Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 05:08 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,968,712 times

Advertisements

I don't want to appear to hijack that other thread about solar panels but it did spark a question.

What do solar screens do?

Please and thankyou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 06:01 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,800,906 times
Solar screens are dark black mesh screens you put on windows/french doors/skylights that can block up to 90% or so of the heat coming in, while still allowing light. That reduces your A/C costs. Austin Energy offers rebates for them... we had them installed for about $1200, and the check we got from the rebate was something like $380 or so.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:51 PM

3,202 posts, read 5,988,680 times
If you go into any Starbucks, they are standard glass windows (except north-facing). Mechoshade is the motorized version. They don't blend well with traditional architecture, though. I would recommend plantation shutters or wood blinds in older houses.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:07 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,857,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
If you go into any Starbucks, they are standard glass windows (except north-facing). Mechoshade is the motorized version. They don't blend well with traditional architecture, though. I would recommend plantation shutters or wood blinds in older houses.
Plantation shutters or wood blinds on the interior side of the window are not as effective at keeping the house cool, because they allow the solar radiation go pass thru the glass. It then turns to heat when it hits any surface.

Solar screens block most of the radiation on the exterior side of the glass so it never has a chance to heat things up on the interior.

They look like a black or dark grey screen over the windows, I don't find them to be objectionable unless you really like seeing the window mullions. Most people never even notice them.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:54 PM

41 posts, read 233,556 times
In order for them to reject 90%, they have to be very dark. Every time it rains you lose the view outside. They are installed on the exterior of the building and will change the appearance of the house. They are not designed to block UV. From what I understand they have a five year warranty. If you look at older screens they are grey meaning they are losing their capability of rejecting solar energy.

Solar control window film on the other hand

Old 04-09-2009, 02:18 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,857,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talltinter View Post
In order for them to reject 90%, they have to be very dark. Every time it rains you lose the view outside. They are installed on the exterior of the building and will change the appearance of the house. They are not designed to block UV. From what I understand they have a five year warranty. If you look at older screens they are grey meaning they are losing their capability of rejecting solar energy.

Solar control window film on the other hand
We have solar screens on most of the windows on our house and do not have any trouble seeing outside when it rains.

I also do not believe they wear out as you have suggested. This
solar Screen website says they should have a 20-30 year life and they warranty them for as long as you own the house. What are Solar Screens (http://www.rcglassandwindows.com/screen_text.htm - broken link)

Twice in the last year I have come across people who thought they needed to replace their solar screens every 5 years or so. I do not believe that is correct and have not found any data to back that up.

Here is another manufacturer that says

Quote:
14. How long will my solar screens last?
StarShade solar screens are warranted for as long as you live in your home. However, 20-30 years is a realistic life expectancy.
http://www.starshade.biz/aboutus.html#long

Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 PM

72,817 posts, read 62,152,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Solar screens are dark black mesh screens you put on windows/french doors/skylights that can block up to 90% or so of the heat coming in, while still allowing light. That reduces your A/C costs. Austin Energy offers rebates for them... we had them installed for about $1200, and the check we got from the rebate was something like $380 or so.
That is a good way to "green" up your home. Use less energy and keep cool at the same time.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:30 PM

302 posts, read 687,839 times
Hi guys, bringing this one back up from the depths of the city data archives!

Do you guys think this is the most efficient way to block heat from the house? I never knew about these until this weekend, when a neighbor mentioned them.

Any real drawbacks to the screens?

Also, are there better alternatives out there? I did recently install some thermal curtains in one room (they work great!), but those block all light.

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2012, 04:51 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,601,067 times
We've had ours for several years for them and they work GREAT at keeping the heat out. We've had no drawbacks and they are still in good shape.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:34 PM

597 posts, read 1,311,711 times
I'd like to hear from more people too, I've thought of putting those tint screens on the windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: