Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 09:51 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times

Advertisements

News 8 Austin | 24 Hour Local News | TOP STORIES

Thought I'd spread some love to Hutto.

I am fascinated by the rapid development of the towns around Austin (when I moved here the population of Round Rock was about 5000 people!).

In the 2000 census Hutto had 1,250 people! Now the unofficial count is about 17,000. Wow. Rapid growth can bring problems but overall I believe that it is easier to manage the problems of growth than it is to manage the problems of population loss and economic decline.

I wonder what the town will be like in 2020?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 01:18 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Hopefully we'll have lots of new businesses, and also that many of them are locally owned. A lot of people around here like shopping local as opposed to chains even though we do have chain stores.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:45 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Does Hutto have a downtown or town square? Locally-owned businesses tend to do well in those smaller spaces (compared to huge and soul-less strip developments) and it creates a great walkable space.

I would think that there were be a tremendous demand for services -- lawn care, plumbers, electricians, as well as coffee shops, cafes, copy shops. Are there many "old-time" services around? In my part of south austin there are still many locksmiths, shoe repair places, tailors, and cleaners that have been in the same location for 30 plus years and who survived all the rapid development (usually because they owned the land under their shop or had a landlord who wasn't interested in selling).

Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Yes, it does. It's on the small side but has a locally owned cafe called The Texan, which was recently written up in Texas Monthly as one of the top 40 small town Texas Cafes using fresh ingredients and also got first place in pies. There is also a locally owned flower shop, Dragonfly Floral and Gifts. There is also a gift shop, dentist office, a private residence (downtown in one of the old buildings), the local newspaper office, law and insurance offices and a small museum. There is also another little Mexican restaurant. Many of the old houses immediately surrounding the downtown have been rezoned for residential/commercial and some of the new residents of those are a car audio shop, antique store/gift shop (sells garden and wrought iron items), Chiropractor, eye doctor, a bed and breakfast, Hill Country Bible Church Central Offices, a locally owned dry cleaners (Guthrie's), The library, a day care, a 2nd Mexican restaurant, and a tax office. Across from 1660 are several other businesses and restaurants and even across 79. I think the only chains we have are Sonic, McDonald's, Chili's, Taco Bell, Home Depot, Lowes, Papa Johns,Holiday Inn, Gold'n Chick, Dollar General, Subway and Quiznos and Auto Zone. Everything else around here is locally owned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin