U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 01:29 PM

16,520 posts, read 23,015,072 times

Advertisements

Kelly, was that Walburg? Great food! Also had an astoundingly good tilapia for lunch at Wildflower this past week on the lunch special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 03:00 PM

107 posts, read 153,563 times
Yes, We had a blast! Good job! I have eaten at Wildfire, Nona's, Dos Salsas and Dia's Thai. All of these are around the square. I enjoyed all of them. Are you in Georgetown as well? If you are, we have a lot in common, well except the horses. I hope we can meet one day. Kelly

Old 09-27-2009, 03:09 PM

My office is in Georgetown and I work there a lot (all over the Austin area, really). Have you tried Mariachis de Jalisco? Not on the square, but on your way from Sun City to the square. A new place just opened up in downtown Jarrell, Cafe Amanda, last Friday, we had breakfast Saturday morning and it was not only more than I could eat of GOOD food and plenty to make my husband feel fed until well after lunchtime, in a very nice setting, but it was less than $10 for the two of us. We'll be going back to try dinner - apparently they serve Italian.

Old 09-27-2009, 03:17 PM

107 posts, read 153,563 times
No, I have not tried either. I have lived in Georgetown about a year. So, I still have territory to explore. I will look for them. I did go to Andice on Friday and had a hamburger at the store there. WOW, I could easily turn into a blimp if I keep eating at all these wonderful places. We took a ride in a friend’s convertible and loved the ride. It was absolutely gorgeous and the weather was perfect. I forgot all about paying property taxes for the day. lol

Old 05-25-2010, 08:22 PM

4 posts, read 5,458 times
Well I can comment on these subjects. I dont consider the workout centers very crowded. But that is only my opinion. I do go from time to time as I do live in sun city georgetown, however I am also a member of Golds gym as the one in sun city doesnt have barbells that go over 50 pounds, plus i am in need of more equipment. Dont get me wrong, they have some state of the art cardio equipment, the lastest stuff. And plenty enough resistance weight machines for someone like myself. I am 48 male and 200 pounds. The new fitness center did open a couple weeks ago and I went over and looked at it, nobody wes there working out at all , it is also not as big as the other one when it comes to the weights, however it does have an upstairs walk/jog trail around the whole bldg where you can look outside of the huge windows and see the nice hills of the area. Anyway back to the crowd issue, I guess it depends on what time you go and all of that. I have gone and had to wait a couple minutes behind only one person for a machine, and thenb i have gone at other times and hardly anyone there. I have been staying here with my mother who lives here. My main complaint about Sun City is tha fact that its 10 miles off of interstate 35 and takes a while to get there, and then if you wanna go to downtown austin thats another half hour drive or 45 minutes, depends on conditions etc. And that has made my gasoline bill go waaaay up!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:46 PM

The entrance to Sun City on Del Webb Blvd. is 5.1 from IH35 (my office is right next to the entrance). On the other exit, on 195, it's 3.1 miles to I35 from Sun City Blvd. Not sure where you're getting 10 miles to I35. I grant you it can take a while going down Williams Drive to I35 because of the traffic from Sun City, especially right now with all of the construction, but it's not because of the distance!

Takes no time at all to get from the Sun City Blvd. entrance to I35, but then you're a couple minutes north of Georgetown on I35.

I live 13 miles north of Georgetown east of I35 and I can get to my office right next to the Sun City entrance on Williams Drive in 20 minutes if I take the back way down Shell Road.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:38 PM

4 posts, read 5,458 times
well i live in teh back part of sun city, or the closer side to 195, there is no reason to take 195 however as I often need to stop at the HEB , Walgreens etc which is located on williams as you know, I reset my odometer to 0 and drove from my drive way on bonham loop to the entrance of sun city at del webb blvd and williams drive and that is 3 miles alone, add another 7 to get to i 35 where you finally get to get on the freeway and its right at 10 miles, so now you know where i got that figure, my cars odometer, for me living out here is way to far out of Austin, I am more of a city person as i like to have the things a city offers more of, like my gym, there are no big good gyms in Georgetown. On the good side of things, I love to hike, its very nice here, quite scenic and very green. And the people are all friendly in teh stores etc. I grew up in Houston so you think a 10 mile drive to a freeway wouldnt bother me, but it does LOL mainly because that combined with the ride from g town to dwtn austin makes my gas bill huge. I will say I had no idea there were so many deer here in teh georgetown area, you really have to watch them late at night driving home, even in teh daytime sometimes they can run across teh road. plese excuse my typing idont have time to correct the typos, but you should be able to understand it

Old 09-16-2010, 02:01 PM

2,545 posts, read 506,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftyFiftyAboutCO View Post
Look out for the unreasonable taxes if you're considering Sun City in Georgetown. I lived there 2 years, from '98 to '00. Do not believe what the salespeople say about taxes -- go to the town and see for yourself. The locals think it's okay for retirees to get taxed to death to support other people's kids.

A couple other points:

I belonged to two groups while at Sun City: the Astronomy branch of the Nature Club, and also the Woodshop (I was one of 15 women who belonged to that). Also spent Wednesday nights with a nice group of folks in the Woodcarving group. But other than that, and the fact I enjoyed my neighbors very much, I thought the place was pretty dead. There are snob groups, as you can well imagine where there's golf, bridge, and tennis. In the summertime, the place clears out and then it's really boring. Since the OP is a native Texan, I needn't mention the hot weather, but it was one of the top 3 reasons I left and moved back to Colorado (should have never left here in the first place -- it was for a job promotion).

I've recently spoken with friends who still live in Sun City Georgetown. They say the roads around there are choked and a total pain in the neck. I wouldn't move back to Georgetown if they gave me a red carpet to walk in on and a brand new house for free. Caveat emptor. If you like high taxes and heat, then it's a great place -- for you.

where did you move to that is better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin