U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-21-2009, 12:21 PM

7 posts, read 27,488 times

Advertisements

Hey I am actually doing both!!!
I enrolled in school 28 days after being layed off.. and The state of texas just sent out a letter stating that if you are unempl. you have access to training grants and pell grants in the amount of 5000 dollars to help get employ. at www.opportunity.gov you can do both but you have to put looking for a job priority and let them know you would be willing to take any job if offered even if it ment you quiting school.. b/c that what they will ask you.. they do delay your unempl. for a little while by like a week or so .. so that someone can give you a phone interview to ask you these question and what times you go to school and if it interfers with your job searching
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 7,965 times
you can go to school while recieving unemployment income.....as long as you seek employment each week. I am currently going to school to complete my BBA after being laid off from my job downsizing....as long as I apply for 2 jobs per week I will continue to recieve my unemployment. this is a fact....no question about it. I have been recieving it now for 9 months....hope this helps...

there are some courses where you do not have to seek employment while attending school but I have been told not for a BBA. or my masters.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:28 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,529,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unemployed and in college View Post
you can go to school while recieving unemployment income.....as long as you seek employment each week. I am currently going to school to complete my BBA after being laid off from my job downsizing....as long as I apply for 2 jobs per week I will continue to recieve my unemployment. this is a fact....no question about it. I have been recieving it now for 9 months....hope this helps...

there are some courses where you do not have to seek employment while attending school but I have been told not for a BBA. or my masters.
Isn't the purpose of unemployment to serve as a "safety net" until you can find a new job. If you have no intention of finding a job because you are going to school, then aren't you cheating the system?

You say you are doing the bare minimum to stay on unemployment (applying for 2 jobs a week) but you have no intention of taking those jobs if they extend an offer to you. That is not the intended purpose of unemployment. That's like saying you aren't cheating on your wife if you are in different time zone. Just because you found a way to work around the system doesn't mean you are doing the right thing.

You have been on unemployment for 9 months with no intention of getting a job. Kudos to you for going to school, but self improvement needs to be done on your own dime, not the governments. I wonder how many people were unable to get on unemployment who desperately needed the help, who would dilligently look for a job, but they can't because you are taking up their slot.

You are basically telling people to cheat the system in order to get ahead. You are what is wrong with the world my friend. Do you also go onto internet forms and tell people "make sure to cheat on your taxes, here is how you can get away with it..".

I support the welfare system because while it is flawed, is the most moral logical solution for the inescapable human condition known as poverty.

You on the other hand are like the lazy person who is perfectly capable of supporting their children, but decides to be on welfare because it is just easier than finding a job. People like you cause me to momentarily doubt my liberal ideals. Way to be like a piglet sucking on the teet of government. And when you get a great new job with your new BBA, you will probably be the first person in line to vote against any new taxes to support the poor.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:35 AM

0 posts, read 7,769 times
@jay brown he is not cheating the system becuz if he is offered a job he has to take it and if he denies it his unemployment money stops. he say says "as long as I apply for 2 jobs per week I will continue to recieve my unemployment" that is his state requirement he never says he only applies for 2 he could be applying for more than 2 a week. before you go blowing off on ppl and reading into there msg and making it ur own judgement maybe u should of asked him certain questions instead of attacking him for giving some advice to someone who asked for it.

to the person who asked the original question ur going to have to goole unemployment for your state it will give you all the guide lines you need to follow

im getting out of ther army and when taking VA and unemployment courses they tell you if they do not ask about you going to school you dont have to tell them you just have to meet there requirements which is be available to any job offered to you and report to them weekly with the job searches you have to do to maintain your weekly benefits.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:14 PM

957 posts, read 2,437,794 times
I've been in your shoes before and while they will grill you, you technically can receive benefits. As many have pointed out, you must be actively searching for work and you CANNOT turn down a job b/c it conflicts with school. That's what student loans are for. I remember when I applied for benefits and they asked if I was a student, I was honest and it opened up a can of worms. The person assigned to me grilled me to no end about my school schedule and how I was sure I would be able to work full time if offered a position. No lie-I even had to get a professor write them a letter or call them (don't remember which) to tell them I would be allowed to change my schedule to attend night school. To be frank, they don't take kindly to students since some do abuse the system. Either way, if you attend night class and can work, you should be fine.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:02 PM

1,618 posts, read 4,395,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Unemployment is to aid you while you search for work, if you aren't searching for work then you won't get unemployment. You might want to try for a student loan which would pay for your necessities as well as your tuition. There are so many people out there who are trying to find work, unemployment can't be for everyone. It was your decision to not go back to work and get your MBA. Just an honest opinion.
Perfect answer!

Old 09-17-2010, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 6,871 times
I'm not sure about Texas, but in Mississippi a person can receive unemployment benefits and attend school full-time and is not required to do weekly work search activities. So, I don't see why Texas would not be able to do it. Mississippi will even pay for a person's education if they are a dislocated worker. Theoretically, isn't going to school full-time considered a work-search activity????

Old 02-04-2011, 02:22 PM

5 posts, read 22,943 times
If all this is true then why does TWC offer and pay for you to go to school while on unemployment????

Old 02-04-2011, 02:30 PM

5 posts, read 22,943 times
You know that man (with TWC) was trying to trick me by saying "your only looking for part time work" and I told him I was looking for BOTH! He then said "so you wont quit school if you went back to work" and I said NO, I will do both if I have too!

Old 02-06-2011, 08:23 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,780,114 times
Wow, that was interesting about Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin