Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 02:14 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Central Market has a great cooking school too! Austin is a great place for foodies.
Oh, I'm am taking some classes when I move down! Is it expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 02:19 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,654 times
It was a ZOO yesterday. Officially, it sucks, no one should go there b/c I don't like risking my life in the parking lot with all the frustrated shoppers circling for parking.

Central Market is much more tranquil to me. They need to build another one or people need to start talking poorly about it.

Didn't you hear about worms being in the sea food?

Old 03-22-2009, 02:49 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Oh, I'm am taking some classes when I move down! Is it expensive?
Here ya go!

Central Market | Cooking School

Austin (Lamar Culinary Center) culinarycalendar | WholeFoodsMarket.com (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/lamar-culinarycenter/culinarycalendar.php - broken link)

Old 03-22-2009, 03:39 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Here ya go!

Central Market | Cooking School

Austin (Lamar Culinary Center) culinarycalendar | WholeFoodsMarket.com (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/lamar-culinarycenter/culinarycalendar.php - broken link)
Thanks so much!

Old 03-22-2009, 04:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
I've been shopping at Whole Foods since BEFORE it was the little store down the street from where it is now, where the Cheap CD's place is (or was last time I looked as I drove by). I rarely go to the downtown location now (I used to live right around the corner from it when it was in Brodie Oaks, before it moved to its first location downtown and Sun Harvest moved into its former location). Both because of the hassle of getting there, and because I prefer Central Market to Whole Paycheck. Yes, it is a trip, and everyone should go there at least once, and if you can manage to park, it's a good place to meet for a casual dinner before a movie or show or something, but Central Market on North Lamar is where I do my real foodie shopping.

There's the Central Market there, and there's the one on South Lamar just south of Ben White. Both are good, and they have the Very Best Flour Tortillas in town (among other things). Yes, there is a maze, but there's also a LOT of cut-throughs once you've been there a time or two and know where you want to go - you don't have to go through the whole maze. Makes it easy to make up your shopping list, though!

So, if you love Whole Foods, check out the original Central Market on North Lamar. You'll be glad you did. (Warning: it took a while before I could go in there without dropping a lot more money than I intended, on things that I didn't know existed until I got there but that I clearly just could not live without! I'm doing MUCH better now!)

Old 03-23-2009, 10:09 AM

468 posts, read 1,220,527 times
WOW! Cooking classes! anyone who has taken these please post a review.. wowowowow good food & cute girls it's like.. paradise^10..

(I took a several cooking classes in CA through adult education community college, pay $10 for the entire semester weekly class + $70 food cost, it's great for cooking indian because all the spices can be fresh ground and ass the bread made fresh etc.. and works out to less than $10 per gourmet dinner. i haven't found classes like this in TX so far.)

Old 03-23-2009, 10:26 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,574,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

So, if you love Whole Foods, check out the original Central Market on North Lamar. You'll be glad you did.
I often take out of town visitors to eat at the Central Market Cafe as the patio is a nice place to enjoy a nice day. Sometimes there is live music and there's also a nice playscape adjacent to the eating area. You can order your food without drinks and then go pick out some beer or wine from inside Central Market to have with your meal from the cafe.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:24 AM

44 posts, read 121,115 times
I go to Whole Foods when I have an out-of-town guest but do most of my grocery shopping at Central Market. Can't beat their coupons! It's usually the equivalent of $10 off my grocery bill every week (this past week it was free $10 worth of seafood). And at Christmas it's a free Wustof knife. If you don't get their coupons in the mail you can go to the guest services desk and ask to get on the mailing list.

For both places though: I love the idea of their cafes and food bars, but I'm always disappointed with the prepared food once I buy it. Can't they put more flavor in their food, especially for those prices?

Old 03-23-2009, 11:31 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corntortilla View Post
I go to Whole Foods when I have an out-of-town guest but do most of my grocery shopping at Central Market. Can't beat their coupons! It's usually the equivalent of $10 off my grocery bill every week (this past week it was free $10 worth of seafood). And at Christmas it's a free Wustof knife. If you don't get their coupons in the mail you can go to the guest services desk and ask to get on the mailing list.
Since you only have to spend $40 (before taking the coupon off), we get two sets of coupons and then split our order in half with the wife paying half and I pay the other so it's $20 off instead of $10 every week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin