Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 07:55 PM

12 posts, read 20,415 times

Advertisements

I have read all the threads about different school districts and found some great threads, however, I have a couple more questions I am hoping folks can help me with. We are thinking about moving to Austin with an (incoming 2nd and 5th grader) in the summer. I am a IT project manager and my husband is home based and travels for his work. I am considering Eanes and Lake Travis as they seem top notch and very similar to the district my kids currently attend - I am committed to public schools for my children.

In your opinion:

-Which district has more families relocating from other places - with the assumption it is easier to make friends in a community where other people are looking to make new friends?

-We are not religious and do not attend church, would our kids feel left out and different?

-I understand Eanes has a very stable enrollment while Lake Travis is growing steadily. Is there any overcrowding in LT? or cutbacks in Eanes?

-Are there stereotypes I should be aware of to dive into further - for example - the district we are in now has a reputation around Portland as being snooty, but I find nothing can be further from the truth in reality.

-I find that much of my social life revolves around the school - auctions, volunteering etc. - is one district more known for parent involvement

Thank-you for your responses in advance, test scores only tell part of the story, I think the community is as if not more important then the test scores.

At this point I am not sure if we will buy right away, but if we do the range will be 400K-650K

Thanks! Leah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 06:13 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
How familiar are you with Austin/Texas? Coming from Portland, are you aware of the huge difference in weather between the two? Do you have a work location?

Old 01-05-2012, 07:55 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Long time resident of the area (since mid-1980s). Lived in the LT area most of that time and have always worked in Austin. My kids have gone through LTISD schools (one about to graduate) on to college.

My thoughts on Eanes vs. LTISD:

Eanes has a long standing reputation for excellence and I think it deserves it. The district is overwhelmingly white and wealthy. Enrollment is stable and the administration is generally respected though there have been occasional difficulties such as bond election failures. I am more familiar with the high school than the other campuses because my kids know a lot of Westlake HS kids through sports. The lack of enrollment growth is due to a nearly built-out district. Not much new construction and not as much turnover of properties as there is in higher growth areas of Travis county.

Stereotypes? Rich white kids and plenty of drugs. I believe the rich white kids part, but not so much the drugs part.

LTISD has changed significantly from a semi-rural ISD with 1 HS, 1 MS, and 1 ES in 1985 to 1 HS (larger), 2 MS, and 5 ES right now. Recent bond package will fold 1 MS into the HS (same property), add a MS, expand the other MS, and add an ES. The administration has changed dramatically over the years. Oustanding fiscal management (one of only 8 ISDs with AAA bond rating). District has improved from "Acceptable" rating years ago to "Exemplary" the last two years. The district continues to grow at a 5-7% rate the last few years as Travis county growth goes west. Tons of parent activity - whether PTA, athletic booster clubs, LTEF (fund raising), and just general volunteering on campus.

Demographics are more diverse than Eanes. Plenty of rich white kids, but more Hispanics and lower income families. Probably no more or less drugs in the schools than Eanes.

Stereotypes? Football-centric because of record setting 5 state championships in a row. Is it true? No. Academics are very strong, not quite as leading edge in high school as Eanes (no iPads for kids in LTISD). Strong arts and extracurricular all around.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 AM

662 posts, read 1,450,822 times
I would choose Eanes over Lake Travis. You can find a nice house with your budget, and you're closer to downtown. I think Eanes has a slight edge over LT as far as the quality of the school district as well.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:52 PM

326 posts, read 685,025 times
Both school districts seem to attract many people from out of the area because of the quality and reputation of the schools. I would give the edge to LT simply because it is growing and Eanes is stable.

Neither area would make you feel left out as far as religion goes.

Yes, LT is growing while Eanes is stable. Eanes shows no signs of drop offs in population so the student population should stay the same for the most part. Like I said, LT is growing.. Here are some things to think about regarding LT:

- LTHS has around 2230 students right now whereas Westlake HS has about 2400. Since LTHS is growing, LT's student population will surpass Westlake's soon. LT is expected to get much bigger. Will there be overcrowding? Not yet.. The current LTHS has a student capacity of 2500. With the growth rate that we have, LTHS will be overcrowded around 2013-14. However, like Hoffdano said, a huge bond just passed to expand the HS into the current LTMS (which is right next to the current LTHS) to make a 9th grade academy. That project won't be completed until later in the decade. However, when the expansion is completed, LTHS will have a student capacity of 3500. Therefore, LT will be a MUCH BIGGER HS than Westlake.

Both communities have a reputation similar to the one that you are currently living in - snooty. However, whichever one you choose to live in you will find that the people are generally nice and welcoming.

Both communities have EXCELLENT parental involvement so no worries there - you will feel right at home.

If you are looking for a stable community with a great reputation that's close to downtown, I would go with Eanes. You will be able to find something really nice there that's in your budget.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:27 PM

Although I am positive about LTISD, I do not think bigger is something to brag about. If the district could afford it, I would rather have two smaller high schools than one big one.

LTISD has land for another high school. They probably won't even start to look at it until 2020. By then a new high school will cost more than $200M. Eventually LTISD will add a high school, which will probably last them a long long time.

Old 01-05-2012, 11:04 PM

I respect Hoffdano's opinion. However, I hope a new high school never happens. Two high schools completely split up a community. All of the outstanding success that we've had - you can say goodbye to that!

If there is ever a bond in LTISD that includes a second high school, I will definitely be voting no. Also, if such a bond is passed, I will be moving and will not be looking back.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:12 AM

295 posts, read 1,179,151 times
Hi there

I just moved home to Austin from Portland in August. You will notice a significant difference in a lot of things - the weather being one but I love being home in Texas so the heat here does not bother me at all.

Regarding the schools. We are living in Round Rock after living in Sherwood (south of Portland). The schools have more diversity - that I think is great because kids need to be exposed to the diversity. Also, I have noticed that in a lot of schools there is not a lot of parent involvement so the more involved you can be, the better. Personally, I have not found a huge difference in the way that my daughter is being taught. She is in 2nd grade and is about to be tested for Talented and Gifted (something that would not happen in Oregon until 4th grade). I like that the schools here seem to have a ton of activities for the kids.

In general, I can say to just be careful what area you look at because the schools do vary greatly by districts and areas. Don't just check on the schools that the kids would be going to now - also look at the schools that they feed in to.

Good luck!

Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravisAlum View Post
I respect Hoffdano's opinion. However, I hope a new high school never happens. Two high schools completely split up a community. All of the outstanding success that we've had - you can say goodbye to that!

If there is ever a bond in LTISD that includes a second high school, I will definitely be voting no. Also, if such a bond is passed, I will be moving and will not be looking back.
I respectfully disagree. Do you want a high school with 4000 students like Plano? Huge high schools can isolate kids and weaken their bond with the student body and administration. Two 2000 student high schools would have two football teams, two volleyball teams, two theater groups, two debate teams, two jazz bands, etc. There is twice the opportunity for participation by kids. Smaller schools generally have less crime.

It is your choice of course when the time comes to vote on something like that. But education will likely be better with two non-huge high schools and almost all the data shows it. The district's geographic dimensions (from Briarcliff all the way to Hudson Bend Rd.) are not well served by a single high school long term. Most of the growth is "west" towards Spicewood and Briarcliff.

The 2004 bond allocated the funds for land, which is already acquired. They have land for future centralized common facilities (such as a single larger gym).

The Lake Travis community's health and well being is not tied to the single high school.

Boerne (outside San Antonio) recently split high schools. Boerne ISD is an academic focused school district and they made a smart choice to preseve education quality. You can see too that Vandegrift high school has rapidly formed its own identity and will get even stronger over time.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I respectfully disagree. Do you want a high school with 4000 students like Plano? Huge high schools can isolate kids and weaken their bond with the student body and administration. Two 2000 student high schools would have two football teams, two volleyball teams, two theater groups, two debate teams, two jazz bands, etc. There is twice the opportunity for participation by kids. Smaller schools generally have less crime.

It is your choice of course when the time comes to vote on something like that. But education will likely be better with two non-huge high schools and almost all the data shows it. The district's geographic dimensions (from Briarcliff all the way to Hudson Bend Rd.) are not well served by a single high school long term. Most of the growth is "west" towards Spicewood and Briarcliff.

The 2004 bond allocated the funds for land, which is already acquired. They have land for future centralized common facilities (such as a single larger gym).

The Lake Travis community's health and well being is not tied to the single high school.

Boerne (outside San Antonio) recently split high schools. Boerne ISD is an academic focused school district and they made a smart choice to preseve education quality. You can see too that Vandegrift high school has rapidly formed its own identity and will get even stronger over time.
Honestly, I like how the DFW area has built their schools. Communities like Allen, Plano, etc. with big schools are great communities with strong extra curricular programs because of the huge involvement due to the large amount of kids. The academics are still very strong in those communities also. There's no reason why students can't still learn in a great environment if the school has the capacity for it. If there is enough classrooms, then the student to teacher ratio shouldn't change much as compared to a smaller school.

Southlake Carroll ISD technically has one high school, but they have two campuses - one for 9th and 10th grade and one for 11th and 12th grade. This is absolutely the best of both worlds because it is two campuses so the student population at each will be small, but extra curriculars and a community would not be split up. I pray that LTISD might think of this option when the time comes, but sadly I don't see them being able to make a smart decision like this.

I'm aware that LTISD has acquired land for a possible second high school and such. As I said earlier, it would be great if that land could be used for a possible 9th and 10th grade center. Right now LTISD is making the current HS expand into the current MS to make a 9th grade academy. That's great! When the time comes they need to keep the LT community together.

Vandegrift HS was formed because the residents in Steiner Ranch wanted their own HS. There have been rumors that in the future, Vandegrift HS will sever all ties with Leander ISD and create their own one HS district - smart.

All of this is just my opinion, and I don't want to offend anybody with my views on how a school system should work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin