U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:34 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,281,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkLaTexana View Post
Are there really a lot of boat makers in Austin?
Global economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 03:07 PM

24 posts, read 50,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Global economy?
Last post I wrote?

Old 03-23-2009, 03:10 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,524,161 times
Quote:
Last post I wrote?
just curious, do you live here/are you moving here?

Old 03-23-2009, 03:15 PM

24 posts, read 50,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
just curious, do you live here/are you moving here?
Are you going to stalk me, jobert?

Old 03-23-2009, 03:23 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,524,161 times
Quote:
Are you going to stalk me, jobert?
don't need to because you picked a horribly transparent and unoriginal name.

Your posts on this forum are trollish and bigoted.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:51 PM

2,082 posts, read 3,776,969 times
Realistic? The dow was up almost 500 today. The sky is falling!

Quote:
I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic. I think that we have way too many overpriced houses in the suburbs, and the only houses that will hold their value or increase in value are in the close in neighborhoods.

February Austin home sales drop 28% - Austin Business Journal: show an increase in home value but a drop in sales for February, which I didn't know. I had heard that :" single-family home sales and median home prices both fell compared with January 2008, decreasing 36 percent and 6 percent respectively."

What's wrong with fighting your property tax appraisal? Do you LIKE giving the City of Austin/Travis County more money to squander? Do you LIKE big government? You can send in a donation, then, I prefer small government, and you BET I will contest my appraisal (like I have every year).

Old 03-23-2009, 05:12 PM

8,241 posts, read 10,281,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Realistic? The dow was up almost 500 today. The sky is falling!
And?

You're like a dog with a bone. Go back and read my posts- I'm not being negative.

So, according to you we should all go out, charge up our credit cards buying a bunch of cr@p from Garden Ridge we don't need, get ARMs so we can buy a McMansion and get a 2nd mortgage to buy an Escalade?
Wake up, those days are OVER.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:23 PM

468 posts, read 750,416 times
when I was looking for places to live, I drove to georgetown. There's a bunch of large good-and-new-looking apartment complexes there that are "affordable living" i.e. low income housing. The income brackets seemed pretty low, i.e. low wage earners shouldn't have a problem living there? (Of course I dont come close to qualifying.) The lowest bracket I think was $22K/year and under. (?) Seems like the lowest hourly earners wage aren't hurting for a place to live with housing like that (of course there might be limited units, etc..)

In fact those couple complexes seemed like the only good apts. in georgetown.. (Except for the one "luxury" complex for the techie-type wage earners)

Old 03-23-2009, 07:29 PM

2,522 posts, read 3,650,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
I don't think there is any reason not to post about Austin recession, but don't hit us viewers over the head with it, like you have been. I like reading the things you post, just not 3-7 times daily is all.

I come here to read as much as I can about Austin. I have saved things like good car guy, good doctors,good places for BBQ. These things will be helpful when we do move there. I also like to read the good and the bad about the city, I want the truth and don't sugar coat it people.

The realtors on here are the worst imo, people will talk about house prices dropping in their neighborhoods big time or sitting for months on end.The realtors come on and say "ALL IS WELL" not to worry this is Austin (laugh) things are fine, housing market is doing great here. Some realtors do offer good advice and seem very nice, but I don't trust them when it comes to what is REALLY happening in the housing market there. I look at MLS listings just about daily and that is not what I'm seeing.

So post, just not all bad all the time and not everyday I like to hear what you have to say.

Debbie
As I said, please move...just be pragmatic and careful with timing......this just happens to be a really challenging year to relocate....you will compete with more relocatees than we ever have had in one year, du to the mass fleeing from the job markets in other regions.....at the same time, the job base in Austin is shrinking.......be careful is all....

Old 03-23-2009, 07:36 PM

2,522 posts, read 3,650,458 times
Quote:
Why does anyone complain about negative posters? So what? Is this supposed to be a Rosy Scenario board??

Austin will be fine because we have 2 major employers that won't ever go away- UT and state government. Will other sectors suffer? Absolutely. Tech is being hit hard, as are the creative industries and retail. I think tourism and hospitality industries will hold steady.

Austin is a strange city because there are a lot of independently wealthy people here who've cashed out businesses and homes when times were good and moved here for the weather, scene and etc.

Real estate and home values WILL go down (sorry RE agents) and hopefully appraisals will, too. I think the bubble nationwide will reinflate once more (hopefully, so that we can cash out our IRAs), but then after that will be trouble. I hate to ruin anyone's unicorns and rainbows, but our national debt is reaching the point of being unpayable back...and when China realizes it, we'll be selling off parts of the US to them.
True Mini.....just a harbinger of national trends and money flows is all you need to know per what is going on in Austin AND Texas......yes, Texas and Austin are iconoclastic, but they are more attached to the national/international money flows/finance than ever before....they catch the same cold when the international market sneezes........and, as an aside, if folks everywhere could stop thinking of their mortgage as an ATM machine, and started saving, we would ALL be infinitely better off, even in Austin...

I agree about the trust fund and wealthy bucks floating around......honestly, if I cashed out of a high-tech firm, or walked away from a real estate closing with a million, you can bet Austin would be a place I'd play/slum/eat chicken-fried steak at Shady's at......along with
Malibu, a beach house in San Diego, Key West, Ft. Lauderdale, Maui,
blah, blah, blah.........Austin's service workers should get on bended knee each night and thank god for all the disposable trust fund/investment income floating around Austin..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin