Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:22 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
That's very true, but not unexpected. Also, my husband and I have lived in Cozumel, and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, so we're not unfamiliar with both HOT and HUMID! This is one reason I had to have a neighborhood with amenities like a community pool!
Well anyone that can stand the humidity in Cozumel can stand anything..We have cruised there too many times to count and in every season, it is always miserable (humidity that is, the rest of it I love)

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 01:33 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,090 times
nice write up, i hope to be moving to RR or Georgetown next year, hope that their is a small town feel up that way too, i will commute via the new train from Leander

Old 04-07-2009, 01:47 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Good to hear your review and that you like it

Old 04-07-2009, 03:39 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Georgetown definitely has the small town feel. Round Rock in some places does.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:54 PM

739 posts, read 3,056,324 times
Pflugerville has a small town feel too. I like this town.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:09 PM

18 posts, read 36,184 times
Quote:
First off, I am so glad I made the move from Orange County, CA to the Austin area.

Everybody seems to be feeling Austin. I can't say I've come across one complaint about the city. Hmmm . I stay about 50-60 minutes away from austin. Austin's okay, but my ideal state has always been NY . I'll probably visit there one day, but I don't think I'll ever move there. It's waaaay too expensive . I'm still in the process of looking for cities to move to. Everyone always seem to hate something about a city. It's hard to know who's opinion to trust! I swear I didn't think deciding on where I wanted to live would be so darn complicated, lol. I always thought that this would be the easiest part-- but it's clearly not.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:19 AM

428 posts, read 1,064,668 times
That's awesome to know you're digging it. I lived in The OC for a brief time before moving here and still can't shake the shock of going from an ocean view to a wasteland. I miss trees & water!

What other towns did you consider and what did you find to be the pros & cons of each?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:56 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
That's awesome to know you're digging it. I lived in The OC for a brief time before moving here and still can't shake the shock of going from an ocean view to a wasteland. I miss trees & water!

What other towns did you consider and what did you find to be the pros & cons of each?
I hear you... But, first off, AZ is the desert. Not quite a wasteland, depending on where you live, but the desert appeals to many for its unique biodiversity. The area around Austin is not that way at all. There are trees, lakes, hills, rivers, creeks, etc... I live in an area which is pretty flat, but lots of fields around, and right now, it's very green. We have a large green back lawn rather than a rockscape common to AZ. That might be one thing.

Since I lived in both Cozumel, and Cabo, OC's coastline, although beautiful, can't compare. I like to SCUBA tropical waters, not surf, so CA waters aren't for me anyway (although I made an exception to dive off Catalina Island). But now that I'm usually driving the little ones to their extracurricular activities on the weekends rather than hitting the slopes or catching a wave anyway, suburban life fits me well right now. I really think that every place has its charm, and the more I travel, the less I feel uncomfortable anywhere. I'm a world citizen, and may move on after my kids are grown. But for right now, Austin is most-definitely it!

I think there are many great places in the surrounding Austin areas, and by no means am I an expert. But my financial situation is such that I couldn't spend more than $1200/mo, hoping to buy in a year for under $200K, but wanted a new to 5 yr old construction with at least 2000 square feet to house my family of 4. Of course, I was looking for a safe neighborhood as well. The best fits for me with that criteria were Pflugerville (Falcon Pointe) and Hutto (Riverwalk). But I did also look at Cedar Park Town Center ($ buys you 1 less bedroom and no gameroom there, and I didn't like the rear-entry garage/no backyard), and Round Rock (Turtle Creek - again 3 beds, and I did like this neighborhood, but the school in that neighborhood isn't necessarily any better than Hutto ISD - not all RRISD schools perform at the same level). And I felt I preferred to be in a new neighborhood in a less developed area rather than be in a lower-end area in either RR or CP. I'm happy with my decision.

I wasn't able to trek West or South, and I'm sure there are beautiful places out that way too. Since I'm a commuter, I fell in love with 130 and that played a major part in my location decision.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:39 AM

428 posts, read 1,064,668 times
Quote:
I hear you... But, first off, AZ is the desert. Not quite a wasteland, depending on where you live, but the desert appeals to many for its unique biodiversity.
Don't get me wrong, AZ definitely has some absolutely gorgeous areas. Where we live now is far nicer than where we first lived here. I went from listening to the surf in San Clemente, where I could see Catalina Island from my kitchen & back porch, to a small subdivision here surrounded by undeveloped land that had been annexed by developers (so it was basically just acres and acres of dirt), and a rundown neighborhood built in the 70s. So, the first few weeks gave me the "first impression" that Phoenix was basically a lot of wasteland. Unfortunately, first impressions are sometimes hard to shake...

Now, when you get into Ahwatukee or Cave Creek or parts of the far west valley, it's much more scenic and less wasteland-ish. And nothing on earth compares to Sedona. It's stunning.

Quote:
The area around Austin is not that way at all. There are trees, lakes, hills, rivers, creeks, etc...
That sure does sound nice right about now, after it hit 95* here yesterday and today will be dust storms and high straight-line winds.

Quote:
I live in an area which is pretty flat, but lots of fields around, and right now, it's very green. We have a large green back lawn rather than a rockscape common to AZ. That might be one thing.

Since I lived in both Cozumel, and Cabo, OC's coastline, although beautiful, can't compare. I like to SCUBA tropical waters, not surf, so CA waters aren't for me anyway (although I made an exception to dive off Catalina Island). But now that I'm usually driving the little ones to their extracurricular activities on the weekends rather than hitting the slopes or catching a wave anyway, suburban life fits me well right now. I really think that every place has its charm, and the more I travel, the less I feel uncomfortable anywhere. I'm a world citizen, and may move on after my kids are grown. But for right now, Austin is most-definitely it!

I think there are many great places in the surrounding Austin areas, and by no means am I an expert. But my financial situation is such that I couldn't spend more than $1200/mo, hoping to buy in a year for under $200K, but wanted a new to 5 yr old construction with at least 2000 square feet to house my family of 4. Of course, I was looking for a safe neighborhood as well. The best fits for me with that criteria were Pflugerville (Falcon Pointe) and Hutto (Riverwalk). But I did also look at Cedar Park Town Center ($ buys you 1 less bedroom and no gameroom there, and I didn't like the rear-entry garage/no backyard), and Round Rock (Turtle Creek - again 3 beds, and I did like this neighborhood, but the school in that neighborhood isn't necessarily any better than Hutto ISD - not all RRISD schools perform at the same level). And I felt I preferred to be in a new neighborhood in a less developed area rather than be in a lower-end area in either RR or CP. I'm happy with my decision.

I wasn't able to trek West or South, and I'm sure there are beautiful places out that way too. Since I'm a commuter, I fell in love with 130 and that played a major part in my location decision.
We haven't really looked at Hutto or Pflugerville, but have concentrated more on Georgetown, Liberty Hill, Leander etc. And I think we'll be staying in Cedar Park Town Center when we visit in a few weeks, as our friends house is just as you describe that neighborhood.

I can see your point about commuting and getting more bang for the buck, though. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:14 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
Don't get me wrong, AZ definitely has some absolutely gorgeous areas. Where we live now is far nicer than where we first lived here. I went from listening to the surf in San Clemente, where I could see Catalina Island from my kitchen & back porch, to a small subdivision here surrounded by undeveloped land that had been annexed by developers (so it was basically just acres and acres of dirt), and a rundown neighborhood built in the 70s. So, the first few weeks gave me the "first impression" that Phoenix was basically a lot of wasteland. Unfortunately, first impressions are sometimes hard to shake...

Now, when you get into Ahwatukee or Cave Creek or parts of the far west valley, it's much more scenic and less wasteland-ish. And nothing on earth compares to Sedona. It's stunning.

That sure does sound nice right about now, after it hit 95* here yesterday and today will be dust storms and high straight-line winds.

We haven't really looked at Hutto or Pflugerville, but have concentrated more on Georgetown, Liberty Hill, Leander etc. And I think we'll be staying in Cedar Park Town Center when we visit in a few weeks, as our friends house is just as you describe that neighborhood.

I can see your point about commuting and getting more bang for the buck, though. Thanks for sharing.
Sounds good.
Don't do what I did - take the time to check out East RR/Pflugerville/Hutto border area. You have a lot more open space for less money out here, and LESS TRAFFIC and fewer people! Falcon Pointe, the Reserve at Westcreek, Riverwalk subdivisions are great for the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin