Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
You know, when I think of most livable, I think of cities with the high quality of life. With that said, there are many other cities that qualify for the list (Boston, San Francisco and if they add Canada, Vancouver and Toronto). Of course, this is Forbes. I wouldn't expect them to make an accurate list.
There is no such thing as an accurate list. Just look at the cities you mentioned, do you think everyone or even most people would agree with you. You assessment of best cities is based on your idea of quality of life. Why would you put someplace like SFO on this list for instance? I am not bashing the city, it is a great place to visit and offers a lot of positives, but quality of life is in the eyes of the beholder.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 10:49 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
The shear numbers of illegal immigrant population, made Austin undesirable.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:08 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
You know, when I think of most livable, I think of cities with the high quality of life. With that said, there are many other cities that qualify for the list (Boston, San Francisco and if they add Canada, Vancouver and Toronto). Of course, this is Forbes. I wouldn't expect them to make an accurate list.
Yeah most livable depends on your criteria. If cost of living is real important then you definitely wouldn't put SF or Boston on the list because those cities are pretty expensive. If you don't care much about the cost of living you would put these cities on the list because they have high quality. So it just depends on how much you're willing to pay for a house. SF is one of my favorite cities. The city looks very good, the weather is very good but the cost of living is real high.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The shear numbers of illegal immigrant population, made Austin undesirable.
If this is the case then LA will never, ever make the list.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:57 AM

58 posts, read 127,140 times
i live in madison and its a great city but it has 2 major problems. Th city itself is sometimes to progressive for its own good wasting time and money that could be better spend on the citizens and the other major problem is WINTER. Its damn cold here in January. We are actually coming to Austin this week to see about relocating there since were sick of winter. Anybody want to trade houses ( im only 1/2 way kidding. I really would conisder a trade )

Old 05-31-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdking647 View Post
i live in madison and its a great city but it has 2 major problems. Th city itself is sometimes to progressive for its own good wasting time and money that could be better spend on the citizens and the other major problem is WINTER. Its damn cold here in January. We are actually coming to Austin this week to see about relocating there since were sick of winter. Anybody want to trade houses ( im only 1/2 way kidding. I really would conisder a trade )
Yeah it seems most people prefer the long, hot summers to the long, cold winters. If you look at the last several decades a lot of people in the north have been moving south and west. 100 years from now the north is going to be like a ghost town and the south is going to be crowded. After that the people will probably start going north again to get the cheap real estate prices.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:48 PM

58 posts, read 127,140 times
winter never really bothered me until the last couple of years. the last 2 years have been rough though. 2 years ago we had 100" of snow and last winter it was -20 without the windchill. Winter won and so we are leaving. Possibly Austin,possibly Phoenix,possibly ????. this week we will be in Austin to check it out and look at houses

Old 05-31-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdking647 View Post
winter never really bothered me until the last couple of years. the last 2 years have been rough though. 2 years ago we had 100" of snow and last winter it was -20 without the windchill. Winter won and so we are leaving. Possibly Austin,possibly Phoenix,possibly ????. this week we will be in Austin to check it out and look at houses
I live in Houston. Most people in Texas and nationwide like Austin the best out of all the Texas cities so Austin is probably a pretty good choice. Austin consistently ranks at the top with Boston, San Francisco and Seattle. The advantage Austin has though is it's in Texas so it's low cost of living. Seattle, San Francisco and Boston are all pretty expensive. So out of the top ranked cities Austin is the only one that is relatively cheap. A good place being cheap you just can't beat that deal. Most of the time good places are real expensive.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:25 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Austin is not cheap to live!!

We were ranked right under NY city, as the most expensive cities to live in, just a couple of years ago.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:52 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Austin is not cheap to live!!

We were ranked right under NY city, as the most expensive cities to live in, just a couple of years ago.
Who did the ranking. Please cite your source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin