Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 07:57 AM

34 posts, read 43,675 times

Advertisements

We had a couple tornadoes here in Brooklyn, NY the last one was the one that was an F3 that destroyed parts of the shore (coney island area) and ripped roofs, and bricks and balconies off of buildings. Upstate we get a lot of them as well, but the woods seems to offer more protection up there in the Catskills than the valley where there seems to be tons of damage.

I am going to look into buying us a storm shelter as I'm terrified of tornadoes, but love love love the thunderstorms that sometimes precede them! Especially in the woods!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 08:00 AM

34 posts, read 43,675 times
I agree because in So Cal, just a tremor would freak everyone out... its just the devastation that it leaves behind and we just don't know whats going to happen if the shocks will stop, intensify or if a big one will hit in a few days. I agree, I don't know which is worse. I never lived in tx, but know NE tornadoes very well, Upstate and Downstate NY.

I hate earthquakes. You seem so powerless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmiguel View Post
You are safer in Texas than you would be in a place like California. Residents there are sitting on veritable time bombs given the faultlines which scientists are predicting are due for devastating earthquakes. Tornadoes can be lethal to those immediately impacted but earthquakes inflict much more widespread damage. I've seen both and will take my chances here in Austin over the West Coast.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:55 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artistic Avi View Post
My phone makes this hard to edit but I was surprised that having shelters for homes is not common place in Texas. Maybe it's not the hardest hit for tornados but it sees enough of them that I can't imagine not having one if I lived there. My fiance and I are considering moving there but my biggest reasons not to would probably be tornadoes and the overly humid and overly hot summer weather. We have gray wet winters in Seattle but great summer weather, very low humidity, very little rain, and temps mostly in the high 70's and low 80's. Couldn't imagine better summer weather.

Unfortunately housing is expensive here and cost of living but in Texas it's cheap and my fiances rate of pay in comparison to cost of living and housing would be better in Austin. So maybe we'll give Austin a go but I'm going to insist on us having a storm shelter.
Having a storm shelter built in the Austin area can be difficult since the ground is made of limestone. That's why you will not see hardly any basements or storm shelters around here. Also Austin rarely gets hit by tornadoes. Your more prone to see wildfires of flooding than to see a tornado.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:21 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,327 times
So this winter was pretty cold, I had to scrape ice from the car half a dozen times.

A trace of snow fell once this winter, it was a dusting.

This apparently was the worst winter in quite some time.

Old 05-11-2014, 02:53 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Having lived in Austin for 33 years, I can only think of tornados occuring inside the city limits 3 times, only one of those touched down and did some minor roof damage to a few houses.

Temperatures dip down below freezing a few nights per year, this last year probably had double that number. It is usually at night, we rarely have freezing weather during daylight hours.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:13 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
One would have to be a statistician to figure out where one is safest from natural disasters in the US, so I would not venture to compare TX and CA. California has earthquakes, can get wildfires and hills sliding (both of which have a component of increased risk due to the actions of the population,) but has very few tornadoes and lightning strikes. Maybe there is a slight risk of tsunamis along the coast, but most of coastal California is no longer volcanically active, so that is not a big risk. So Texas has tornadoes, but northern Austin seems to be right at the edge of Tornado Alley. And of course Texas there is the heat. Flooding is a factor because rain storms can be heavy. Also there is risk from hurricanes on the coast, but they are mostly good for Austin because they bring rain. So pick your poison, as my Aunt used to say. Live where you are most comfortable, including the type of natural disasters that could happen. Personally, it seems to me that Florida has to be right up there on dangerous places to live in the US. They have hurricanes, humidity as well as heat, wild fires, and they are the lightning capitol of America. But no place is immune from disasters.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 1,744 times
Austin gets an average of 5 tornadoes per year. Usually they are low intensity (Cat 0 or 1) but the Jarrell Cat 5 tornado proved that they can get severe.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:17 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley_crain View Post
Austin gets an average of 5 tornadoes per year. Usually they are low intensity (Cat 0 or 1) but the Jarrell Cat 5 tornado proved that they can get severe.
Only ten times in the last 50 years has there been 5 or more tornadoes a year in the Austin area, so hard pressed to see how the average is 5. Half of those years -- 25 -- there have been 1 or zero, so again, tough to see the average getting to 5.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:46 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Only ten times in the last 50 years has there been 5 or more tornadoes a year in the Austin area, so hard pressed to see how the average is 5. Half of those years -- 25 -- there have been 1 or zero, so again, tough to see the average getting to 5.
I too am real skeptical of that 5 a year number. I don't think there have been 5 in the last 38 years that I have lived here.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:59 PM

300 posts, read 414,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I too am real skeptical of that 5 a year number. I don't think there have been 5 in the last 38 years that I have lived here.
Agree. I have not seen a real one in past 32 years in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin