scorpions I've seen camping were out near Smithville southeast of Austin.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:35 PM

575 posts, read 2,488,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedude72 View Post
The closer you get to the hill country the more you'll see.I've been stung by a scorpion and let me tell ya if you want to know what that's like, then imagine getting suck with a needle that injects burning gasoline.
I must differ with you here. I had an a different posting where I described it more like someone taking an Ice Pick, and heating it up, then punching it into one's skin.

I will say though having been stung twice now, in bed, that I don't fear them anymore, but would be annoyed if it happened again.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:29 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,961,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCalitoSteinerRanch View Post
I must differ with you here. I had an a different posting where I described it more like someone taking an Ice Pick, and heating it up, then punching it into one's skin.

I will say though having been stung twice now, in bed, that I don't fear them anymore, but would be annoyed if it happened again.

Did you get bit in bed in Steiner Ranch?

Old 03-14-2009, 12:46 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,022,692 times
I know I've posted on this topic ad nauseum, but it totally depends where you live as to whether you will encounter them. We built in the wildflower Park area of Circle C right next to the veloway and the year we lived in that house, we found 40 of them INSIDE our house between the months of April and October. Fortunately I was never stung (I too am
Scorpio so maybe they left me alone just like THL )

We went and looked at open houses last week and in one of the newer houses where they are still developing in the neighborhood, I opened a closet, and there one was taking a little nap. Needless to say, we are NOT interested in buying that house

Old 03-14-2009, 01:16 PM

It does depend on where you live. If you move into a new subdivision where their natural habitat has been invaded and destroyed, yes, you're much more likely to find them trying to move back to where they were in the first place.

If, on the other hand, you buy in an established neighborhood, even if you live with a cliff face right behind you, as we did (house was built in 1959), you are nowhere near as likely to see them (or other displaced critters) coming indoors, because a certain balance and accommodation has been reached over time.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:07 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,409,050 times
Don't rule out a house for that reason. It's nothing that a little poison can't kill. Honestly, if you live in Texas, you NEED to have pest control. It doesn't have to be inside of the house, the organic companies will treat the perimeter which works!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I know I've posted on this topic ad nauseum, but it totally depends where you live as to whether you will encounter them. We built in the wildflower Park area of Circle C right next to the veloway and the year we lived in that house, we found 40 of them INSIDE our house between the months of April and October. Fortunately I was never stung (I too am
Scorpio so maybe they left me alone just like THL )

We went and looked at open houses last week and in one of the newer houses where they are still developing in the neighborhood, I opened a closet, and there one was taking a little nap. Needless to say, we are NOT interested in buying that house

Old 03-14-2009, 10:00 PM

7,984 posts, read 10,320,755 times
We live in Steiner Ranch and see a scorpion about once a month in the house. About half of those are dead in the light fixtures, but the rest are alive and well.

As far as tarantulas go, we have lived here for 4 years and seen about 4 tarantulas, all were outside (thank goodness).

But they are definitely around. Steiner is actually pretty far west and it's surrounded by preserve, so maybe we just have more of them here than in more populated areas closer to town.

And don't forget about the snakes....we have rattlesnakes and I have seen 2 coral snakes. We see rat snakes all the time, but they are harmless. Only one rat snake was in the garage (it was a small one). All the other snakes have been outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin